New track - Hayfever - trippy summer beat

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
hey all

my newest beat made in lmms is up on soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/beagle31/hayfever

please give it a listen and let me know what you think!
beagle wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:26 pm
hey all

This sounds dope dude!
And I like what you did, with the oriental sounding sounds too.
brandystarbrite wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:15 am
beagle wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:26 pm
hey all

This sounds dope dude!
And I like what you did, with the oriental sounding sounds too.
thanks man! send me a message and I can send you the plugin for it if you like?
Hi Beagle,

As I wrote in comment on souncloud, this is a nice track.

Two things:
- Why is the bass so low?
- Nice work on the hihat, but the fills sound a bit like a machine gun. Maybe is this part of the style...Anyway, it is quite simple to avoid this "machine gun" effect. A picture is worth a thousand words:

Mo Stitchi wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:57 pm
Hi Beagle,

As I wrote in comment on souncloud, this is a nice track.

Two things:
- Why is the bass so low?
- Nice work on the hihat, but the fills sound a bit like a machine gun. Maybe is this part of the style...Anyway, it is quite simple to avoid this "machine gun" effect. A picture is worth a thousand words:

Thank you for the feedback Mo! Very insightful stuff, especially about the hi hats - usually I stagger the velocity as you have done, however I do this in the drum machine, meaning the curve probably isn't as nice as yours. I will have a go at doing them with the piano roll for fills though, as you have done :)

In regard to the bassline, by low do you mean in terms of frequency or volume itself? I had a go at a bit of mastering myself on this one, as the sub samples I used were so low they are actually quite poor for playback on small speakers (as i soon discovered myself), but when listening back with speakers it is a lot more pronounced? I am interested to hear more from you on this though, as this is an area of my production that I have been wanting/attempting to polish recently.
Hi Beagle,

The level of the bass line seemed quite low on my laptop computer. I plugged the Altec Lansing speakers I use to mix my dub tunes, and the bass level was just fine. So please disregard my comment about the bass level :roll:

BTW, nice deep bass sound! I'm interested to know where you found the sample, it would perfectly fit for some psy dub track.
Mo Stitchi wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:47 pm
Hi Beagle,

The level of the bass line seemed quite low on my laptop computer. I plugged the Altec Lansing speakers I use to mix my dub tunes, and the bass level was just fine. So please disregard my comment about the bass level :roll:

BTW, nice deep bass sound! I'm interested to know where you found the sample, it would perfectly fit for some psy dub track.
ahh, excellent, i am glad to hear that ;) to be fair, still a useful comment as ideally i want the subs etc to pop a bit more on smaller speakers too!

r.e. the sample, I think it was an 808 from one of the free hip hop packs they give away on Cymatics. I will double check the exact pack and get back to you, or alternatively message me on something and I can arrange to share the packs with you :)
Having a nice bass sound with small speakers seems to be the squaring of the cercle :(
To be honest, I don't even try...I'm of the assumption that dub freaks will have the suitable speakers.

Maybe adding a bit of medium would help.
Mo Stitchi wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:06 pm
Having a nice bass sound with small speakers seems to be the squaring of the cercle :(
To be honest, I don't even try...I'm of the assumption that dub freaks will have the suitable speakers.

Maybe adding a bit of medium would help.
yeah i get you - to be honest at the moment i'm just making eq curves so the subs/kick compliment one another (i.e. tryna make the kick pop) and then playing with the foldover distortion plugin to give it a bit of grit for smaller ones!