First new track in a while for me...

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Had a lot of trouble finishing this one. It was really stressful for some reason

https://soundcloud.com/spugintrntl/atmosfear

Does anybody else have that problem where when you're working really hard (read: obsessively) on any given track, everything just starts to sound... I don't know... wrong? Like, even the stuff you really liked before. That was happening up the wazoo with this one. I drove myself kinda nuts trying to get the ending down (I had that last riff stuck in my head for days straight), and I let it sit for about a week before I touched it again, which helped, but... I don't know. I'm glad I finished it but I'm still getting frustrated.
Something about this track, gives me that futuristic sounding vibe.
Lovely work with the synths and instruments.

And don't worry about the songs ending, it sounds nice. :)
Foggy wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:20 am
Does anybody else have that problem where when you're working really hard (read: obsessively) on any given track, everything just starts to sound... I don't know... wrong? Like, even the stuff you really liked before............
I think nearly everyone, has gone through that stage at some point.

In my case, I remember one particular project, was giving me a ton of problems.
Nothing strangely seemed to sound right.
So I stayed away from it for a month. And that helped me figure out, what was wrong with it.

What I noticed, is that sometimes, working too hard on something, or trying hard, to do
something too perfectly, can on a few occasions, do all sorts of strange things to our minds.
So taking a small break, or a long time off from something, can normally help make our minds
see things more clearly. :)
Thanks Brandy... glad you like the track.
I know sometimes you have to give these things time. Don't think I've ever done a month though. I usually manage like a week or two at most. What I've been doing lately is putting a track on soundcloud then a few days later playing it from soundcloud on my phone, and seeing what I think of it (so that way I'm not biased by the sound quality of my headphones). The thing that strikes me about this one, though, is the explosion sound. I think I ended up making it way too loud and percussive, not rumbly enough. I've always had trouble with explosions...
Nice track, good tempo, it unfolds slowly, quite soft.

Regarding explosions, have you tried to go lower in the spectrum?
Listen, usually I don't listen to this type of music, but this track was pretty sweet. I don't know if it was the sounds or melodies or a combination of both, but I found myself liking each one. Each one was somber and had good emotion to it !

As for your "obsessing", I feel as though thats natural. Just have fun with it and go with your instinct. You learn from each track and get better. I find myself in similar situations but tell myself to just have fun and finish the track and see how it comes out :mrgreen:
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:14 am
I Don't remember if I tried that or not... but listening to it again I can definitely see how that would help. I'm probably not used to thinking in terms of audio spectrum yet. Thanks for the tip!

Kaba: Thanks for the kind words. I am glad you liked it, and comments like this remind me that I need to get out of my head once in a while. A fresh perspective is always welcome! Something that's been helping me is focusing more on making music for myself rather than being pressured by everyone else's expectations. I think that's the key to making good art, whether it's music or anything else- make it so you're happy with what you're making (or, like you said, have fun with it). And that being said, I do like the track... but for some reason it was emotionally exhausting.
Foggy wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:49 pm
What I've been doing lately is putting a track on soundcloud then a few days later playing it from soundcloud on my phone, and seeing what I think of it (so that way I'm not biased by the sound quality of my headphones).
That's a good strategy dude. I do that that sometimes too.
But sometimes, I would wait until night time, and listen to my tunes on speakers.
Or, export whatever I have made, as a wav or ogg file, and then listen to it
over and over again, on Windows Media Player or Vlc player etc.
To see what is wrong/or what's missing from them. :)

Foggy wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:49 pm
The thing that strikes me about this one, though, is the explosion sound. I think I ended up making it way too loud and percussive, not rumbly enough. I've always had trouble with explosions...
Rumbly? Hmmmm......
Try playing with the synths LFO/envelope wave thingy and see what happens from there.
Honestly imo, this track is pretty good man. I love the blend of futuristic sounds and ambience as well as your incorporation of eerie sounding melodies like the one at 1:29

Also, don't worry, most of us can relate to you about obsessing over a certain part of a project! I literally do this all the time but what helps me out is to take a breather, let a couple days pass by, and come back to the project with some new ideas, and inspiration! It, al least for me, keeps things fresh, fun, and a little more stress free. Hopefully this helps you in anyway mate :)
Foggy wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:06 pm
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:14 am
I Don't remember if I tried that or not... but listening to it again I can definitely see how that would help. I'm probably not used to thinking in terms of audio spectrum yet. Thanks for the tip!
It seems to me that in cinema, to increase the impact of an explosion, sub bass is put forward.Obviously, this should not conflict with the instruments playing in this frequency range at that time (e. g. kick or bass).