Software

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
caLRo wrote:
grejppi wrote:This is a perfectly fine and legitimate question -- what's so silly about it? o:
Yes, it can be a fine and legitimate question, but the original post somewhat downplayed it. That was silly. Switching DAW is of course serious matter. No need to apologize for being irrelevant. Forum is about LMMS, but we can also talk about other DAWs.

@Leche, why do you want to switch to another DAW? Is it due to a shortcoming of LMMS?
I downplayed it? What the fuck is that about? Anyway. I'm switching to heighten the amount of actual quality and amplification and generally better systems of user interface.
slipstick wrote:The other DAW I use is Reaper. Much better at audio handling and I like the music notation view for MIDI data. It also has a first class community for getting help (at least as good as this forum). The down side is that it takes quite a bit of learning.

Whether it would suit you I have absolutely no idea. No-one can have unless you give some clear idea what you're looking for in another DAW.

Steve
I need a good price. Sorry :/
Just to give you another option. This used to be free like lmms, but its not 100% free anymore.

http://community.ardour.org/download

https://ardour.org/features.html
Leche wrote:I need a good price. Sorry :/
If $60 for a fully featured DAW is too much for you I'd stick with LMMS ;).

Steve
slipstick wrote:
Leche wrote:I need a good price. Sorry :/
If $60 for a fully featured DAW is too much for you I'd stick with LMMS ;).

Steve
Wait... I thought reaper was like $600 or something.
musikbear wrote:Talk with Umcaruje
He recently went through that 'process' and is a big fan of bitwig
The pricetag is reasonable
^what he said. I'm now a full time Bitwig user, and just work on LMMS development. I paid 209€ for it with the student discount, and I must say its one of my best investments. The switch wasn't so recent though, it's already been months.

Before buying Bitwig I had to pirate so I actually learn it and see that I want it. I tried FL, but I didn't quite like it (to be fair, I didn't like neither LMMS nor Bitwig on the first try, grew on me on a second). What I really like about Bitwig is that it works with Linux. The workflow is amazing, and its probably the best DAW on Linux, period. It can edit audio, sequence or so whatever you possibly imagine. Multiband splitting is extremely easy, takes two clicks.

And also, Bitwig is literally uncrashable. Plugins are sandboxed, so when a plugin crashes it does not take the software with it. Also the Engine and the GUI are completely seperated, which means the engine can crash, and you can still save your work, or just restart the engine.

So that was our daily segment of Umcaruje, the walking Bitwig commercial. Nobody pays me to say this. I don't work for Bitwig. I just really really really really love it and can't recommend it enough.
umcaruje wrote:
musikbear wrote:Talk with Umcaruje
He recently went through that 'process' and is a big fan of bitwig
The pricetag is reasonable
^what he said. I'm now a full time Bitwig user, and just work on LMMS development. I paid 209€ for it with the student discount, and I must say its one of my best investments. The switch wasn't so recent though, it's already been months.

Before buying Bitwig I had to pirate so I actually learn it and see that I want it. I tried FL, but I didn't quite like it (to be fair, I didn't like neither LMMS nor Bitwig on the first try, grew on me on a second). What I really like about Bitwig is that it works with Linux. The workflow is amazing, and its probably the best DAW on Linux, period. It can edit audio, sequence or so whatever you possibly imagine. Multiband splitting is extremely easy, takes two clicks.

And also, Bitwig is literally uncrashable. Plugins are sandboxed, so when a plugin crashes it does not take the software with it. Also the Engine and the GUI are completely seperated, which means the engine can crash, and you can still save your work, or just restart the engine.

So that was our daily segment of Umcaruje, the walking Bitwig commercial. Nobody pays me to say this. I don't work for Bitwig. I just really really really really love it and can't recommend it enough.
Hmm... is it in my budget though? I'm assuming it works on a lot of systems?
Hmm, a bit out of my range. Maybe sometime.
Leche wrote:I also want something not too complicated. Something that won't make me repeat another two years of experience.
Another important thing to consider is, since you have been using LMMS for a while, to look for a DAW in which you can leverage your production skills you already have. That way you will spend less time doing tutorials, and have more time actually producing tracks. A lot of former LMMS users have switched to FL Studio since that DAW has many similarities.

Still, FL Studio is considerably bigger than LMMS, and to master the DAW you will have to invest some time learning it, in addition to money for the initial purchase. FL Studio's future updates are free, which is a big plus in my opinion.

You may be a big fish in a small pond now, but FL Studio and other commercial DAWs are big ponds, with big fish.