My first attempt at making music in lmms, any opinions?

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
You can do better than this ;)
invain wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:18 pm
Any tips?
DarkWorld12 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:17 pm
Any tips?
First of all, I'm not that familiar with game music.

Your track sounds like a collection of 4 times patterns rather than like music. I hear a block, then another block, and so on...There is a lack of link between these blocks.

Try, for example, to add a snare hit on the "and" of the fourth time.
Hi DarkWorld12,

it's pretty nice for a 1st attempt and I'll talk as a non expert of this kind of song even if I often listen to video games music. Here're my suggestions:

For me the intro is a good start (the 6 1st seconds) but I'd probably go more progressively to the 2nd part after 6 second by adding an other segment of 6 seconds. To add some power on your track I'd suggest to add some strings (dark or medieval strings with different notes if possible) with reverberations and probably a very low frequency sound to enhance the dark atmosphere of the overall (you'll perhaps have to cut the lower frequency or the grizzly sound, Im not sure). But I guess the music lacks of a "kind of climax segment". Maybe you can add some plucks (again with different notes) or something similar to accompany this segment. This music will sound less redundant. You can also choose some parts of the segment between 1:03 and 1:11 as an outro.

About transitions between each parts I'd say for similar video games music that's not mandatory (except after the 6 secs I suggested) however I was a little bit lost in the structure of the music. I'd suggest to enhance the structure of the song. Not sure if Im clear about this point.

Finally I found the overall volume of the music relatively low. Of course I can still increase the sound of my device but don't hesitate to increase the volume of your tracks as much as you can. Just don't increase too much to avoid saturation.

I really think you can do something good with the material you have and I already recognize video game music style in what you have already done.

Cheers,

RD
Reiodust wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:49 pm
Hi DarkWorld12,

it's pretty nice for a 1st attempt and I'll talk as a non expert of this kind of song even if I often listen to video games music. Here're my suggestions:

For me the intro is a good start (the 6 1st seconds) but I'd probably go more progressively to the 2nd part after 6 second by adding an other segment of 6 seconds. To add some power on your track I'd suggest to add some strings (dark or medieval strings with different notes if possible) with reverberations and probably a very low frequency sound to enhance the dark atmosphere of the overall (you'll perhaps have to cut the lower frequency or the grizzly sound, Im not sure). But I guess the music lacks of a "kind of climax segment". Maybe you can add some plucks (again with different notes) or something similar to accompany this segment. This music will sound less redundant. You can also choose some parts of the segment between 1:03 and 1:11 as an outro.

About transitions between each parts I'd say for similar video games music that's not mandatory (except after the 6 secs I suggested) however I was a little bit lost in the structure of the music. I'd suggest to enhance the structure of the song. Not sure if Im clear about this point.

Finally I found the overall volume of the music relatively low. Of course I can still increase the sound of my device but don't hesitate to increase the volume of your tracks as much as you can. Just don't increase too much to avoid saturation.

I really think you can do something good with the material you have and I already recognize video game music style in what you have already done.

Cheers,

RD
Thanks
DarkWorld12 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:17 pm
invain wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:18 pm
Any tips?
Try using more than 3 notes in the song, making something more interesting. This melody have some atmosphere with it 3 repetitive tones, however sound are somehow dry and dull, put some reverb on sounds, chorus on cybals, some pads, basses, counterpoints in melody... hope this hepls but in the end it is important that it sounds as YOU want.