0226_01-1 -

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
With pleasure :

https://soundcloud.com/dipsum/dipsum-0226_01-1

Well, it's a WIP ... again ... the result of a work session.

I spent a lot of time on instrument design (listen to the snare, or the acid bubble bass) with Kicker, Monstro, Organic, TripleOscillator, Vibed and ZynAddSubFX.

Can you advise me on what you want, but also on :

- The percussion pattern. It is (also) a unique pattern. I would like to enrich it (the snare line is boring). Do you have any ideas for variations?

- The structure of the piece. I would like to lengthen the track. Do you have any ideas on the structure?

In general, what attracts your attention to this track (good or bad)?

I think Mo does not like the end :lol:
Solid track man!

I'd say the rhythm section stands out to me, I like what you did there. What exactly did you use for the snare?
I like how you integrated those hissing/whooshing metallic sounds (not sure if I described them well haha). They fit nicely with the vibe of the track.
My suggestion for variation is maybe having a few bars without the percussion. Kinda like what you did with the bass. And in that section maybe bringing those pads more to the foreground and adding another element there, not sure, maybe a melody.

Overall, great sound design.
Ps: I don't mind the ending. :D
Wow! I would say, this is pretty good.

It has a hip hoppish style and beat and melody, which stands out in a good way.

As for the ending, it doesn't sound bad at all.

In all honesty, this is one of your best tracks, you've made so far.

Tip: Some good advice to remember, is to always leave at least 4 or 5, or a few seconds
of silence, at the start of the track, before the track actually starts.
insonico wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:34 am
What exactly did you use for the snare?
I used :
- several layers of Kicker and TripleOsc for the design of snares (Kicker for pitch and TripleOsc for impact, noise, metal and resonant sounds). All layers of a snare are then treated as a group in the mixer. There are several effects including the LADSPA Calf Gate that allows you to play with the duration of the sound (via the automatable "Max Gain Reduction" parameter) in a different way than the DAHDSR volume envelope.
- Zyn and Kicker for kicks.
- TripleOsc, Monstro and Organic for metal percussion (actually these metallic sounds are fails because I wanted to make cymbals, hats, rides, crash ... My last tests for hats are a little better). Well, every synth of LMMS allows design of metallic sounds. My favorite is the TripleOsc and then the Monstro. A clue: to achieve this I use almost all the functions of a synth such as TripleOsc, and I add reverb.

The use of layers is the only way I have found to achieve a snare, tom or kick sound that sounds rich, complex.

The Zyn is better for working with layers (a Zyn containing multiple layers is more convenient than multiple layers of TripleOsc), but as it is not automatable, I use it in general only for kicks.

Thanks, and thanks for the suggestions, I take them!
Hey D!

Sometimes, the fade-out is the right way to end a track, but yours is rich enough to find stuff for another ending...

About the drums pattern: the sounds are really cool. If you want to add some variation, why not use a pattern twice as long as the current one? Or add a different pattern every 4 or 8 patterns (or any other number of patterns)?
Mo Stitchi wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:22 am
Hey D!

Sometimes, the fade-out is the right way to end a track, but yours is rich enough to find stuff for another ending...

About the drums pattern: the sounds are really cool. If you want to add some variation, why not use a pattern twice as long as the current one? Or add a different pattern every 4 or 8 patterns (or any other number of patterns)?
Thanks, now, I have to dare! :lol:
Sometimes I think it's reassuring to have WIP tracks, unfinished tracks, so potentially good tracks, while if I finish them, I take the risk that they are perfectly bad ... :lol: