Chiptune song sounds a bit "empty"

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Any ideas on how I could fix this? The song in general just sounds "empty", as in, there doesn't seem to be much to it, and I'm not sure how to fix this.

https://soundcloud.com/jole-challinor/chiptune-test-4
I do not find it empty, I find it pretty happy.

Can you explain what you mean by empty?
I mean it doesn't really sound as if there's much to it, if that makes any sense?
I totally know what you mean by "sounding empty". My ears tell me you're correct in saying that your mix is a bit empty. Very good though. I don't know how to make it sound fuller aside from adding some bass in there.
Yeah I did end up doing that, except with less basey (as in low) sounds, it still sounds good though.

I also made the drop better by filling in those blank parts of the melody with 4 square long notes (I don't know the terminology aha)
One way to fill the spectrum of frequencies: to use layers, that is to say additional synths that you will superpose on the existing parts.

For example, if your synth 1 plays such a melody, you can use a synth 2 that sounds differently and assign it the same melody. But to prevent the layers from stifling each other (= masking effect), you can use EQ and/or filters (LP, HP, BP, etc.), and circumscribe each layer within a certain frequency range (for example, synth 1 does not rise above 1kHz, and synth 2 does not fall below 1kHz).

You can use layers (layers of synths, layers of samples, etc.) on any part of your tracks (drums, bass, pad, etc.).

Well, it could fill the void, but we still need to talk about the same void :lol:
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:07 pm
One way to fill the spectrum of frequencies: to use layers, that is to say additional synths that you will superpose on the existing parts.

For example, if your synth 1 plays such a melody, you can use a synth 2 that sounds differently and assign it the same melody. But to prevent the layers from stifling each other (= masking effect), you can use EQ and/or filters (LP, HP, BP, etc.), and circumscribe each layer within a certain frequency range (for example, synth 1 does not rise above 1kHz, and synth 2 does not fall below 1kHz).

You can use layers (layers of synths, layers of samples, etc.) on any part of your tracks (drums, bass, pad, etc.).

Well, it could fill the void, but we still need to talk about the same void :lol:
I've never been good with frequencies and EQs... It would make my music so much better.
Either way, I did add more things with similar melodies and what not, and it seems to have made it slightly better, but the EQing problem is really noticable.
Any chance you could explain to me how I would fix it?
https://soundcloud.com/jole-challinor/c ... est-4-edit
Here:
Yeah, this new version is much better.

I'm not in the best position to talk about EQ, but I can advise you to read A Guide To Mixing Music on Audiofanzine:

https://en.audiofanzine.com/recording-m ... yself.html

This link will take you to Part 1 of the guide.

On the right of the title of the article, there is a box with "View other articles in this series ...". This allows you to directly access the articles devoted to the EQ. However, I advise you to start with Part 1.

After reading each article, you also have the opportunity to read the comments left by members of Audiofanzine. There are often additional information and interesting discussions on the topic of the article.
D.Ipsum wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:02 am
Yeah, this new version is much better.

I'm not in the best position to talk about EQ, but I can advise you to read A Guide To Mixing Music on Audiofanzine:

https://en.audiofanzine.com/recording-m ... yself.html

This link will take you to Part 1 of the guide.

On the right of the title of the article, there is a box with "View other articles in this series ...". This allows you to directly access the articles devoted to the EQ. However, I advise you to start with Part 1.

After reading each article, you also have the opportunity to read the comments left by members of Audiofanzine. There are often additional information and interesting discussions on the topic of the article.
I still can't find out how to do what you suggested, and I did look at some of the guide (starting from the beginning and including the EQ page.)
noba wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:09 pm
I still can't find out how to do what you suggested, and I did look at some of the guide (starting from the beginning and including the EQ page.)
I advise you to use a spectrometer.

Personally, I use EasySSP that you can download here: https://au.tomatl.org/
It's a VSTe, VST effect, that you place in the same folder as your VST.
All VST effects are opened via the FX tab of the instruments or via the Effect Chain in the mixer.

EasySSP contains a goniometer and a spectrometer. The spectrometer allows you to visualize the frequency spectrum of your sound. This is very useful when working with EQ and filter (because these act on the sound spectrum).

I advise you to visualize the spectrum of each of your instruments and the spectrum of your entire track. To get an overview, you can place the spectrogram in the master chanel of the mixer.

Similarly, when you use EQ, filters or any effect acting on the spectrum, I advise you to place a spectrometer after these effects so that you can visualize what you do.

The principle of layering is simple. Consider the TripleOscillator. This synth works according to this principle. Indeed, we can consider that Oscillator1 = Layer1, Oscillator2 = Layer2 and Oscillator3 = Layer3. You only have one instrument, this instrument consists of 3 layers, and when you use these 3 oscillators, they play the same score. The listener does not feel like listening to 3 instruments, but only one.

You can do the same thing with samples. For example, you can choose 2 snare samples and have them play the same score. If done well, the listener will have the impression of listening to one snare, not two.

Why use layers? To enrich the timbre, to fill the spectrum, to get a more complex sound, or for other reasons.

Regarding EQ and filters, there is a lot to say, I do not know where to start, I do not know if I can.
I think the best thing is that you look for information on the net and watch videos, videos tutorials ("how to use EQ", "how to EQ", "EQ filters", "EQ layering", etc. .), etc. Once you have acquired the basics, I might be able to answer more specific and circumscribed questions.

If someone can help ...