What LMMS Stands For

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote:Ok, these names are just kinda cheesy
There are going to be some cheesy names on the list for sure. The list is a reflection of the many different ways people use the software and the many different reasons why people love it. We're not trying to define LMMS in its totality per se. But what we can do is putting some specifics of the DAW in the spotlight by creating names for them that can be abbreviated with "LMMS".
caLRo, I'm really sorry, but I just can't find another way to put this... :c

Are you aware that without any contributions to LMMS one can't really go around rebranding the project?
grejppi wrote: I'm sorry, but how does this make any sense?
You know like any other acronym
fi. 'afaik' when you see that you know that it 'as far as i know'
but
I think i messed Mikos idea
! it is NOT mine !
up a bit with the word 'spelled'.
I think its better to say 'pronounced' as Elements
So when you read LMMS you pronounced is as "Elements"
davisjacobym wrote:
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote:Ok, these names are just kinda cheesy, and Libre could scare people off because it has ties to Linux, now, there is nothing wrong with Linux, I just know that there are people that despise Linux, and anything Linux based. I like musikbears I idea a lot, because it's memorable, cool and makes sense.
I'd think it would be far less intimidating than actually using Linux in the name. Besides, Libre literally translates to free.
You're right, it does, and if we aren't going to completely change the name, I think that Libre Music Making Studio would be our best bet honestly.

@musikbear

That's a neat acronym, I see that a lot, I like it,
grejppi wrote:caLRo, I'm really sorry, but I just can't find another way to put this... :c

Are you aware that without any contributions to LMMS one can't really go around rebranding the project?
I was aware of it since yesterday. I understand that a proper rebrand isn't really possible right now, but at least we can use the solution I proposed here to help promote the upcoming release. We then also have ways to explain the brand in a more positive way, rather than keeping it void and letting the old rejected name float to the surface.
caLRo wrote:
I was aware of it since yesterday. I understand that a proper rebrand isn't really possible right now, but at least we can use the solution I proposed here to help promote the upcoming release. We then also have ways to explain the brand in a more positive way, rather than keeping it void and letting the old rejected name float to the surface.
The 2.0 release? If that's coming up, than the need for a name just doubled, and I think the two names we have is "Elements" and "Libre Music Making/Maker Studio" unless of course, a better option is presented.

I think it was either you or Jacoby that said that LMMS isn't exactly a multi media program, and I agree, that's why I don't think "Multi Media" should be in the name.

Edit: it was Jacoby who said that.
Did somebody call for a Linux fan?

The way I see it, Linux multi media studio causes confusion, because people assume it will only work on Linux.
To me hats good enough reason to fine tune the name

I wonder if we could sue something like LAME ( Lame aint a mp3 encoder )

nLMMS Not Linux multimedia studio ?

Just some brainstorming.

I like the elements suggestion.
Seriously? You want Elements to be the official full name? I thought what musikbear said was regarding the pronunciation of LMMS. In any case, it's unlikely to happen. As I have said in my original post, we need "LMMS" to stand by itself, while at the same time surround it with positive acronym interpretations.
caLRo wrote:Seriously? You want Elements to be the official full name? I thought what musikbear said was regarding the pronunciation of LMMS. In any case, it's unlikely to happen. As I have said in my original post, we need "LMMS" to stand by itself, while at the same time surround it with positive acronym interpretations.
...maybe...

But I also like the Libre music maker/making studio.
caLRo wrote:Seriously? You want Elements to be the official full name? I thought what musikbear said was regarding the pronunciation of LMMS. In any case, it's unlikely to happen. As I have said in my original post, we need "LMMS" to stand by itself, while at the same time surround it with positive acronym interpretations.
I think that is gonna be very hard, to keep LMMS and give it a better meaning.
Does not mean we should not try though.