Trying to use automation to its full potential.

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Just finished this one! I've been working on it for a few weeks... It was pretty fun and I'm actually really happy with how it came out. That echo effect is a ton of fun to play with. I ended up using automation tracks pretty heavily for volume control of different tracks, and I think I've found a pretty good system- this kind of automated leveling seems to work a lot better if you use it just for the instrument volume knobs and not the track sliders in the mixer. I feel like you get a lot more resolution that way with fades, and even a crisper sound quality when you're boosting levels from the instruments rather than on the mixing board. Not sure why that would be, but after experimenting with it extensively on this song, that seems to be the best way of doing it (for me at least). Again tried using minimal eq only where absolutely necessary, and then managed to successfully use a compressor on that "termollo" instrument! That's a first.

Sorry for the word vomit. I'm a little excited, in case you couldn't tell.

https://soundcloud.com/spugintrntl/the- ... eft-behind
Yeah it looks like you've found a good way of using the automation and I think it makes your track sound a lot more professional than a lot of tracks people make with LMMS. Good job on this track and keep up the good work! :D
Thanks, Cauliflower! I'd heard a while ago about using automated volume levels to put emphasis on certain instruments at different points during the song... at the time it sounded like a huge hassle, but it's actually pretty easy. You can just set the volume as you're listening till it sounds right, then create a new automation element and just drag it over. Super easy and, apparently, really effective.
It's good to see, that you're enjoying the automation ability.

I love the cool start up of this tune. Literally.
And the entire tune itself, gives off a cool vibe, that's too difficult to put in words. 8-)

Okay. One thing that I did notice:
The drums or is it snares, sound a bit weak in this track. Was that intentional? :)
brandystarbrite wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:26 am
The drums or is it snares, sound a bit weak in this track. Was that intentional? :)
I did struggle a little with the drums in this one, I will be honest. But ultimately I thought the light trap beat (I think that's what it's called?) kinda worked... I didn't want them to be too overpowering, y'know? Mostly I had trouble with variety, and they did seem kinda weak at the end so I tried to augment it with another beat that sorta followed the organ part. I always have trouble with snares...
Foggy wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 am
brandystarbrite wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:26 am
I did struggle a little with the drums in this one, I will be honest. But ultimately I thought the light trap beat (I think that's what it's called?) kinda worked... I didn't want them to be too overpowering, y'know? Mostly I had trouble with variety, and they did seem kinda weak at the end so I tried to augment it with another beat that sorta followed the organ part. I always have trouble with snares...
Yeah, I agree with you on that one.
The light trap beat, really did work well for this track. :)
Enjoyed!