What Lies Beneath (day2demo)

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Updated it a bit. Percussion is temporary as per usual with my early demos.

https://clyp.it/mtp1zcws
Jacoby Davis wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:26 am
I still like the rise of the bass. The second part, robotic, sounds very good.

How do you get these robotic sounds?
What parameters give this grain?
D.Ipsum wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:28 am
Jacoby Davis wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:26 am
I still like the rise of the bass. The second part, robotic, sounds very good.

How do you get these robotic sounds?
What parameters give this grain?
So the distorted bass is powered by two separate instances of Serum. One I might be able to recreate in ZynAddSubFX, but the other definitely won't be able to be recreated, as it uses a constantly morphing wavetable for one of the oscillators.
Jacoby Davis wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:20 am
[...] it uses a constantly morphing wavetable for one of the oscillators.
does this mean that the waveform of this oscillator changes continuously?
D.Ipsum wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:15 pm
Jacoby Davis wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:20 am
[...] it uses a constantly morphing wavetable for one of the oscillators.
does this mean that the waveform of this oscillator changes continuously?
Yeah, basically it has a full table loaded and it's divided into a bunch of smaller chunks, and an LFO cycles the processor through all the chunks and changes the sound as it does so.
Jacoby Davis wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:35 pm
Yeah, basically it has a full table loaded and it's divided into a bunch of smaller chunks, and an LFO cycles the processor through all the chunks and changes the sound as it does so.
Perhaps it is achievable via the BBEditor, with the use of multiple instances of TripleOsc or AudioFileProc.
Each step of the BBEditor would represent the length of a chunk.
Idk.

And how does one instance of Serum affect the other? Are they simply mixed together?
D.Ipsum wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 pm
Jacoby Davis wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:35 pm
Perhaps it is achievable via the BBEditor, with the use of multiple instances of TripleOsc or AudioFileProc.
Each step of the BBEditor would represent the length of a chunk.
Idk.

And how does one instance of Serum affect the other? Are they simply mixed together?
So basically one instance of Serum is basically the same as saying one instrument track with Serum. I've basically got two separate basses I've made playing on top of eachother to enhance the sound and add some extra texture to the two of them.

The difficulty of using B+B editor for that kind of thing--the wavetable cycles through it at various speeds (some controlled by LFO or Envelope) that aren't necessarily hooked up to global automation or note-length-locks. So in all truth, you could be looking at it changing the wave for the oscillator so quickly that even trying to automate it in AFP or TripleOsc would be nearly impossible. If there was a synth that it could possibly be achieved with, it would have to be Zyn.
Jacoby Davis wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:13 am
So basically one instance of Serum is basically the same as saying one instrument track with Serum. I've basically got two separate basses I've made playing on top of eachother to enhance the sound and add some extra texture to the two of them.

The difficulty of using B+B editor for that kind of thing--the wavetable cycles through it at various speeds (some controlled by LFO or Envelope) that aren't necessarily hooked up to global automation or note-length-locks. So in all truth, you could be looking at it changing the wave for the oscillator so quickly that even trying to automate it in AFP or TripleOsc would be nearly impossible. If there was a synth that it could possibly be achieved with, it would have to be Zyn.
So, according to you, there is little hope. Too bad.
Thanks.
D.Ipsum wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:36 pm
Jacoby Davis wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:13 am

So, according to you, there is little hope. Too bad.
Thanks.
I wouldn't say there's little hope, it's one there's little documentation that people have done in experimenting with Zyn's features that would correlate to the Zyn equivalent of a wavetable. I'm in the process of coming up with possible ideas to imitate it.
I love it. The intro lulled me into a false sense of classical music. Then the very modern beat took that feeling off on an unexpected tangent. Then it chilled out a little. . . before ultimately melting my brain.