A Swift Punch to the Gut

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
This started as yet another attempt at future bass. I'm not sure exactly what genre it turned into, but it sounds decent so I'm content with it. Let me know what you people of the interwebs think.

https://soundcloud.com/johnjgils/a_swif ... to_the_gut
Hey!

I like the mood of this track. I'm just a bit disappointed by the end ( although it is not a fade out...)
Mo Stitchi wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:49 pm
Hey!

I like the mood of this track. I'm just a bit disappointed by the end ( although it is not a fade out...)
Yeah I'm still learning how to properly end my tracks. Any suggestions on that? :?
I think that the high-energy section that starts at around 3:20, could have been done once before somewhere in the middle of the track. The way it is, it felt like an abrupt change of pace for an otherwise 'chiller' track.
Also, the the staccato melody could be a bit louder in the mix.
In any case, I like that loud synth playing the chords. Sounds really good.
And the chords are pretty too.
insonico wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:42 am
I think that the high-energy section that starts at around 3:20, could have been done once before somewhere in the middle of the track. The way it is, it felt like an abrupt change of pace for an otherwise 'chiller' track.
Also, the the staccato melody could be a bit louder in the mix.
In any case, I like that loud synth playing the chords. Sounds really good.
And the chords are pretty too.
I was trying to go for a switch up at the end to keep the song interesting, but I see what you mean. I'll put more effort into balancing out the energy next time. I'm glad you like the main chords and synth, those were the most challenging parts of the song. I had trouble writing chords that sounded big and melodic, and I really had to fine tune zynaddsubfx to get that pleasant yet powerful sound.
AgentJMartian wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:14 am
Yeah I'm still learning how to properly end my tracks. Any suggestions on that? :?
I have the chance to make dub tunes, so echo and reverb are my best friends when it comes to end the tune.
For the rest, the end would logically depend on the story you tell or the mood of your tune.

Many options and sub-options:
- you introduce the end / the end comes suddenly
- the end comes in a climax / the end comes in a quiet moment
- all instruments mute together
- all instruments mute together, but one instrument adds a note or a hit
- all instruments mute together, but one instrument adds a bar or 2
- all instruments mute together, but one instrument adds a bar or 2, and another instrument comes back to add a note or a hit
- instruments are muting one by one, or by groups (keyboards, strings, drums, bass, ...)
- some instruments are muting one by one, other instruments are muting by groups
- instruments are muting one by one, or by groups, and all instruments are coming back for a note, a hit, or a bar, or a couple of bars
- instruments are muting one by one, or by groups, and one instrument or group of instruments is coming back for a note, a hit, or a bar, or a couple of bars
- in addition, you add or remove effect(s) on a instrument or a group of instruments
- and so on...
Mo Stitchi wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:52 am
AgentJMartian wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:14 am
I have the chance to make dub tunes, so echo and reverb are my best friends when it comes to end the tune.
For the rest, the end would logically depend on the story you tell or the mood of your tune.

Many options and sub-options:
- you introduce the end / the end comes suddenly
- the end comes in a climax / the end comes in a quiet moment
- all instruments mute together
- all instruments mute together, but one instrument adds a note or a hit
- all instruments mute together, but one instrument adds a bar or 2
- all instruments mute together, but one instrument adds a bar or 2, and another instrument comes back to add a note or a hit
- instruments are muting one by one, or by groups (keyboards, strings, drums, bass, ...)
- some instruments are muting one by one, other instruments are muting by groups
- instruments are muting one by one, or by groups, and all instruments are coming back for a note, a hit, or a bar, or a couple of bars
- instruments are muting one by one, or by groups, and one instrument or group of instruments is coming back for a note, a hit, or a bar, or a couple of bars
- in addition, you add or remove effect(s) on a instrument or a group of instruments
- and so on...
Time to start a music notebook haha. Literally wrote that all down.
The guys above, gave some good advice already, so I have no idea what to say.
But after listening to it, I would say that this tune, sounds really nice so far. :)