The Party - Kraze, Cover attempt

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
114 posts
Interesting feedback from the Linux musicians forum.

Something to try, although I still think I hear a kind of dadum :P
barbouze wrote:To me it sounds duum dum dum, no da. :?
The dadum is an illusion caused by the kick that blends well with the bass and triggers compression. This causes a volume drop in the bass and instead of a DUUUMm you get a DUuUMm. As the bass is offbeat and the kick is on the beat it enforce this effect. Try something like this:

Code: Select all

Bass:    e>.e.e..e>.e.e..a
Kick:     !...!...!...!...

dots are 1/16th silences and the > means the note is continuous, here a 1/8th.
Both the kick and the bass are mono (no stereo effects at all) to glue them together and get that groove.
Can I do mono in lmms though ?

Been listening to few bowie tracks, and I am still lost on that part. lol
Gps wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:13 am
Interesting feedback from the Linux musicians forum.
Indeed! So the difference should be caused by 'freq-fighting' :0 ?
Could be.. hmmmm...
This is not 'just' of interest here. Very often there are these bass sounds, that just sounds different, even though played on some note!
Both the kick and the bass are mono (no stereo effects at all) to glue them together and get that groove.
Can I do mono in lmms though ?
Nooo :'/ ..that is a problem! True mono we cant. 'Mono' as in one-speaker-only.. or....
What can really be accomplished with the stereo-matrix-pluggin(?) I have tried to understand this 'true-mono' before, but i have not b able to..
Been listening to few bowie tracks, and I am still lost on that part. lol
Try instead to play the child-in-time notes longer, and remember: in CiT first note is repeated twice. Bowie repeat second note twice! -Not in sequence , though..

How about this: https://soundcloud.com/musikbear/krazethepartygroove2
That is totally bound to 1/32 spacings
Should that not be: Smoke on the water ? ;)

More info from the Linux musicians forum. I am now gonna ask for help on openSUSE forum, about sonic visualizer.
I seem to have a problem were the program cant find some plugins.

Yellow vertical lines are the kick and red/purple/blue rectangles are the bass and its harmonics. This confirms that you've been told the correct notes (e-e-g-a) as well as the pattern I guessed.
Gps wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:06 am
Should that not be: Smoke on the water ? ;)
Nooo read back kraze was 'Smoke'
The Bowie piece uses CiT notes, the one from start off
sonic visualizer.
Wooooo That is some visualizer!!!
It tells everything :
* The kick is not at beat one, but it is evenly spaced!
* there are 3 bass notes in each bar
* bass never overlaps kick!

Extremely good piece of software! I wonder if it exists in a win-version...
Sonic Visualizer Download:
Its says Win Mac and Linux. ( and omg an apimage for linux, now that is good news )
https://www.sonicvisualiser.org/download.html

I do hope that the plugins we need, are there for windows too.

Its a plugin for sonic visualizer that draws that pic. ( I believe in real time )

Some of the vamp plugins, can also be used in Audacity, but not the one showing the notes played.
Because audacity can't do that.

I suddenly remembered, I tried sonic visualizer before and failed, it was for the Newclues - Jam on it. (to get that fast arpeggio part)

Another cover that needs finishing, then I plan on no more covers, but use what I learned in my own tracks.

I stand corrected for some part, From the Linux musicians forum:
I simply downloaded the 3.1.1 appimage and didn't install any plugin, this is the builtin melodic range spectrogram.
So it seems we don't need to download plugins for what we want. ( to see the notes and kicks )

So for windows it should be as simple as download the exe, and use the melodic range spectrogram.

Off topic.
Very happy with appimage also for LMMS.
It makes it on Linux as easy as on windows, were you download an exe.

This is less safe then the normal Linux way, but the user in me is beyond happy with the appimage.

And what goes for all OS, never download anything from sites you do not know you can trust.
I asked about the mono part.

If I understand it right, we need a left and right channel that are identical, no left right delay between the two tracks.

barbouze wrote:
Gps wrote: One question, about the mono part. ( gluing the kick to the bassline )

LMMS prob can't do that ? if its explained in any daw though, I am interested, even if I can't do it in lmms.

I am old enough to know what mono means, but because LMMS is in stereo like most daw ? I am confused already. :)
Of course it can! A mono signal in a stereo track is simply both left and right channels playing the same thing. :wink:
Gps wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:19 pm
Sonic Visualizer Download:
And what goes for all OS, never download anything from sites you do not know you can trust.
So true! But that goes with everything online :P
- I had to downgrade to a pre-win10 version, because the current off. does not cover 'old' windows ver. (Erroneous intrance-point issue), but the 2015 version, works flawless, and i can get a similar analytic output!
It also looks like it can do much more, so it could be a new audacity..
Need to study it, but it looks very interesting indeed.
True MONO.
I have read that you cant with more than one speaker. Having the same output from several speakers creates a 'broad' soundscape, whereas all sound from one speaker creates a sound-point
That however, could be almost zen philosophy 'nonsense', and not be directly related to this mono.. idk
I googled and found some interesting discussions about mono and LMMS.

I remember one day putting two speakers on a mono device.
That did not give me stereo. And only exactly in the middle I could hear both speakers. :P

Mono in this case seems to be a left and right channel that are identical.
I am still lost on how to do that in lmms though.

I have been playing with the stereo matrix. It might be able to create fake mono.

Sonic visualizer seem a program like audacity, but it can do more, although some vamp plugins also work in audacity.
After a mild headache, I hooked up my midi controller, and played along with the bassline.

There was not enough space between the first and the second note of my base line.
Spacing between the last two notes of the three was right.

The only part confusing me, in this topic I stated that the second piano part matches the bass line.

My bassline though did not match that spacing. :o

Still confused on how that happened, but more important found one problem with the bassline.
Bring in the dancing girls.

I just did a test, my bass line and the Tunnel remix.

I am 100% in key and in sync. :D
114 posts