a constructive critique

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
I am a newbie in EDM production and there is a lot of new things for me to learn, that I don't know what should I begin with.
My newest song Headphones Celebration:
https://soundcloud.com/karel-kohout-859 ... elebration
is the first song with my new headphones, hence the name :D

Could anyone, who's more experience than me, tell me what I did wrong, what could I do better and maybe even what I did well in this song? :) Or is that worth it? Should I even continue in EDM production?

Thanks!
It's pretty good for a new producer! How new are you?

I started LMMS about a year ago with absolutely zero experience in music. I've improved since, but this stuff certainly beats what I was doing for my first ~3 months. It has it's own character, which I quite like.
I think its good, but the trumpet sound is too overwhelming (too loud) I think.

You can try adding reverb as somebody on soundcloud suggested.

I like that suggestion.
The song is actually nice.
Also think the trumpet is one of the most "annoying" sounds in the mix, with different sounds this could go bananas. :D

For a new guy, you have a pretty good notion about what is the sound you want to achieve, or at least that is what it looks like.
I liked the saw sounds those octaves you said you couldn't fix, they aren't that bad either and give some character to the song.

The kick isn't probably as powerful as you might think by earing through a headset. try listening on your mobile, computer, car, etc, to be sure how it sounds.

As Gps suggested, the reverb effect is one of your best friends in sound effects, sometimes echo also can be great.
Try a few, and maybe you will discover new tricks to improve your sound.
Thanks for all the replies.
SkyEyeMCCIX wrote:How new are you?
Actually I'm not new to music composition. I used to study it several years ago. But I'm new to EDM production and LMMS. I've been making music in that peace of software for about three months.
Gps wrote:the trumpet sound is too overwhelming
Canilho wrote:the trumpet is one of the most "annoying" sounds
Yeah, I know it. I spent a lot of time to find a saw-like sound that is strong enough but without phasing issues. And I wasn't able to do it :( I'd like to learn sound design in Zyn Add Sub FX, to make typical sounds for EDM genres and then change them to my own picture. Do you have any suggestion where to begin?

Thanks for other recommendations, i.e. sound effects. I will experiment with them :)
I just did a cover of an house track and had a big fight with a bit of a trumpet like sound.

At first is was to gently but after some tweaking in zynaddsubfx it was overpowering everything else.

I was was not expecting mixing of any track to be so hard. But it is.

What sometimes helps me is watching people mix. Program does not matter, found a few good albeton vids, the principles also apply to LMMS.

Then found out this guy is a pro producer of the free masons which explains why his vid is so use full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VotQgzP6Uxg

Mixed and produced? by him and the other half of the freemasons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7atizv6s5o
docJekyll wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:59 pm
Gps wrote:the trumpet sound is too overwhelming
Canilho wrote:the trumpet is one of the most "annoying" sounds
Yeah, I know it. I spent a lot of time to find a saw-like sound that is strong enough but without phasing issues. And I wasn't able to do it :( I'd like to learn sound design in Zyn Add Sub FX, to make typical sounds for EDM genres and then change them to my own picture. Do you have any suggestion where to begin?

Thanks for other recommendations, i.e. sound effects. I will experiment with them :)
This tune is nice.
I might be in the minority here, but the trumpet, doesn't sound that annoying to me. :P
Don't kill me dudes! :lol: :lol:

Maybe adding some eq, or reverb, or echo, or a combination of them
to the trumpet sound, might make the trumpet, sound super good.

Also, if you want, search for a good trumpet soundfont on the internet, and see
if that might work. :D