Vav - Blackness Between Stars

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
https://soundcloud.com/user-255042164/b ... -the-stars

Hi guys, I'm pretty new around here. Been playing around with LMMS off and on for several months, still feeling a little overwhelmed sometimes by all there is to know about music production. I've been posting some of my finished projects over on the sharing platform, but I want feedback more than anything, so that I can use it to improve.

I have always loved theme music and video game music, and my dream is to make music for games someday. This track was inspired by a game I have been playing recently called Starsector. It's kind of like Mount and Blade but in space. The music in the game is very post-apocalyptic and dark, and that was kind of what I was aiming for. I think the fanfare sections of this track maybe bring the mood up too much, but I decided to keep them in for contrast. Anyway, I would love to hear what you think, and what could be better! Thanks in advance!

If you head over to the sharing platform you can find the mmpz file this was derived from. https://lmms.io/lsp/?action=show&file=15437

Mostly stock assets used. I doctored it up in Audacity after rendering to remove the worst of the clipping.
On first listen, it is arranged very well indeed, i would need to listen to it again a couple times to give any further real breakdown from my perspective on that.

For a video game, it definitely fits as the opening score or end score when you have finished, however, being a big video game fan having owned all of these when they were released (Atari2600, Atari7800, AtariST, Amiga 500, Commodore64, Sega Master system, Sega Megadrive, PS1, PS2, PS3, Wii,.... i am only showing off now) I think you need to find a less 'cluttered' loop for in game play.

I apologies for using the word 'cluttered', a better word would be 'Busy',........what i am getting at is when you are playing, you need something repetitive and catchy, a good a simple loop.

Listen to the background music from Super Mario, its simple and a loop that compliments the game play.

If the music distracts you when your playing, you wont enjoy the game play, to two have to fit nicely together.

If i can use Mario as an example once more, when the music is looping, the on screen graphics (Flowers, Turtles etc) move in sync with the music at times, that binds the game to the music (Very clever)

Thats my two pence worth, hope it has been some help to you.
Incorruptable wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:33 am
On first listen, it is arranged very well indeed, i would need to listen to it again a couple times to give any further real breakdown from my perspective on that.

For a video game, it definitely fits as the opening score or end score when you have finished, however, being a big video game fan having owned all of these when they were released (Atari2600, Atari7800, AtariST, Amiga 500, Commodore64, Sega Master system, Sega Megadrive, PS1, PS2, PS3, Wii,.... i am only showing off now) I think you need to find a less 'cluttered' loop for in game play.

I apologies for using the word 'cluttered', a better word would be 'Busy',........what i am getting at is when you are playing, you need something repetitive and catchy, a good a simple loop.

Listen to the background music from Super Mario, its simple and a loop that compliments the game play.

If the music distracts you when your playing, you wont enjoy the game play, to two have to fit nicely together.

If i can use Mario as an example once more, when the music is looping, the on screen graphics (Flowers, Turtles etc) move in sync with the music at times, that binds the game to the music (Very clever)

Thats my two pence worth, hope it has been some help to you.
Thank you for the advice. I think that you are right, simplicity is important. I'll try and focus on this during future projects, especially those aimed at VGM.
Wow! I like the adventurous, spacey sound of this tune. Sick! :D