Is the mastered version better?

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
hi. ah, yep, im not active in the internet anymore because school. while i dont have much time to do in the house, i tried remastering this, fixing some panning and adding more compression. I also added a drum roll before the dal segno part in the final drop (4:55) (Thanks Mo Stitchi for the suggestion :) ).

The new version, I think, lacks the 250-500 hz dominance in the supersaw that is common is some melodic dubstep songs..

old (3rd week of May) : https://clyp.it/i0envadl
new (July 7th) : https://clyp.it/eq2woqso

------------
D.Ipsum: Do you have many similar problems with your projects made with older versions?
- yeah, as long as I shift versions. for example, when I upgraded from 0.4.x to 1.1.3, I didnt successfully converted my first song because some plug-ins sounded so different in the newer version.
For some reason, loading the new version is very slow. I will listen later.

vortexsupernova wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:48 am
D.Ipsum: Do you have many similar problems with your projects made with older versions?
- yeah, as long as I shift versions. for example, when I upgraded from 0.4.x to 1.1.3, I didnt successfully converted my first song because some plug-ins sounded so different in the newer version.
Thanks. Yeah, the transition from LMMS 0.4.x to version 1 was hard, especially for projects containing Organic. I liked the old Organic. Now, with RC6, I am scared, I have not yet installed it because I do not want to hit my head against the walls ... but I will do it :)
vortexsupernova wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:48 am
hi.
I opened both versions on Audacity to compare them.
I listened to each version separately and then at the same time, switching from one to the other.

With my cheap headphones, I think that the bass volume is a little too high.
As the bass is more pronounced, I perceive much more compression effects, e.g. between 01m05 and 01m30, there are small pumping effects not very nice I think.
On this point, I prefer the previous version.
Similarly, as the volume of the bass is higher, the kick seems less impacting, I felt that between 01m30 and 02m00.
As the bass is more marked, the latest version seems more muffled. In this sense, the first version seems more airy to me, the high-mediums stand out more (perhaps is related to the eq, in the last version there is a small hollow, a point of inflection towards 600 Hz which acts between 300Hz and 1000Hz).

On my speakers, I could not listen to high volume (here it is past midnight).
My feelings are different than with my headphones. Here I appreciate the bass better, it sounds nice at low volume. I notice that you added pan effects in the last version, e.g. from 04m27, it goes well.

In the end, I like both versions. Maybe the volume of the bass of the last version is a bit too high.
A suggestion, maybe you can make a mix between the two version, a mix in the sense of the dj, to see what it happens when you mute from time to time the bass.
I think some sections would work better without or with less bass, for example the break from 03m06. Should test to see, Idk.

Regarding the outro, I think a few more bars would be good :)
Yeah, the transition from LMMS 0.4.x to version 1 was hard, especially for projects containing Organic. I liked the old Organic. Now, with RC6, I am scared, I have not yet installed it because I do not want to hit my head against the walls ...
UFFFF my first LMMS file in 0.4.x is incompatible to 1.1.3 because of Organic, sadly. I wish I could somehow try to emulate the sounds when I was a noob, but there is no hope. This song's project file is also incompatible in RC-6 because some overlaying of effects seems to be fixed now (and the dubstep snare depends its sound in compression of 200 hz, welp)

~•~
With my cheap headphones... As the bass is more pronounced, I perceive much more compression effects
...I tried listening to it in my sister's cheaper headphones too. The bass seems to be a lot muffled and the panning is not accurate
--------------------------------
My feelings are different than with my headphones. Here I appreciate the bass better, it sounds nice at low volume.
Have you listened to it with a comfortable loudness? Some parts may sound good (or bad) depending on the amplitude, so I would know which part should be changed (I hope you didnt disturbed your roommates or apartment neighbors...)
I think some sections would work better without or with less bass, for example the break from 03m06. Should test to see, Idk.
Oh, thanks for the suggestion, but I didnt put the bassline there... maybe I could try to automate the EQ of that Zyn preset. I would also try to lessen the bass in some parts (somewhere in 1:30 part)
Regarding the outro, I think a few more bars would be good :)
Will do that in the shorter version :D (this is an extended "music video" version)
Thanks for the suggestions :) but I have one question...
I opened both versions on Audacity to compare them
how did you download them?????
vortexsupernova wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:57 am
Yeah, the transition from LMMS 0.4.x to version 1 was hard, especially for projects containing Organic. I liked the old Organic. Now, with RC6, I am scared, I have not yet installed it because I do not want to hit my head against the walls ...
UFFFF my first LMMS file in 0.4.x is incompatible to 1.1.3 because of Organic, sadly. I wish I could somehow try to emulate the sounds when I was a noob, but there is no hope. This song's project file is also incompatible in RC-6 because some overlaying of effects seems to be fixed now (and the dubstep snare depends its sound in compression of 200 hz, welp)
You can reinstall a version 0.4.x, open your project, and delete the old Organic (maybe there is a faster method?).

vortexsupernova wrote:
With my cheap headphones... As the bass is more pronounced, I perceive much more compression effects
...I tried listening to it in my sister's cheaper headphones too. The bass seems to be a lot muffled and the panning is not accurate
My feelings are different than with my headphones. Here I appreciate the bass better, it sounds nice at low volume.
Have you listened to it with a comfortable loudness? Some parts may sound good (or bad) depending on the amplitude, so I would know which part should be changed (I hope you didnt disturbed your roommates or apartment neighbors...)
No, I had listened to it at low volume. Indeed, should test at high volume.

vortexsupernova wrote:
Oh, thanks for the suggestion, but I didnt put the bassline there... maybe I could try to automate the EQ of that Zyn preset. I would also try to lessen the bass in some parts (somewhere in 1:30 part)
No bass at 03m16s? Maybe an instrument with frequency in the low (or medium depending on how to use these terms). Otherwise, you can hear what I mean by using the Audacity method (which works on Audacity 2.1.2, at least on my PC):
1) you import both versions (on two separate tracks),
2) you put the first trak in Mute + Solo mode,
3) you click on play,
4) and you click on the Solo mode of the first track (it will become silent since Mute is activated) to listen alternately the two tracks being played.

vortexsupernova wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions :) but I have one question...
I opened both versions on Audacity to compare them
how did you download them?????
Lol, I think I have used a third site on which it is possible to download .mp3 (keywords: mp3 converter).