My first track in LMMS: electronic/ambient

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hi!
I am new on this forum and have started using LMMS 2 months ago. This is the first DAW programme I am using. And I must say, it is the best thing that happened to me in terms of musical possibilities ever. Its simplicity and what you can do with samples is so surprising. I have never suspected that I can create by my own hands, my own music that I may even enjoy.

Here is my track. Beat is made totally from scratches, mostly with use of samples available in the library. The main melody line is made of SF2 instrument called ambiance and rest is some fun random samples I made from voices.

I would recommend listening to it with some good headphones.

https://soundcloud.com/ppndp/deskokanadyjskie-v02

Hope someone may like it :)
You're welcome!

I appreciate, good atmosphere, good rhythmic research.

Some "kicks" seem panned, or seem to go from left to right. I would center these "kicks", I find that the impact is more pleasant (with headphones) when it is centered.. The C * Narrower effect allows you to do this (0 = unchanged signal, 1 = mono signal, intermediate values gradually reduce the stereo width).
Thanks for the listening and precious remarks! I made it panned consciously. Personally, when everything is centered it sounds a bit flat, and in headphones it is more interesting when you hear sounds from the one side to another interchangeably. But I think it is a matter of individual taste. I will try to change some things and check how it sounds with settings you proposed.
Yes, clearly, it is a subjective opinion, my own taste, although it is generally advisable to maintain the low frequencies in mono (it is even "obliged" for a vinyl pressing).
D.Ipsum wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:01 pm
Yes, clearly, it is a subjective opinion, my own taste, although it is generally advisable to maintain the low frequencies in mono (it is even "obliged" for a vinyl pressing).
Interesting! I didn't know. I just found this information in the internet
"First, why is it important to make sure that the lower frequencies of your mix are in mono, especially if it’s aimed for clubs?
The “low end” is the FUNDAMENTAL in electronic dance music. The low end holds the energy of your whole track so it needs to be as solid (and punchy) as possible."(http://howtomakeelectronicmusic.com/why ... d-in-mono/)
So does it apply to all music or only dance music, designed for the floor?

In my case, I bet no one ever will dance to my music :D
Basically, there are technical reasons related to the support (eg the vynil), the diffusion mode (the clubs often broadcast in mono), psychoacoustics (the low frequencies are not very directional), and other reasons that I do not know. I do not think that the musical genre is part of the explanation.
Nice work making this.
It really has an unusual feel and ambience to it. :)