Last Track of the Year

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Here's November:
https://soundcloud.com/insonico/november

Part of the idea on this one was to not have drums at all. So I was focused on creating textures and an atmosphere. It's very layered and it's filled with samples I made. It's astonishing the types of sounds you can get with just a guitar and a delay pedal. In the end, it became an Ambient/Noise piece. (It's abrasive at times, be warned! :P )

In any case, this is the last track I'll post this year. I hope to continue posting at least as often next year. 2017 has been very exciting for me because I started posting music. I had been messing around with music for many years and always yearned to actually created something. I feel like I learned a lot by doing so and by being part of this forum and learning from you guys too. It's very exciting to have this free software open to anyone who has a computer and wants to learn and make music. I hope it continues to grow and improve.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to listen to my stuff and comment on it, I really appreciate it. Special thanks to D.Ipsum, brandystarbrite and PPNDP for the nice comments and for keeping the forum always active.

Have a great Christmas guys! ;)
insonico wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:45 pm
Here's November:

Part of the idea on this one was to not have drums at all. So I was focused on creating textures and an atmosphere. It's very layered and it's filled with samples I made. It's astonishing the types of sounds you can get with just a guitar and a delay pedal. In the end, it became an Ambient/Noise piece. (It's abrasive at times, be warned! :P )
I must admit, this tune really has, that darkish, ambient type sound to it.
And it's got, the Resident Evil 1 scary mansion vibe, to it too. :D

Yeah don't worry. Drums are not always needed, in every track.
Especially in ambient type music. :D

insonico wrote:
Thanks to all of you who took the time to listen to my stuff and comment on it, I really appreciate it. Special thanks to D.Ipsum, brandystarbrite and PPNDP for the nice comments and for keeping the forum always active.

No probs. Glad all of us on the forums, were able to help in some way. 8-)

And a big Merry Christmas, to you too. :D
insonico wrote:
Here's November:

In any case, this is the last track I'll post this year. I hope to continue posting at least as often next year. 2017 has been very exciting for me because I started posting music. I had been messing around with music for many years and always yearned to actually created something. I feel like I learned a lot by doing so and by being part of this forum and learning from you guys too. It's very exciting to have this free software open to anyone who has a computer and wants to learn and make music. I hope it continues to grow and improve.

I think is really beautiful. Is there a sample of the sea? I hear also something like outdoor wind chimes a lot of wind...Do you live somewhere near the sea. Because I definitely hear the atmosphere of the deserted seaside resort in autumn. Would be a good soundtrack to the Murakami's book 'Dance dance dance' ...Just reminded myself of this book when I was listening to your song.
I hear your signature sound too, are you using a guitar on your other tracks too (This high-pitched sentimental sound)?

We are definitely waiting for more atmospheric tracks like this! Especially that so few people make experimental music using LMMS. And I hope that more explorers like You and D.Ipsum will show that this kind of sound is possible to obtain using free software.

I wish to make more music in LMMS next year too!
Excellent, immersive, this melancholy that comes out, I like a lot. There is the "nia-nia" synth that you used in Bottles. I just love it. (you do not need a sample for the sea, the TripleOsc is your friend).

I still listened to your tracks this week (sorry, I have them in mp3 in my pc), woaa, it's a new track in my collection!

PS: Thanks Insonico and PPNDP for your comments (by the way, what does "PPNDP" mean?). It's been a while since I published my last track ... I'm in the process of "finalizing" ( :yuck: ) the mix of old tracks.
brandystarbrite wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:53 am
I must admit, this tune really has, that darkish, ambient type sound to it.
And it's got, the Resident Evil 1 scary mansion vibe, to it too. :D

Yeah don't worry. Drums are not always needed, in every track.
Especially in ambient type music. :D
Yeah I wanted to see what I could do without them, and then I knew it would be more of an ambient-type track.
PPNDP wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:18 am

I think is really beautiful. Is there a sample of the sea? I hear also something like outdoor wind chimes a lot of wind...Do you live somewhere near the sea.
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that the only sample that isn't mine is the one with the sound of the waves. I got that from freesound.org.
PPNDP wrote:
I hear your signature sound too, are you using a guitar on your other tracks too (This high-pitched sentimental sound)?
This is actually the first time I've used it on my tunes. And very little of it sounds like an actual guitar, I think. haha
You can hear some slow finger stuff every now and then (and also the strumming at the very end). But most of the sounds are those glitchy jagged ones, including the one that sounds like wind chimes.
When you add a lot of feedback and make the repeating time very short on a delay you get some wild harmonics.
PPNDP wrote:
We are definitely waiting for more atmospheric tracks like this! Especially that so few people make experimental music using LMMS. And I hope that more explorers like You and D.Ipsum will show that this kind of sound is possible to obtain using free software.
Well I intend to continue making experimental music on LMMS. It's nice to know there are people who appreciate it. :D
Though I only use free stuff, I think D.Ipsum is perhaps the best guy to show LMMS's capabilities. If I'm not mistaken, he only uses native instruments. :o
PPNDP wrote:
I wish to make more music in LMMS next year too!
I hope so too. I like your stuff. :)
D.Ipsum wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:55 am
Excellent, immersive, this melancholy that comes out, I like a lot. There is the "nia-nia" synth that you used in Bottles. I just love it. (you do not need a sample for the sea, the TripleOsc is your friend).
Thanks man!
I didn't know you could make waves on it too. I'm still in awe that you created bird sounds. You're way ahead of me in terms of synthesizing sounds. :P
D.Ipsum wrote:
I still listened to your tracks this week (sorry, I have them in mp3 in my pc), woaa, it's a new track in my collection!
:lol:
I don't mind that at all. It's actually nice to know you went back to them.
D.Ipsum wrote:
It's been a while since I published my last track ... I'm in the process of "finalizing" ( :yuck: ) the mix of old tracks.
Great! I'll be looking forward to it/them! :D
How did you guys feel about those harsh scratchy abrasive sounds on the later part of the track?
I knew I wanted them to be a part of it and I wouldn't change that, but I thought they might turn some people away.
insonico wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:41 pm
I think D.Ipsum is perhaps the best guy to show LMMS's capabilities. If I'm not mistaken, he only uses native instruments. :o
Well, I try to do my best ... Otherwise, yes, on my recent tracks, no sample, no soundfont, no VST, I only use native synths (by the way, in the description of each track is the list of tools used).

insonico wrote:
D.Ipsum wrote:
Thanks man!
I didn't know you could make waves on it too. I'm still in awe that you created bird sounds. You're way ahead of me in terms of synthesizing sounds. :P
To make waves on TripleOsc : from filtered white noise and some automations depending on what you are looking for.

insonico wrote:
D.Ipsum wrote:
:lol:
I don't mind that at all. It's actually nice to know you went back to them.
In this regard, I just replay your tracks with Audacity, and I noticed the presence of DC offset (or something that looks like) on the following tracks: Helicopter, Cascade and Reminiscence.

As the DC offset is the most marked on Reminiscence, I'll talk about that one:
- Import the track in Audacity,
- Observes the waveform between 00m12s and 01m10s,
- Normally, the waveform is drawn around 0 (line of silence, speaker's membrane in the rest position),
- Here, it's not the case, this DC offset is caused by the presence of infra bass between 0 and 20 Hz.
- The effect of DC offset is little or not audible, but in extreme cases, it can damage the speakers ... :cry:

You have several ways to solve this problem:

1) In post production, via an Audio Editor like Audacity:
- via Effects > Normalize (normalization does not always work)
- or via Effects > High Pass Filter (20Hz frequency and 24dB rollof per octave)

2) Or directly in LMMS, you add a Glame Highpass Filter (20Hz):
- on your master channel,
- or on the instrument (s) responsible.

Otherwise, on your other tracks, you can recover headroom by treating infrabass.

insonico wrote: How did you guys feel about those harsh scratchy abrasive sounds on the later part of the track?
I knew I wanted them to be a part of it and I wouldn't change that, but I thought they might turn some people away.
About this harsh scratchy abrasive sounds, I think it fits well. Maybe there is a little too much of this "krrrrr" sound (you have to pronounce the "r" as the French or Belgian Francophones, a sound that scrapes that palate), but that does not bother me.

Question, there is something like a notch filter at 11kHz. It seems to appear with your harsh scratchy abrasive sounds. Why this "notch"?
insonico wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:53 pm
How did you guys feel about those harsh scratchy abrasive sounds on the later part of the track?
I think everything is allowed in experimental music :)
For me, it is a good idea to add some 'deconstructing' element to the main theme in the end - so I like it. But I like Noise music. Maybe I am not too much a general audience to judge...