New Project (May Become BoL6 Submission in '19)

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hey, everyone! Looking for feedback on mixing, composition, literally anything that needs fixing with this track before mastering. Thanks in advance!

https://soundcloud.com/peeftube-music/a ... 3t1-single
Nice theme!

If I listened well, there are three movements, three parts that go crescendo with layers that add up as you go to give more volume.

I would say that the second movement is a bit weak. If there was only the first and the last, the track would work too. I find that the second movement is too similar to the first. I do not know how to express that. The last movement (the part you have indicated preferred) brings a contrast (the entry of drums and guitar). By the way, I was surpised (in the bad sense of the word) when the drums appeared,, that is to say that nothing in the second part prepared me for the arrival of the drums.

Concerning the mix, I make the same criticism as on my own tracks:
- the mix is ​​static.
- many instruments are centered in the stereo. For example, the electric guitar could be paned left or right. And you could double that guitar and put that second guitar on the other side, left or right. I think it could increase the feeling of space.
Lovely emotional tune.
So you're preparing for BoL6 super early eh? Cool! :)

The part where the drums and the guitar come in, was totally unexpected.
Some people might like those instruments in the track, others might not.
It all depends on musical taste. So don't try to please everyone. It's your choice, if it stays or not.
The way you suddenly brought in those two instruments, reminds me of how
80's musicians would do it. Normally the epic 80's tunes, would do that though. 8-)

I think the guitar, might need need some widening, or something to full it up a bit.
brandystarbrite wrote: Lovely emotional tune.
So you're preparing for BoL6 super early eh? Cool! :)
I think the guitar, might need need some widening, or something to full it up a bit.
Hmm. Might look at adding a little bit of Stereo Enhancer then.

D.Ipsum wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:53 am
I would say that the second movement is a bit weak. If there was only the first and the last, the track would work too. I find that the second movement is too similar to the first. I do not know how to express that. The last movement (the part you have indicated preferred) brings a contrast (the entry of drums and guitar). By the way, I was surpised (in the bad sense of the word) when the drums appeared,, that is to say that nothing in the second part prepared me for the arrival of the drums.

Concerning the mix, I make the same criticism as on my own tracks:
- the mix is ​​static.
- many instruments are centered in the stereo. For example, the electric guitar could be paned left or right. And you could double that guitar and put that second guitar on the other side, left or right. I think it could increase the feeling of space.
Well, I could spice the second movement up a bit by taking the LB302 double lead (done to create layering) and changing it so there's a counter-melody in the background. I could have a clean guitar (either an acoustic or just a clean electric) come in a pattern or two early, if you think that would work to prepare for the third. If I decide I don't like a change after I make it, just realize it may stay unchanged (likely permanently), following brandy's advice, since not everyone's going to like the piece as it stands anyways.

On the topic of the mix:
- Static mix? I'll have to ask around on the LMMS Discord about that. (In case you haven't noticed on previous tracks I'm still kinda new at the whole mixing thing, lol)
- Actually, almost none of the instruments are centered, they're about ~5-25% off-center in either left or right. I can definitely make those values higher but I'm not going to make them too high.

All in all, thank you both for the feedback! I'll take these things into mind when I go back to working on the track.
peefTube Music wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:57 am
Well, I could spice the second movement up a bit by taking the LB302 double lead (done to create layering) and changing it so there's a counter-melody in the background. I could have a clean guitar (either an acoustic or just a clean electric) come in a pattern or two early, if you think that would work to prepare for the third. If I decide I don't like a change after I make it, just realize it may stay unchanged (likely permanently), following brandy's advice, since not everyone's going to like the piece as it stands anyways.

On the topic of the mix:
- Static mix? I'll have to ask around on the LMMS Discord about that. (In case you haven't noticed on previous tracks I'm still kinda new at the whole mixing thing, lol)
- Actually, almost none of the instruments are centered, they're about ~5-25% off-center in either left or right. I can definitely make those values higher but I'm not going to make them too high.

All in all, thank you both for the feedback! I'll take these things into mind when I go back to working on the track.
My criticism is only based on my understanding of the track after listening to it. I understood the track as a slow crescendo from the most "calm" to the most "agitated", from the most "empty" to the most "filled", etc. From this point of view, the second movement seems to me a little weak, it does not have this rise in tension that corresponds to this understanding, so to my expectations. But, yes, this criticism comes from my way of listening and understanding the track. If it gives you ideas, it's cool, if not, well, it's cool too.

In any case, I repeat: nice theme!

By static mix I mean that the values ​​of automatable parameters are rather constant. As if they were defined once and for all, they do not really change. For example you have the volume of such an instrument that remains constant throughout the track. For example, the values ​​of your reverb remain constant. For example, the PANs remain constant. For example, the cutoff of such filter does not move. These are a set of parameters that via automation can give more life, more shape, more strength to a track (try to hit your hands twice in a similar way, you can not, something varies). That's what I mean by static mix,

Regarding the PAN, yes, I have the impression that the instruments are centred and grouped in the background, at the same place. When the guitar arrived, this impression was reinforced. And I thought of the mix techniques used on the guitar in rock, e.g., that is to say eccentric guitars when there are many things in the center.

IdK
peefTube Music wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:03 pm
https://clyp.it/j1ypxjzy
I find that the rise of the kick at 03m54s works well.

The score has changed a bit between 01m07s and 02m15s. I do not know which version I prefer.

I feel like the reverb has changed too. I feel that it covers a little more instruments. Idk.