Some experimental slow yet aggressive dubstep

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
https://soundcloud.com/skyeye-mccix/lou ... -1/s-BaVaa

Feel free to skip to 2:50 if you're feeling a tad lazy

Alrighty here's an experimental unreleased dubstep track I've got done. I call the style Hellstep (i originally wanted to call it Satanstep but that doesn't quite roll off the tongue); characterized by slow basslines with huge, fat basses. It's sorta what I like to hear in dubstep; a lot of modern dubstep is a bit to much like glitch hop nowadays I'd say. I took some inspiration from some older dubstep tracks like Zeds Dead's remix of Eyes On Fire.

This one in particular, "Loudness War", is a particularly slow one compared to the other hellstep WIPs I've been working on, but it's the only one pretty much complete, and I'd really like some feedback

What do you think about it? Would you say it's good? And what do you feel about this hellstep style?
I think your hellstep idea is a pretty solid concept, and I like where it's going. I haven't listened to a LOT of dubstep, mostly old Porter Robinson, and the idea you've got for hellstep honestly gives me the warm fuzzies. I always felt that dubstep was to EDM as death metal was to rock. And if that's the case, this is closer akin to the sludgiest of sludge metal, and I love it.

I really started to get into your track around the two minute mark, when you brought the synths in to augment the piano part. The drop after that bit seemed to make a lot more sense to me, and I think I better understood what you were trying to get at. Before that, my feelings on the whole thing were kinda so-so. The intro felt honestly a little boring, there was no feeling in the piano, it didn't build any tension. It needed more. I feel like that's the kind of thing that you'll get with practice, the more tracks you make, the more you'll hone your craft.

Your track isn't perfect, but I think it's a really good start. Keep creating, I can't wait to see where this goes!
Foggy wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:57 pm
I think your hellstep idea is a pretty solid concept, and I like where it's going. I haven't listened to a LOT of dubstep, mostly old Porter Robinson, and the idea you've got for hellstep honestly gives me the warm fuzzies. I always felt that dubstep was to EDM as death metal was to rock. And if that's the case, this is closer akin to the sludgiest of sludge metal, and I love it.

I really started to get into your track around the two minute mark, when you brought the synths in to augment the piano part. The drop after that bit seemed to make a lot more sense to me, and I think I better understood what you were trying to get at. Before that, my feelings on the whole thing were kinda so-so. The intro felt honestly a little boring, there was no feeling in the piano, it didn't build any tension. It needed more. I feel like that's the kind of thing that you'll get with practice, the more tracks you make, the more you'll hone your craft.

Your track isn't perfect, but I think it's a really good start. Keep creating, I can't wait to see where this goes!
Thanks for the advice! This was actually my first time ever doing a piano solo. I do have more hellstep songs already uploaded, as well as a sample pack (was just about to make a post actually). I do believe you'll find them better, as I kept the piano solo intro a gimmick specifically for this song only

Also, yes I was definitely going for a more sinister, sludge metal theme. I was actually first inspired by deathstep tracks but I felt like a lot of deathstep could use a bit more mid end and less up top. *Much* less.
I just noticed your signature, too. Right on.