New(ish)bie upload gets a slight upgrade...or two

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
So, do you remember my first track upload? Star Bounce??? Of course you don't! Well, needless to say, I've sent it off to the shop for a minimal upgrade (all I can afford right now, you see) so now it sounds less like a "Mr. Oizo" reject and more like the cool, calm, collected intergalactic joyride carnival that it was destined to be! :lol:

Without further ado, here they are:

https://soundcloud.com/matthiasblackhea ... d-versions

And the original, in case you missed it:

https://soundcloud.com/matthiasblackhea ... -rough-mix

Yeah, I said "they". Got a bit carried away and ended up with two versions. One has a more subtle low-end that sounds and feels a bit warmer and allows everything else to shine through a bit more, and the other has a "sharper", more percussive and fuzzier bass to add a bit more "texture" to move to (if that makes sense). Either way, both versions serve their own purposes and sound better than the original, no? And both are still WIPs, by the way.

What do you think? Do they sound better than the original? Worse? One better than the other? Equally good? Equally bad? As usual, any and all feedback and comments are welcome. Also, there might be a delay in any replies for about 2 weeks since I'll be on holiday in Nigeria 8-). Hopefully I'll get more inspiration there.

In the meantime, do enjoy. Thanks!

~#mFQ#~
I can quite hear the difference between the last two versions and the original, I find them more enjoyable to listen to. If I'm not mistaken, you basically worked the bass sound, and the score of the "piano" in the second part of version 1.2. The dynamics of versions 1.1 and 1.2 also seem more compressed.

Do you have a particular goal to achieve?
musicFreQ wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:11 pm
So, do you remember my first track upload? Star Bounce??? Of course you don't! Well, needless to say, I've sent it off to the shop for a minimal upgrade (all I can afford right now, you see) so now it sounds less like a "Mr. Oizo" reject and more like the cool, calm, collected intergalactic joyride carnival that it was destined to be! :lol:

Yeah, I said "they". Got a bit carried away and ended up with two versions. One has a more subtle low-end that sounds and feels a bit warmer and allows everything else to shine through a bit more, and the other has a "sharper", more percussive and fuzzier bass to add a bit more "texture" to move to (if that makes sense). Either way, both versions serve their own purposes and sound better than the original, no? And both are still WIPs, by the way.

What do you think? Do they sound better than the original? Worse? One better than the other? Equally good? Equally bad? As usual, any and all feedback and comments are welcome. Also, there might be a delay in any replies for about 2 weeks since I'll be on holiday in Nigeria 8-). Hopefully I'll get more inspiration there.

~#mFQ#~
Both sound nice, but concerning the bass heard from the start of both tracks, I somehow
don't like how the bass sound, sounds in them. :)
D.Ipsum wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:36 pm
I can quite hear the difference between the last two versions and the original, I find them more enjoyable to listen to. If I'm not mistaken, you basically worked the bass sound, and the score of the "piano" in the second part of version 1.2. The dynamics of versions 1.1 and 1.2 also seem more compressed.

Do you have a particular goal to achieve?
Thanks mate! And yeah, spot on with both points (although the "piano" was more of a synth pad but, hey, whatever, and was more of a decibel change/volume increase, if anything). I tried some "light" compression but I still don't know what the hell I'm doing in that department fully yet.

Do I have a particular goal to achieve? Good question...just to make it the best version of itself that it can be, really. Maybe boost the "laid-back party in space" feel I'm trying to give it.
brandystarbrite wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:28 am
musicFreQ wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:11 pm

~#mFQ#~
Both sound nice, but concerning the bass heard from the start of both tracks, I somehow
don't like how the bass sound, sounds in them. :)
Thank you and I fully accept that you don't like the bass at the start, but where in the start do you mean? At the very start, or as the 2nd bass kicks in?
musicFreQ wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:44 pm
Thank you and I fully accept that you don't like the bass at the start, but where in the start do you mean? At the very start, or as the 2nd bass kicks in?
Yep.The bass that introduces the tune from 0 secs and plays all the way
to the end of the track. That one.

Overall, that bass sound used in this track, sounds nice though.
But I think a slightly heavier, deeper type bass, would suit this track more. :)

Probably changing a wave symbol, on the synth that makes the bass sound
might probably make the bass, sound a bit better for this particular track. :)

But you can ignore my advice, if you want. Ha! Ha! :D
brandystarbrite wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:05 pm
musicFreQ wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:44 pm
Yep.The bass that introduces the tune from 0 secs and plays all the way
to the end of the track. That one.

Overall, that bass sound used in this track, sounds nice though.
But I think a slightly heavier, deeper type bass, would suit this track more. :)

Probably changing a wave symbol, on the synth that makes the bass sound
might probably make the bass, sound a bit better for this particular track. :)

But you can ignore my advice, if you want. Ha! Ha! :D
Oh, right. I see what you mean and I can see why it might not be liked. Truth be told, I haven't finished looking for the "right" bass sound for that part yet so I just put something that at least sounds better than what was there before. I like it at least enough for it to be there (for now). I'll look into fixing it all later because at the moment, I'm a bit tired of working with this track at the moment, haha! :D

Thanks for the feedback.