Finally! A not-so-terrible track to share!!!

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Okay, so I've been blustering and blundering around with LMMS now for what seems like a fair bit of my life now and, I have to say, I have a personal track record (pun not intended...okay, it was very intended) of making some absolute terrible nonsense! The kind of stuff that stops me from sleeping comfortably at night it was that bad. And yet (glutton for punishment that I am) I kept coming back to LMMS, wanting to intermittently continue on the quest of music-making mastery. Low and behold, after more organised faffery, a bit of soul-searching and inspiration, and 0.02% improvement, I finally made something half-decent that I actually don't mind sharing! :mrgreen:

I know I've got a long way to go before I make anything much better and this track is in it's rougher and rawer stages/is a WIP/is a half-baked piece of bread needing a final mix-down (currently still learning about mixing and mastering) but I figured, especially as I'm impatient, why not share at least one rough diamond, eh? :P Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/matthiasblackhea ... -rough-mix

More to come soon...

~#mFQ#~
Hello !

It's actually well done !
I am usually no fan of repetitive patterns, but you introduced a very nice bridge in the middle, and the variations you built were enough to keep me processing, so that's a win!

carry on like this !

On a more personal note, I am astonished that you share only your best works, while I am sitting there sharing every single piece I produce with LMMS, although I am yet to discover the art of mixing.
I am curious about what else you have in your bag.
The track holds the road, the rest area in the middle of the ride is well located., nice view.
qantuum wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:56 pm
Hello !

It's actually well done !
I am usually no fan of repetitive patterns, but you introduced a very nice bridge in the middle, and the variations you built were enough to keep me processing, so that's a win!

carry on like this !

On a more personal note, I am astonished that you share only your best works, while I am sitting there sharing every single piece I produce with LMMS, although I am yet to discover the art of mixing.
I am curious about what else you have in your bag.
Hey there!

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm actually not a fan of repetitive patterns myself, believe it or not, although I don't mind writing that way sometimes in my music for now depending on the track and until I'm fully immersed enough to know how to break the rules creatively.

And believe me, you wouldn't want me to share my "other" works as they are quite terrible. I might change my mind later on in the future, who knows. For now, I'll leave them in the basement :P

More to come soon, I promise!
D.Ipsum wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:48 am
The track holds the road, the rest area in the middle of the ride is well located., nice view.
What a nice way of putting the listening experience, haha! Thank you :D
musicFreQ wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:58 pm
I'm actually not a fan of repetitive patterns myself, believe it or not, although I don't mind writing that way sometimes in my music for now depending on the track and until I'm fully immersed enough to know how to break the rules creatively.
I like the idea of knowing the rules to better redefine them.

You can invent your own rules from the beginning, and explicitly, and modify them as things appear.

I have some tracks in which I wanted to follow the following rule: every 8th bars, what happens must evolve.
Depending on the track, you have to choose which elements will evolve in priority (one or several instruments, a melody, a rhythm, an EQ, etc.), and how they will evolve (a discrete change : white>black, or a continuous change, white>light gray> dark gray>black).
I had chosen the length of 8 bars so that the changes come quickly (but as it is necessary to renew ideas every 8 bars, the tracks I made according to this rule are rather short, between 2 and 3 minutes ... ).

I imagine that this kind of rule can help make repetition less obvious, more discreet.
Any progress.. is progress. For my taste the sound of the 8 bit synth is rugged and somewhat distractive, You could make those tracks with some modern synth sound like rhodes or some bells, would sound cool. To me the 8 bit synth sounds like a bee in a balloon that is wrapped in your head which is not so pleasant, but I guess there is the nostalgy factor which comes with 8 bit sound, which is fine but outdated, I am more of a 16 bit SNES music fan, like DK music is fantastic (listen to stickerbrush symphony for example, no doubt there is no other option but to love it, David Wise is wizard of the digital sound domain).

Absolutely keep grooving and keep doing whatever you find that you can make progress in your spiritual path with.
Music and arts are the great tool and for that. :)
Soundin' goooood. ^_^
But somehow, I wish it was a tiny bit faster. :)
Out of curiousity, what tempo did you use for this tune?
I like it. For some weird reason the repetitive Bass riff reminds me of some of Mr. Oizo's work. Cool stuff :D
D.Ipsum wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:37 pm
musicFreQ wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:58 pm
I'm actually not a fan of repetitive patterns myself, believe it or not, although I don't mind writing that way sometimes in my music for now depending on the track and until I'm fully immersed enough to know how to break the rules creatively.
I like the idea of knowing the rules to better redefine them.

You can invent your own rules from the beginning, and explicitly, and modify them as things appear.

I have some tracks in which I wanted to follow the following rule: every 8th bars, what happens must evolve.
Depending on the track, you have to choose which elements will evolve in priority (one or several instruments, a melody, a rhythm, an EQ, etc.), and how they will evolve (a discrete change : white>black, or a continuous change, white>light gray> dark gray>black).
I had chosen the length of 8 bars so that the changes come quickly (but as it is necessary to renew ideas every 8 bars, the tracks I made according to this rule are rather short, between 2 and 3 minutes ... ).

I imagine that this kind of rule can help make repetition less obvious, more discreet.
So do I. No point jumping the pool if you don't know how to swim.

What you described actually sounds a bit like something I want to do with certain tracks later on. Like changing up instruments, tempo or back-beat and keep the melody the same or similar, for example. Or have everything else change or evolve under the same beat, or even allow the whole thing to evolve over the time of the track, and etc and etc. Definitely have to check more of your stuff when I can to see how you approach it.