Idea for Best of LMMS

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Okay, so here recently I've heard a lot of songs made totally with loops on LMMS, even had some one i know use them, and honestly i feel like they don't deserve to be in the competition to begin with, so i was wondering if you guys (Judges) should have the contestants put the .mmpz in with the submission to make sure there is no major loop usage.

Just my thoughts, i think it would weed out any "Cheaters".
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote:Okay, so here recently I've heard a lot of songs made totally with loops on LMMS,
When you say loops, do you mean like 3rd party melody loops and such? :geek:
brandystarbrite wrote:
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote:Okay, so here recently I've heard a lot of songs made totally with loops on LMMS,
Yes. Heres an example, Person 1 makes a decent song all with stuff he made himself, person 2 makes an entire song out of a sample pack e.g virtual riot dubstep packs, with whole drops in .wav form. and person 2 wins the best of LMMS. Its dishonest and Immoral.
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote:
brandystarbrite wrote:
Yes. Heres an example, Person 1 makes a decent song all with stuff he made himself, person 2 makes an entire song out of a sample pack e.g virtual riot dubstep packs, with whole drops in .wav form. and person 2 wins the best of LMMS. Its dishonest and Immoral.
Yep. You have a point there and I agree.
For a nice competition like this, it is probably better, Lmms users make everything by themselves from scratch.
Good point. :geek:
brandystarbrite wrote: Yep. You have a point there and I agree.
For a nice competition like this, it is probably better, Lmms users make everything by themselves from scratch.
Good point. :geek:
The most reasonable way to implement such an idea would be to only request the .mmpz files once a song has been determined to be part of the winning selection.
I use the odd percussion loop because I don't own all the instruments and I can't play that well anyway. Is that allowed in your view ? Or is that cheating ?

If you want to insist on "all stuff he made himself" then shouldn't you also ban samples (unless someone can prove he recorded them himself). And how about presets for synths ? Shouldn't you have designed your own sounds rather than just using someone else's work ?

It seems to me that for the "Best songs made with LMMS", if people want to use sounds/samples/loop kits that are readily available out there then I can't see why not. Isn't that effectively the way many songs are put together these days, pretty much what many famous and professional DJs do anyway ?

Steve
slipstick wrote:I use the odd percussion loop because I don't own all the instruments and I can't play that well anyway. Is that allowed in your view ? Or is that cheating ?

If you want to insist on "all stuff he made himself" then shouldn't you also ban samples (unless someone can prove he recorded them himself). And how about presets for synths ? Shouldn't you have designed your own sounds rather than just using someone else's work ?

It seems to me that for the "Best songs made with LMMS", if people want to use sounds/samples/loop kits that are readily available out there then I can't see why not. Isn't that effectively the way many songs are put together these days, pretty much what many famous and professional DJs do anyway ?

Steve
Why are you making this argument? You do realize LMMS allows you to arrange your own musical work instead of remixing other people's works. Everyone has access to everything it offers, so just because you use loops, doesn't mean you should. But here, let me break it down for the sake of an argument.

Take these samples for example: compare snare01.ogg with rave_snare01.ogg. Snare01 is a single hit, which can be used to make any number of continuous patterns, ergo music. Everyone would agree it doesn't count as a musical piece, and anyone arguing otherwise doesn't understand what makes music... music. Here's one definition: "Music - an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner."
Rave_snare01 is a loop, a structured and continuous pattern, which arguably can be considered a piece of musical work. Not a good piece of work, but a start. You didn't make it, and no one should be pretending so.
If you like a sound used in the loop, extract it. It's easy, just look where that sound is and crop it with the sample processor (whatever the name is).

As a fun fact, there is a thing called copyrighted samples, which are mostly vocal tracks (because copyrighting simpler samples would be futile). Loops are less so, because they are easily replicated, but please never take a vocal track to remix some popular song. It's pointless, and you'll likely sing better yourself anyway considering the amount of auto-tune artists use nowadays.

I'm trying to explain my point (and the original) in plain English. Creating music starts from point zero, where there is nothing "musical" on the table yet. You put two notes in a row, and VOILÁ, Music! If you take a loop, you take someone else's work. Granted, you could just arrange that yourself, but at least you did that yourself, freeing you to make changes as you see fit.

At some point, you are essentially just mixing and matching. If you take two loops (e.g. a bass- and a drumline), put them together and call it a day, you aren't producing anything original. You're doing a lazy remix. The same thing happens if you take moonlight sonata and add 4-to-the-floor drumline to it. BOOM! Moonlight sonata EPIC HOUSE REMIX by T4l3ntl3ss_f4ck666. A talented_f4ck at least would have arranged the piano and drums by himself, maybe even make changes to the piece (let's not go into "is that moonlight sonata anymore" -argument).

On the other end of the spectrum, you can't really ban synths or instrument sounds (samples), because then we wouldn't have music at all. As a very extreme example, the creator of piano could have just gone "NOPE, y'all ain't having it!", and we wouldn't have the most useful and rich sound in music.

As for popular DJs and shit, I'm not going there. I don't know how they operate, and it varies so much on a case to case basis. Ultimately it doesn't matter. "Best of LMMS" suggests that whatever you hear in the competition is made on LMMS. If someone who didn't know anything listened to any track on the playlist, and went "hey, that sounds cool! How do you do that?", you could give him the project file. Instead of going "Well, you know, I took it from this site" and deal with the accusations of "Technically, you didn't make that then?".
At the end of the day, without banning loops, someone could slap rave_bass02.ogg and 909beat01.ogg together, and submit that. There is nothing original, there is nothing to show that you made it, there's nothing to show that you could replicate that. Hell, there is no way for you to change anything if you wanted to, because it's all in the sample.

It came out as a bit of a rant, but hopefully you picked something up from this.
TL;DR: Yes, I support banning loops. If you don't, chances are you either can't or don't want to learn to make music legitimately. There certainly are means to do so
wooo easy now
we are all friends here :)
loops or no loops is kind of a philosophic subject.
Some of the most iconic songs has been made with looped samples. I dont think it is wise to restrict the creative process, and the jury will for sure recognize excessive usage of loops, but when is sample usage 'excessive' ?
Thats where the 'philosophic' angle kicks in.
If anyone have Further comments in this debate, please no 'personal' or derogatory remarks :)
Jernemies wrote:
slipstick wrote:It came out as a bit of a rant, but hopefully you picked something up from this.
Yes, I support banning loops. If you don't, chances are you either can't or don't want to learn to make music legitimately. There certainly are means to do so
Mainly I picked up that you are insulting and opinionated and you either didn't bother reading what you quoted or you aren't bright enough to understand it.

Do you really want to restrict everything to single note samples ? Apparently in your eyes "You put two notes in a row, and VOILÁ, Music!" so a sample which is more than a single hit is a piece of music which shouldn't be allowed. Fair enough but it's a lot more restrictive than the OP who just wanted to avoid "major loop usage".

I never mentioned banning synths...try reading again. I suggested that using PRESETS instead of designing your own sounds is not exactly ""all stuff he made himself". Spot the difference ?

I use very few 3rd party samples, I much prefer to record my own. I could easily argue that using someone else's samples is "cheating". If you want the sound of a trumpet you should buy a trumpet and learn to play it not just load some samples and program something like a trumpet line. Or perhaps you could program a synth to sound like a trumpet.

Of course thinking that way would stop many current music "producers" from creating anything because they can't play any instruments and can't or won't hire musicians to do it. So I don't want to do that. I like creativity. I just don't think that using the odd sample longer than a single note/hit means there's no creativity involved. YMMV.

Steve
Look guys, just cool it. The idea is simply to deter people from making songs entirely out of looped samples in the same fashion someone could via GarageBand. I don't think Pankakez is trying to say that single note samples (such as drum hits or atmospheric effects) or instrument presets are to be cut out. The idea is to promote creating original compositional works as opposed to arranging pre-composed samples released to the public domain. Stop the little insult match or Stakeout will swing the ban hammer in your direction. Given how the whole emanuelepepi incident went down, I wouldn't keep this going if I were either one of you.