Last Track of the Year

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
D.Ipsum wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:55 pm

In this regard, I just replay your tracks with Audacity, and I noticed the presence of DC offset (or something that looks like) on the following tracks: Helicopter, Cascade and Reminiscence.

As the DC offset is the most marked on Reminiscence, I'll talk about that one:
- Import the track in Audacity,
- Observes the waveform between 00m12s and 01m10s,
- Normally, the waveform is drawn around 0 (line of silence, speaker's membrane in the rest position),
- Here, it's not the case, this DC offset is caused by the presence of infra bass between 0 and 20 Hz.
- The effect of DC offset is little or not audible, but in extreme cases, it can damage the speakers ... :cry:

You have several ways to solve this problem:

1) In post production, via an Audio Editor like Audacity:
- via Effects > Normalize (normalization does not always work)
- or via Effects > High Pass Filter (20Hz frequency and 24dB rollof per octave)

2) Or directly in LMMS, you add a Glame Highpass Filter (20Hz):
- on your master channel,
- or on the instrument (s) responsible.

Otherwise, on your other tracks, you can recover headroom by treating infrabass.
Dude, thank you very much. I did what you suggested with Audacity and it totally works. To be honest, I wasn't even aware of this DC offset thing. My knowledge on post-production and 'equing' is still very crude, so this is absolutely valuable. I'll keep in mind the possibility of infrabass showing up when I mess around instruments and effects. Again, thanks! :D
D.Ipsum wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:55 pm
About this harsh scratchy abrasive sounds, I think it fits well. Maybe there is a little too much of this "krrrrr" sound (you have to pronounce the "r" as the French or Belgian Francophones, a sound that scrapes that palate), but that does not bother me.

Question, there is something like a notch filter at 11kHz. It seems to appear with your harsh scratchy abrasive sounds. Why this "notch"?
Yeah looking at the frequency spectrum it does look like a notch filter, but it wasn't intentional. I changed very little about those last samples.
PPNDP wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:50 am
I think everything is allowed in experimental music :)
For me, it is a good idea to add some 'deconstructing' element to the main theme in the end - so I like it. But I like Noise music. Maybe I am not too much a general audience to judge...
Yeah I thought it was appropriate to have that. Well, I don't think I'm a general listener either. :D
insonico wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:03 pm
Dude, thank you very much. I did what you suggested with Audacity and it totally works. To be honest, I wasn't even aware of this DC offset thing. My knowledge on post-production and 'equing' is still very crude, so this is absolutely valuable. I'll keep in mind the possibility of infrabass showing up when I mess around instruments and effects. Again, thanks! :D
Two good options in Audacity:

1) When you import a track and click on the name of the track (on the left), there is a series of visualization options:

- Waveform: this is the default view.

- Waveform (dB): the ordinate is in dB.

- Spectrogram: very practical (personally, I like to look at the spectrum of the tracks that I listen), and among other things, this allows you to see the infrabass at the origin of the DC offset (you can zoom in on a given frequency range by clicking on the ordinate that displays the frequency scale, you can also select a more precise frequency range by keeping the click depressed).

- Spectrogram Setting: very useful for changing the visual presentation

2) In the menu bar: Analyze> Draw spectrum.
This allows you to have a graphical representation on time interval to be defined directly on the track.
Thanks man! I was aware of some of those tools but some I didn't know about. This is very useful. :D