New part of the track - with some exotic percussion instr.

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
PPNDP wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 pm
dan&pig wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 pm
Nicely done, you might consider throwing some LADSPA effects to the mix.. the c* effects would be nice addition, try saturation or noisegate perhaps?
Thanks! I am learning effects. Saturation and noisegate - I will add it to my list!
It's only my third month with LMMS! Since then I only used the LADSPA reverb on the sidestick, claves and kick - it gives it nice distant sound. But it also makes the beat more loud despite that I gave them almost the minimum level of volume (maybe 10%).
It's really hard to master the art of using even 1 effect!

Try experimenting with Cutoff and Q/Reso envelopes
PPNDP wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 am
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 am
PPNDP wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:57 pm
Maybe I should add some waterfall and birds to make it more relaxing?
Or whispers. Whispers fit everywhere for me :D
The TripleOscillator (all synths actually) allows you to synthesize beautiful bird songs https://soundcloud.com/dipsum/0121-03-1-wip :D
that's interesting. So you have made those bird sounds from waves in TripleOscillator??????
In this track I used audiofile processor to work on sample - I cut the one second and play on it in piano-roll in this fragment from 1.58 m.
Unfortunately, I did not have opportunity to acknowledged myself with TripleOsc yet. Is it good for the experimental wave music? I have tried to find on YT some cool stuff with TripleOsc but all I found is that people use it to make some acid chords (it all sounded a bit cheesy to me...)
Yes, in this project, I used the TripleOscillator for all wildlife with the range of waveforms provided by default (except for a bird for which I used an LMMS sample. In fact, it was a bird that I found in a Squatro projects via the LSP, this bird inspired me the track).

To make experimental, all the tools are good. Although my works are not a reference, most of the tracks I published on Soundcloud are made only with LMMS synths and LMMS effects (if you're interested, in every project, I put a description of used tools).

End of self-promotion :lol:
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:13 am
PPNDP wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 am
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 am
Yes, in this project, I used the TripleOscillator for all wildlife with the range of waveforms provided by default (except for a bird for which I used an LMMS sample. In fact, it was a bird that I found in a Squatro projects via the LSP, this bird inspired me the track).

To make experimental, all the tools are good. Although my works are not a reference, most of the tracks I published on Soundcloud are made only with LMMS synths and LMMS effects (if you're interested, in every project, I put a description of used tools).

End of self-promotion :lol:
Really cool! I wish I can make stuff like you. Unfortunately, there is a lack of tutorials with sounds I really dig. I am learning mostly from YT (easiest) and I have read this book: "Lmms: A Complete Guide to Dance Music Production" - but it covers only basics. Most of the 'interesting' sounds I got from LMMS for now are created randomly. Probably it is the matter of experience :D

And your self-promotion is in educational purposes and artistic value is also high :)

I repeat a comment I wrote elsewhere:

A working method that saved me time.

Before starting to work, each artisan prepares his equipment, tools, everything he needs, even tools he will not use (be ready to respond to the unexpected).

It took me a long time to apply this principle within LMMS.

Concretely, over time, and on several projects in progress, I synthesized many instruments, and I found effective effects chains (in series or in parallel).

One day, I told myself that I was going to put all this together in a template project. What's a template project? It's a .mmpz project with everything you need to build a track, even tools you will not use (to be ready to respond to the unexpected).

I have to say that it is possible to have hundreds instances of LMMS synths in a template (I build my templates with LMMS plugins)! But I do not know if it is possible to put hundreds VST in a template, it would take at least a lot of time to load ...

For example, my template n°2 , which I continue to improve, contains :
- a hundred percussive synths in the BB Editor,
- a dozen bass synths, a dozen pad, ... in the Song Editor,
- a Project Notes ready to use,
- and a mixer containing several channels in which I placed all kinds of effects (reverb channels, distortion channels, EQ channels, "strange effects" channels, etc.).

When I want to create a new track, I open the template n°2, and I save it under a new name (track n°XXXX). So, like the artisan, I have material ready to use, I can start to work immediatly. And if I miss a tool, I act according to the needs of the moment.

I believe that this method is worth developing.
Developing templates takes time, it's a project in itself.
Sometimes, on a project, I synthesize a sound, I find it well, and hop!, I open my template to insert it in.
Same thing with the mixer, when I discover interesting effects chains, hop, I open a template to insert it in.

Having a mixer with channels filled with effects allows happy accidents.
Example, all my percussive synths have their own channel in the mixer (sometimes, some synths share a single channel, because I have too many synths). All these percussive channels are sent to a DRUMS channel. With this DRUMS channel, while the music plays, I make tests, I send it to some channel of effects, and then to another, etc. There are often good surprises.

About the method, as I have a lot of synths in my templates, and I have a lot of effects channels in the mixer, I developed a labeling system. For example:
- my kicks are called K-01, K-02, K-03, ...
- my snares are called S-01, ...,
- my hats H-01, ...
- my metallic percussions M-01, ...
- my basses, Basse-01, Basse-02, ...

Same with the mixer:
- the distortion channels: >DISTO 1, >DISTO 2, ...
- the reverb channels: >REVERB 1, >REVERB 2, ...
(I add the sign ">" to indicate that it is an effect channel)

Same with the automation tracks:
- If I automate the PAN of Basse-01, the automation track will be called Basse-01_PAN
- If I automate the SPD of the LFO associated with VOLUME, the track will be called Basse-01_LFO>VOL>SPD
- If I automate the REL associated with the CUTOFF, the track will be called Basse-01_ENV>CUT>REL
- If I automate the RESO of the FILTER, the track will be called Basse-01_FILTRE>RESO
- Etc.

In the end, it is an working method that I continue to refine, and that I apply systematically.
When I open an old project, everything is clear, everything is named, I no longer waste time trying to understand "what is what", "what does what".

Well ... :lol:
D.Ipsum wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 am

I repeat a comment I wrote elsewhere:

A working method that saved me time.

Before starting to work, each artisan prepares his equipment, tools, everything he needs, even tools he will not use (be ready to respond to the unexpected).

It took me a long time to apply this principle within LMMS.

Concretely, over time, and on several projects in progress, I synthesized many instruments, and I found effective effects chains (in series or in parallel).

One day, I told myself that I was going to put all this together in a template project. What's a template project? It's a .mmpz project with everything you need to build a track, even tools you will not use (to be ready to respond to the unexpected).

I have to say that it is possible to have hundreds instances of LMMS synths in a template (I build my templates with LMMS plugins)! But I do not know if it is possible to put hundreds VST in a template, it would take at least a lot of time to load ...

For example, my template n°2 , which I continue to improve, contains :
- a hundred percussive synths in the BB Editor,
- a dozen bass synths, a dozen pad, ... in the Song Editor,
- a Project Notes ready to use,
- and a mixer containing several channels in which I placed all kinds of effects (reverb channels, distortion channels, EQ channels, "strange effects" channels, etc.).

When I want to create a new track, I open the template n°2, and I save it under a new name (track n°XXXX). So, like the artisan, I have material ready to use, I can start to work immediatly. And if I miss a tool, I act according to the needs of the moment.

I believe that this method is worth developing.
Developing templates takes time, it's a project in itself.
Sometimes, on a project, I synthesize a sound, I find it well, and hop!, I open my template to insert it in.
Same thing with the mixer, when I discover interesting effects chains, hop, I open a template to insert it in.

Having a mixer with channels filled with effects allows happy accidents.
Example, all my percussive synths have their own channel in the mixer (sometimes, some synths share a single channel, because I have too many synths). All these percussive channels are sent to a DRUMS channel. With this DRUMS channel, while the music plays, I make tests, I send it to some channel of effects, and then to another, etc. There are often good surprises.

About the method, as I have a lot of synths in my templates, and I have a lot of effects channels in the mixer, I developed a labeling system. For example:
- my kicks are called K-01, K-02, K-03, ...
- my snares are called S-01, ...,
- my hats H-01, ...
- my metallic percussions M-01, ...
- my basses, Basse-01, Basse-02, ...

Same with the mixer:
- the distortion channels: >DISTO 1, >DISTO 2, ...
- the reverb channels: >REVERB 1, >REVERB 2, ...
(I add the sign ">" to indicate that it is an effect channel)

Same with the automation tracks:
- If I automate the PAN of Basse-01, the automation track will be called Basse-01_PAN
- If I automate the SPD of the LFO associated with VOLUME, the track will be called Basse-01_LFO>VOL>SPD
- If I automate the REL associated with the CUTOFF, the track will be called Basse-01_ENV>CUT>REL
- If I automate the RESO of the FILTER, the track will be called Basse-01_FILTRE>RESO
- Etc.

In the end, it is an working method that I continue to refine, and that I apply systematically.
When I open an old project, everything is clear, everything is named, I no longer waste time trying to understand "what is what", "what does what".

Well ... :lol:
Thank you, Professor D.Ipsum! It's a great idea, I will definitely follow your advice! I need to control my artistic mess :)
PPNDP wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 pm
my artistic mess :)
:lol:
D.Ipsum wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:14 pm
PPNDP wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 pm
my artistic mess :)
:lol:
Lol, my grandma used to say that about my room so I am not implying that my music has anything to do with art :P