2 New Songs

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hey guys, got two more songs posted since I was last on the forums. Those of you who have listened to my songs before; I am curious as to whether or not my music is getting better in quality or staying about the same. I appreciate anyone taking the time to listen and commenting. Thanks all.

Houston:

https://soundcloud.com/strawbeary-jams/ ... ry-houston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-XZXcPwRIU

LeadSoul:

https://soundcloud.com/strawbeary-jams/ ... y-leadsoul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1kosfivET8
Houston and LeadSoul both sound really good.
And lovely sound quality on both tracks.
I'd say, that your music and sound quality, is improving alot. :)

Honestly, Leadsoul sounds really lovely and has an elegant sound to it too. :)
Are your tracks sorted in chronological order (on Soundcloud)?
The oldest ones below?

I download everything, and come back a little later.
brandystarbrite wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:06 am
Houston and LeadSoul both sound really good.
And lovely sound quality on both tracks.
I'd say, that your music and sound quality, is improving alot. :)

Honestly, Leadsoul sounds really lovely and has an elegant sound to it too. :)
Thank you brandystarbrite! You are always so supportive! <3 lol
I kind of feel like I'm hitting a wall. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to develop a song. Meaning, I would like to work on the songs having a more organic development; sometimes feels forces on transitions. However, that could be me being picky.

Anyway, thank you again!
D.Ipsum wrote: Are your tracks sorted in chronological order (on Soundcloud)?
The oldest ones below?

I download everything, and come back a little later.
Yes, D.Ipsum, they're on chronological order. I'm sorry for what you're going to hear early on... LOL
Before giving you my appreciation, I want to specify that I do not have a deep theoretical knowledge of music, I am even strongly limited.

I downloaded your 17 tracks published on Soundcloud via a site that converted them to .mp3. I listened to all the tracks once, one after the other, following their order of publication. The oldest track was released 6 months ago, which is a relatively short time to appreciate your progress

What caught my attention is that your 17 tracks have a strong homogeneity between them:
- a similar tempo, rather slow;
- a similar "mind", rather calm, generating in me a rather limited range of emotions;
- similar instrumentation, with emphasis on the "piano", or more elongated "piano" pads;
- a similar pianistic phrasing, descending slightly in the low, rising little in the high;
- a similar rhythm, with drums consisting mainly of samples, some of which are used on several tracks (e.g. the snare);
- a spectrum of frequencies favoring the bass (below and around 100Hz), with slopes of amplitude which decrease strongly well before 1kHz, and beautiful holes around 2kHz (it is related to the samples of drums), and sometimes bumps between 5 and 10 kHz;
- rather few variations in the second parts of the tracks;
- an outro often cut off (when exporting the track, the long amplitude releases, the tails of reverb and other effects are cut before reaching silence. I advise you to place an empty pattern of BBEditor at the end of the track. In general, 4 bars of silence are enough);

Now, I would categorize these 17 tracks into two groups:
- Group 1 (the old tracks) : Revision, Intentions, Your Eyes, Seeing Is Believing, Next Part, Always Counting, Souls Are Made Of, Esoterica, Levels, Honos.
- Group 2 (the new tracks): Flow, Vigil, Just History, Better Off, Landlocked, LeadSoul, Houston.

The "critical" observations mentioned above are mainly for group 1.

Group 2 partially answers these "criticisms". The improvement of the quality of your tracks is perceptible if we compare these two groups. In group 2, I noticed a highlight of other instruments than the piano: the timbre of the bass and other lead synth is much more worked, more textured, and they compete to capture my attention with the "piano ". The general spectrum of this group has improved (new mixing techniques?). In some tracks, the timbre of the drums seems more worked and sounds different compared to the tracks of the group 1. In two tracks, there is also a change of tempo, or at least rhytmic accelerations and slowdowns. This group also plays more with voice samples (voices of men and women). Etc.

So, to answer your question: yes, I hear an improvement in the quality of your tracks. The tracks of group 2 give me the impression that you are gradually leaving your comfort zone, that you start attaching more importance to certain aspects of your compositions.

I can not be much more relevant in my analysis.

If I can give some advice:
- Do not neglect any instruments! They are all important!
- Drums: diversify the stock of samples, and/or synthesize your drums, diversify rhythms;
- Tempo: diversify tempi?
- Synth: continue your experimentation on textured bass and lead synth, diversify your palette of timbres;
- Use the right part of your keyboard, the high notes, from C5 to C8;
- Continue to explore the use of voice samples;
- Continue to develop your mix techniques;
- Make sure to balance your frequency spectrum;
- ?

That's it, I do not see what else I could say. I guess you were already well aware of what I said. In the best case, it would be a confirmation of your own observations.

What do you think?
WOW D.Ipsum, I'm blown away. Thank you for such a thorough review! I agree with the grouping you have listed, and am pleased that I have improved going into group 2. I suppose part of my problem with branching out too far is I don't want to lose the feeling behind the songs. I admit, most of my songs do not come from a necessarily 'happy' place, so that explain the lack of emotional range/vibes these tracks give off. Honestly, in a way its always refreshing that you can see that they have a lack of range. I will work on changing up the drums and pay more attention to their arrangement for depth's sake. I have a couple songs I've been experimenting with in that way; so far so good! I will save this critique to look back on!

On a serious note...

D.Ipsum and brandystarbrite. I want to thank both of you so much for always giving me feedback and listening to my music. I truly means the world that someone would take the time out of their busy day to listen to some random dudes music on the internet. I'm sure everyone on this site knows the struggle of just getting people to take a listen to just a part of one song. You both have been consistent, kind, constructive, and professional; and for that I thank you! Huge respect!

Also, sorry it took me so long to reply, I work weekends and rarely have time to check anything during that time!
I did not mention that I appreciate your tracks. When I wrote that they would generate in me a restricted range of emotions, it was more a statement than a criticism. It made me think of the notion of variation on a theme found in painting for example: https://fineartamerica.com/featured/sti ... btree.html (link chosen randomly).