What LMMS Stands For

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
vl;rc (very long; read carefully)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=446

Due to various reasons, both practical and opinion-based, I think it's better keep the name. If you want to read up on the conversation on this matter (which flared up and got heated a couple of times), head over to LMMS Discord server.

What this means is that LMMS is going to remain the official acronym. Its full name will be LMMS, and it will also be stylized as such.

As you may know, "Linux Multi-Media Studio" was the old name that was dropped some time ago. Since then, nothing else has taken its place other than the four bare letters that were familiar to all. But as LMMS continued to draw more users, those who didn't know about the previous name were left with a mystery: What do the four letters actually stand for? If they do a quick online search or have a look on our current existing homepage, they could conclude that LMMS is "Linux Multi-Media Studio" or something along the lines of "Let's Make Music Studio". But till this day, nothing has been official, except for the four letters.

In the past there have been attempts to rename LMMS and rebrand it. Not much progress has been made, because the name "Linux Multi-Media Studio" is still commonly associated with LMMS. As a name and brand, LMMS needs to be strong enough stand on its own, but at the same time, its four letters are wide open for all kinds of interpretations, both good and bad.

I believe we should embrace this ambiguity and turn it into something positive. Let's make a list of all the good things LMMS could stand for.

There's probably a marketing buzzword/acronym for this (Proactive Ambiguous Branding Strategy or whatever), but the idea serves as an alternative to having a single official meaning of a brand. By coming up with a positive list of things a brand COULD stand for, you effectively avoid having to decide the one thing it SHOULD stand for. This seems like a good solution to the LMMS branding problem.

I would like to ask you to submit ideas of what LMMS could stand for. I'll try to keep this list updated (alphabetical order). For the next stable release of LMMS there will also be a new homepage. We can post the list there as a way of promoting the brand.

---

LMMS IS:

:idea: Lead Melody Making Studio

:idea: Leisure Music Making Studio

:idea: Let's Make Music Studio

:idea: Libre Multi Media Studio (new)

:idea: Libre Music Maker Software

:idea: Libre Music Maker Studio (new)

:idea: Linear Modulation Matrix System (new)

:idea: Linux Music Maker Studio (new)

:idea: Little Music Making System

:idea: Loud Mallets Making Sounds

:idea: Love Modulating Monstro Synth

:idea:

just say it fast.. : LMMS, and you will hear your self saying 'Elements'
LMMS Is modular and you use all the various blocks of elements to build your stuff. I believe it was Mikobunto that first said Elements, i have kept to that since, in all tutorials i made here
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIfZfd ... vp6C8XAJUw

bidk.. 'leisure music making studio' could also fit the bill
Elements is better
musikbear wrote:just say it fast.. : LMMS, and you will hear your self saying 'Elements'
How we pronounce LMMS is less important than finding meanings behind the acronym. My suggestion was "lumms", based on "Let us Make Music Studio", but any way will do. People are free to pronounce it the way they want.
caLRo wrote: People are free to pronounce it the way they want.
That was not what Miko meant, he said Its name is 'Elements' but it is spelled LMMS. He also had an other example of ..somthing i cant remember what, but there was the same philosophy used
Name: [normal english word]
spelled: acronym
My opinion is that LMMS should remain the official acronym. However, what it stands for I think should Libre/Linux MusicMaker Studio or even just Libre MultiMedia Studio. Other than that, I see no reason to change it.

Part of my reasoning is that using Libre as part of the name would help provide a reference of sorts to another Linux software port, LibreOffice (the Linux-based equivalent of Microsoft Office).

My only qualm I have with using MultiMedia as part of the name is the fact that LMMS is less oriented towards all forms of multimedia whereas audacity is much more useful and/or friendly towards all/most audio codecs and is devoted to file manipulation more than production.

In short, I support the original LMMS acronym, and favor these names in this order:
Libre MusicMaker Studio
Linux MusicMaker Studio
The Original Name
Libre MultiMedia Studio
musikbear wrote:
caLRo wrote: People are free to pronounce it the way they want.
That was not what Miko meant, he said Its name is 'Elements' but it is spelled LMMS. He also had an other example of ..somthing i cant remember what, but there was the same philosophy used
Name: [normal english word]
spelled: acronym
That could have been an interesting idea, but I don't think our DAW is known as "Elements" outside of speech. We are sort of committed to "LMMS" now.
musikbear wrote:Its name is 'Elements' but it is spelled LMMS.
I'm sorry, but how does this make any sense?
Ok, these names are just kinda cheesy, and Libre could scare people off because it has ties to Linux, now, there is nothing wrong with Linux, I just know that there are people that despise Linux, and anything Linux based. I like musikbears I idea a lot, because it's memorable, cool and makes sense.
Personally I can't stand Linux and I'm not fond if its over-enthusiastic fans...but that didn't for a second stop me trying LMMS and finding that it worked for me. If you look at any lists of free DAWs LMMS is usually in there and every list I've seen tells you which operating systems it actually works on.

BTW I use LibreOffice too, still on Windows. That name didn't frighten me either.

Steve
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote:Ok, these names are just kinda cheesy, and Libre could scare people off because it has ties to Linux, now, there is nothing wrong with Linux, I just know that there are people that despise Linux, and anything Linux based. I like musikbears I idea a lot, because it's memorable, cool and makes sense.
I'd think it would be far less intimidating than actually using Linux in the name. Besides, Libre literally translates to free.