Happy Holidays Boom-Bap Instrumental

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
The Sample was chopped in the Shuriken Beat slicer, then exported as a Hydrogen Drum Machine Kit. I played the chops and drums in Hydrogen using my Roland SP-606 as the controller. I Exported those stems to LMMS 1.2.0-rc5 and sequenced them with the LB302 played on my Korg microSTATION for Bass, LADSPA for EFX And a couple of Automation Tracks. I plan on writing the lyrics tonight and recording the vocals in Ardour tomorrow morning. I've been video taping the whole process and hope to have a music-video / tutorial out before Christmas Day. let me know whatcha think.

https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz/happy-h ... al/s-n09X6

Image Image
Its a fun track, I like it.

Might need a bit more variation ?
well, that track is just a guild line for me to record vocals.

i'm taking a break from recording them now.

once the vocals are lined up and cleaned up, i'll export the stems from LMMS
and lay them across the vocals in the most pleasing way i can.

i do tend to make beats that are a little monotonous cause i'm a rapper
and tend to think of instrumentals as a canvas to paint my vocals on,
as such, i don't want the beat to be too distracting during the vocal recording.

i have gotten the "that beats bland" talk before and i hear ya! fixing in post.
This is quite a good beat you made here.
If you were not going to rap over it, I would have said, that I think the melody and the bass
should be a tiny bit louder though. But not too loud, to drown out the snare, and other sounds etc.
But overall, what I have heard so far, sounds really good.
brandystarbrite wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:48 am
This is quite a good beat you made here.
If you were not going to rap over it, I would have said, that I think the melody and the bass
should be a tiny bit louder though. But not too loud, to drown out the snare, and other sounds etc.
But overall, what I have heard so far, sounds really good.
Thanks brandystarbrite,

it's quite hard for me to work out the bass. in some systems it's too low on others it's overpowering
and i'm having trouble finding the sweet spot.

no to mention that i suck at bass altogether, i can have the bones of a beat done in less than an hr and the bass might take me the rest of the day.

it's really heard being a bedroom music producer with no one to really guild you.

thanks for the tip. i'll try to get the low end up.