LMMS for Film Scores?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
LMMS is a great free tool to use to create music but has anyone ever used it for film scores? Are there any professionals out there that has use LMMS commercially in his/her projects?

LMMS to me by default sounds too much electronica or dance and it doesn't have decent realistic strings or the traditional instruments. I would want to use LMMS for film scores but I would need those instruments and of course it has to be free.

I know LMMS supports VST and I was wondering if I should get Native Instruments Komplete as a last resort if no decent free VST are out there to meet my needs.

Any help and are there any examples out there that has LMMS used as a film score tool?
LMMS is a great free tool to use to create music but has anyone ever used it for film scores? Are there any professionals out there that has use LMMS commercially in his/her projects?

Hi! :D
From what I know so far, no. But I did read on this forum, a while back, that the Lazerblade guy uses it to perform live, or something like that. He has nice music too. He does Lmms Youtube tuts too.

There is one girl I know, on this forum, called kittynau, who is making songs for "Movie soundtracks, using Lmms."
"She's got very good at Lmms too. :)
Heard some of her Ambient Sound tracks, but she's not allowed to release her songs to the public, for listening though.
Because her "future manager," asked her to do so. :(
So far, I'm the only one who, she secretly allows to "listen and judge," all of her Theatrical scores.

It's a fun job though. :D

LMMS to me by default sounds too much electronica or dance and it doesn't have decent realistic strings or the traditional instruments.
Nah. That's one of the reasons some people, including myself use Lmms. "Anyone say......Dance Music." Yay!!
It's the Main reason why I use Lmms.

Believe it or not, the same has been said with samples from other DAW's too.
Some" FL Studio and other DAW users, have actually said that FL Studios samples, eg. strings, drums and traditional instruments actually suck! And others have said, that they sound good enough, and close to the real thing.
I was kinda surprised, when I read some of "those" comments from DAW users across the board.
But then again, everyone has there own take or preferences when it comes to DAW's and how their samples sound.
I know LMMS supports VST and I was wondering if I should get Native Instruments Komplete as a last resort if no decent free VST are out there to meet my needs.
Someone else on this forum, has "recently,"made this mention too. So search for these "recent," comments.
I read on this forum, of users who admit using the Komplete thingy and Lmms. So go for it. ;)
Are there any examples out there that has LMMS used as a film score tool?
I would not pretend to know the answer to this question, but so far, the best I can say is "probably," in due time.
The girl I mentioned before, has been told to make some "orchestral," sound tracks for movies as examples for now.
And from what I've heard. Wow! :shock:
From listening to it, I still can't believe that was done in Lmms. But it makes sense though.

There are alot of "Lmms Classical music musicians," here on the Lmms forum.
And some of their music, does sound more like stuff from a Final Fantasy, Zelda, or Star Wars movie or Video game.

If you want, I could post some links for some of them. But that's up to you.

Hope that helped. :mrgreen:
The quality of sound of your strings and traditional instruments really depends on the quality of your SAMPLES, doesn't it? Are there programs out there that can synthesis realistic sounding traditional instruments???
Hy everyone! Hello Brandy :)
Yes it is true that it is possible to make orchestral music for movies on LMMS. But that is hard to do, and the quality of samples not the only problem.It is rare when I use original LMMS samples, I am taking samples from real instruments in philharmonic orchestra, -and that is how I usually get the quality of samples. Next to do is work a lot on each notes, with different plugins, many kind of automatization, and mastering, than only I can hear the "orchestral" sound of instruments, so it is always a tough work to do. :?
Hy everyone! Hello Brandy
Hi Kitty. Nice to see you on the Lmms forums again. :D

The quality of sound of your strings and traditional instruments really depends on the quality of your SAMPLES, doesn't it? Are there programs out there that can synthesis realistic sounding traditional instruments???
Yeah sketchman3 and johnnydwicked. You can try Lmms' ZynAddsubFX.
Or if you're looking for 3rd Party Vst's, then check out, DSK musics Vst's.
They're real cool.

But be careful, some of them don't play nice with Lmms. :shock:

So to be safe side, check the Lmms Wiki. It has some of the Dsk Vst's, and others, that work "nice," with Lmms.

Or, if you want the "almost full, indepth list of Dsk Vst's that work in Lmms,.................."

Check in this same, Generals Section: DSK VSTs That work in Lmms 0.4.13 Enjoy! By Brandy Starbrite
Written by me.

Enjoy. Tell me what you guy's think. :mrgreen:

PS: Sorry about that dudes. I forgot to mention this info earlier before, in my first post, in this topic.
It was past 12:00 am in the night and I was tired too. Lol! getting sleepy.
No reason why it can't. Many of the included samples and most of those used to build free soundfonts tend to cut off a tad hard. ZynAdd and VSTs seem a bit better in that regard (less sample and more synthesis), and you can also tweak the envelope on audio file samples to make them sound a bit less "samply". Also clever use of FX to add a bit more "randomness" or ambience helps alot, but it takes a bit of experimenting to learn how to make FX work in your favor.

I'd also say it's possible based on this little bit I did... https://soundcloud.com/pauljs75/rough-w ... ead-exerpt
Not perfect, but not bad considering what little I know.

Also these songs made using LMMS I've found may be worth a listen to get an idea of what's possible...
http://youtu.be/0UfA4lidl6I
http://youtu.be/PjcEJN1-Ug0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWbis_iDZMQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0WN8V5AcM

---Edit---
I think there's some "Brony" musician out there that did a few really nice orchestral/instrumental tracks with LMMS, but I guess I forgot to bookmark those or they'd be on that list. Unfortunately I can't recall the name.
Many of the included samples and most of those used to build free soundfonts tend to cut off a tad hard.
This is why i think it'd be cool if LMMS's sample processor had a loop point separate from the "start" point.
sketchman3 wrote:
Many of the included samples and most of those used to build free soundfonts tend to cut off a tad hard.
This is why i think it'd be cool if LMMS's sample processor had a loop point separate from the "start" point.
Hmmm............that's an interesting point. :geek:
I like it.
sketchman3 wrote:
That is an interesting idea...

Not just a loop point, but loop start and end, and some feature to loop that segment during the envelope hold period.

Would also be good to have an option to detect zero-crossings of the wave form and snap to them. That would help get rid of some pops and clicks in looping patterns. (That's a plenty handy feature in Audacity when it comes to making seamless audio loops.)

Such a thing would also imply pitch shifting instead of just doing sample stretching... I guess we'll have to wait for "AudioFileProcessor 2.0".
And back on the main topic of LMMS for film scores...

Not one to point out a thread... But it came after this one was posted.

This guy... He knows what he's doing. :mrgreen:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/lmms ... ?f=5&t=912

His soundcloud... Listen to it. 8-)