Attempt to Combine DnB and Synthwave

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
I actually have two songs, both still work in progress. I'm trying to combine drum and bass and synthwave. I think the second song is closer to what I'm going for, but I'd still like to hear what you all think. Feedback is always welcome. Thanks in advance :) .

https://soundcloud.com/johnjgils/for-my-next-trick

https://soundcloud.com/johnjgils/going-up-wip
For my next trick - This is a creative mix of genres.
And the sax sound? gives it a slight hint of jazzyness to it.
That part from 1:56 to 2:18 secs was nice.
And ending it with the saxophone, was a good idea.

Going Up (WIP) - Yeah I agree. I think this more sounds, like what you were aiming for.
From what I've heard so far, I like how it's sounding.
brandystarbrite wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:39 am
For my next trick - This is a creative mix of genres.
And the sax sound? gives it a slight hint of jazzyness to it.
That part from 1:56 to 2:18 secs was nice.
And ending it with the saxophone, was a good idea.

Going Up (WIP) - Yeah I agree. I think this more sounds, like what you were aiming for.
From what I've heard so far, I like how it's sounding.
Thanks, Brandy. I actually just uploaded the latest version of Going Up. I tried to add in an intro with a synthwave style beat and also changed the drum and bass section to be a little more liquid than before. I don't know if this is where I want to go with it though. I tried to make the transition smooth, but I feel like I have two different songs mashed together in the same track. :/
I really love the break and the drums at the 1:20 mark on Going Up. But the highlight of the track is the bass you have from 2:00 to 2;40.

If I'm honest, not the biggest fan of the synth pad you have on. It's too loud in the mix for once and takes away from the best part of your song - the DnB
joeymakesmusic wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:22 pm
I really love the break and the drums at the 1:20 mark on Going Up. But the highlight of the track is the bass you have from 2:00 to 2;40.

If I'm honest, not the biggest fan of the synth pad you have on. It's too loud in the mix for once and takes away from the best part of your song - the DnB
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I also just uploaded my most recent version. I tried reducing the volume on the synth to allow the rest of the sounds in the song to come through, hopefully it will not be overpowering anymore and the bass will be easier to hear. I also swapped out the chords for something slightly more complex, since the previous ones felt too generic.

I am finding that producing drum and bass is a lot of fun, the energy in the beat itself makes for some smooth yet powerful combinations.
AgentJMartian wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:30 pm
I actually just uploaded the latest version of Going Up.
Is it the same link, in your first post above? :)
Oh man.... I'm thinking your attempt at combining DnB and Synthwave is a worthwhile pursuit. Both of these are really good. I really like how the beat works in For My Next Trick, that's definitely the best part. Going Up is just awesomeness all around. I was a little disappointed when the synthwave beat started up in the beginning (not that it didn't sound good, but I was expecting DnB- that's literally the only reason for said disappointment) but once it picked up the payoff was well worth it. I don't know which version I'm hearing- it looks like you've done a couple reuploads since this post began? Either way, it sounds good. The ending is a bit abrupt, but I don't know if you're considering it finished or not, so I'm not going to nitpick. Awesome stuff, keep it up!
brandystarbrite wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:19 am
AgentJMartian wrote:
Yeah, its the same link. The versions that are on soundcloud right now are the latest versions.
Foggy wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:49 pm
Oh man.... I'm thinking your attempt at combining DnB and Synthwave is a worthwhile pursuit. Both of these are really good. I really like how the beat works in For My Next Trick, that's definitely the best part. Going Up is just awesomeness all around. I was a little disappointed when the synthwave beat started up in the beginning (not that it didn't sound good, but I was expecting DnB- that's literally the only reason for said disappointment) but once it picked up the payoff was well worth it. I don't know which version I'm hearing- it looks like you've done a couple reuploads since this post began? Either way, it sounds good. The ending is a bit abrupt, but I don't know if you're considering it finished or not, so I'm not going to nitpick. Awesome stuff, keep it up!
Thank you, these two songs seemed to turn out a lot better than I expected. All the feedback has been great. I'm not sure what else to do with Going Up, so I might call it a day on production of that song (at least until I decide it doesn't sound good enough and I go back to it), especially since I already started on another synthwave/dnb hybrid song. :)
AgentJMartian wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:46 pm
brandystarbrite wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:19 am
AgentJMartian wrote:
Yeah, its the same link. The versions that are on soundcloud right now are the latest versions.
Aye. I like how Going Up sounds.
This quest you're on, to combine DnB and synthwave, is quite an amazing one.
And it seems to be paying off. Both genres, seem to mesh together really well, in this tune.