Experimenting with mangled sounds

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
I put this track together last weekend. I feel like it might be missing something, but I don't know what, or how much it matters. It ended up mostly being an experiment in mangling instrument sounds with filter envelopes and some bit crushing. I like the sound I achieved, but I knew if I tried to get it to the point where i was 100% happy with it, it'd never be done so I got it as close as I could. Let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/robotsarepeopletoo/compromise
Foggy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:13 pm
I put this track together last weekend. I feel like it might be missing something, but I don't know what, or how much it matters. It ended up mostly being an experiment in mangling instrument sounds with filter envelopes and some bit crushing. I like the sound I achieved, but I knew if I tried to get it to the point where i was 100% happy with it, it'd never be done so I got it as close as I could. Let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/robotsarepeopletoo/compromise
I enjoyed it (once it stopped sounding like a wake up alarm :D). It's a great showcase of mangled basses imo and you built up a nice atmosphere to the track. I guess you could add some dramatic drums and choir/violin sounds towards the end or something if you wanted to. But it's fine as is.
Yeah, I agree with Rakso, the beginning was a little annoying (a la wake up alarm,) but after that, it was pretty good!
This sounds really nice. I like how it builds up to this whole, surreal ambient style sounding music.

Tip: I think the intro might need something extra, to make it sound a bit cooler.
Thanks guys! I guess I did overdo the alarm noise... I spent way too much time figuring out the ritardo at the end (and I still don't like it that much) and sorta neglected the beginning. I think it's hard to realize just how annoying something like that is until you hear it without the visual feedback from LMMS!

Sorta ties in with what Brandy said too, about adding something more to the beginning. I thought about putting in some radio noises, but I just did that with one of my other recent tracks and I want to try something different.
I like the ambience you have going especially with the waves of staticky noise in the background. I was looking for some sort of release and I was disappointed that there wasn't one, it feels like a build up to some epic moment.
fatraccoons wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:56 pm
I like the ambience you have going especially with the waves of staticky noise in the background. I was looking for some sort of release and I was disappointed that there wasn't one, it feels like a build up to some epic moment.
I can understand your disappointment. I usually try to come to a bigger climax than I did, but I kinda ran out of ideas by the time I got there. There's also the fact that I was making it for a minecraft resource pack that my friend is working on and I didn't want to make it too long or complex. I'll have to revisit it and see if I can improve on it.

I'm glad you at least liked the ambience! That's really what I was going for over everything else.
Foggy wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:04 pm
fatraccoons wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:56 pm
I can understand your disappointment. I usually try to come to a bigger climax than I did, but I kinda ran out of ideas by the time I got there. There's also the fact that I was making it for a minecraft resource pack that my friend is working on and I didn't want to make it too long or complex. I'll have to revisit it and see if I can improve on it.

I'm glad you at least liked the ambience! That's really what I was going for over everything else.
I think you should keep it in your musical backlog, it's really awesome and if you get another idea for a climax section then you can add a cool intro and then you'll have a great song. My problem composing music with lyrics especially is that I can come up with really cool snippets but it's hard for me to contextualize them, so like I'll have a ton of bits and pieces with no idea how to add any of them up into a whole song. There's some stuff that Andrew Huang has on workflow and how to develop snippets, I don't know if you need help with that but it's still cool.