Thin Places

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
After posting in a LMMS topic here : https://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25721 I tried to use some of the feedback about getting a 'bigger sound' in my next track which, though not the original genre I was asking about; still helped beef it up a bit - so thanks for the helpful words.

This experimental tune 'Thin Places' is a combination of LMMS for all the piano roll, the instrumentation, VSTi's (such as the rather interesting AquesTone2), EQ's and so on. I tidied it up using Sonar LE: http://oestmannstudio.blogspot.com.au/2 ... laces.html. Not a tune for eveyone but I had fun making it. Cheers.
About getting a bigger sound, to complete what slipstick had evoked on the layering, you can also use parallel processing.

Example with drums:

1) Imagine that you have 3 elements: kick, snare and hat.
2) You assign each of these elements to a slice of the mixer. So you have 3 slices.
3) Now, you can send the signal of each of these slices into a new slice called “Drums”. So you only have one slice through which your 3 elements pass.
4) From "Drums", you can send the signal to 2 other slices (or more) : the first will be dry of any effect, and the second will contain effects (clipper, compressor, equalizer, reverb or whatever you want). So, now you would have two slices (one without effect, the other with effects) through which your Drums signal passes.
5) Now, you can mix these 2 slices with the volume fader (or with the SEND knob from "Drums").

The advantage of parallel processing is that you lose nothing of your original signal (since it passes through the slice that contains no effect).

Combining layering and parallel processing is one way to get a 'bigger sound'.

(well, for the moment, I do not use this technique in the tracks published on my Soundloud account)
D.Ipsum wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:27 pm
...you can also use parallel processing...
Thanks for this; if you are aware of any video tutorials, that would be great too. Cheers :D
Nice fun sounding tune. :)
And the vid is interesting too.
I like the part, with the near transparent glassy orb, on the sunset beach. 8-)
brandystarbrite wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:34 am
Nice fun sounding tune. :) And the vid is interesting too. I like the part, with the near transparent glassy orb, on the sunset beach. 8-)
@brandystarbrite thanks for listening/watching. It's great having access to creative commons/public domain vids...the bit you mentioned (at 2:33) was originally quiet... but I thought I'd better wake up anyone who fell asleep with a short stab of Dubstep ;)
eastperson wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:50 am
D.Ipsum wrote:
...you can also use parallel processing...
Thanks for this; if you are aware of any video tutorials, that would be great too. Cheers :D
Mmh, I've never done a video tutorial, and I'm not equipped for that.
I will see what I can put on the LSP.
D.Ipsum wrote:
...you can also use parallel processing......I will see what I can put on the LSP.
I'll try what you said anyway 8-)
Basically, it's like parallel compression (a lot of info on the net), except that you can use other effects than the compressor.
D.Ipsum wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:33 pm
Basically, it's like parallel compression (a lot of info on the net), except that you can use other effects than the compressor.
Thanks D.Ipsum - I'll be checking this out 8-)