Synthwave/Outrun Track

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum, have known LMMS for a while but never really committed to writing a full song. I didn't know much about synthetizers and would usually get stuck with small loops that I couldn't develop further (still happens).

Last couple of days, I tried to learn the basics about synthetizers and play around with LMMS again, finally writing a complete song. I enjoyed some things about it, like being able to transition from more dreamy chill parts to a more heavy verse, the chords progression. Also liked one preset I built on Synth1 that I used in the heavy verse. I'm still not happy with the drums though, I tried to edit the kick and snare samples to increase their length and add some reverb to build volume, but I'm not sure it worked well. Maybe I could add some chords and melody variations as well.

Any tips on improvements I could do are appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/user-95117366/strive
Hey man, nice chill song, I like the atmosphere!
For the drums - your drums have no cymbals! My suggestion - put some hi-hats, crashes, rides to make it more interesting. Too much reverb on the kick drum IMO, but maybe you wanted to sound this way. Usually this deep kick bass echo could be filled with real bass sound. I'm also a beginner on music producing so don't take my advices too seriusly. :)
Thanks man!

The reverb was intentional, I was looking for something in this style (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bpivB8z0gU0). Both the kick and snare really fill up the space on that song, I don’t think I achieved the same thing though. Do you guys usually prefer to work with samples for drums or do you manage to create/find good presets for them?
IanCaio wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:57 pm
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum, have known LMMS for a while but never really committed to writing a full song. I didn't know much about synthetizers and would usually get stuck with small loops that I couldn't develop further (still happens).

Last couple of days, I tried to learn the basics about synthetizers and play around with LMMS again, finally writing a complete song. I enjoyed some things about it, like being able to transition from more dreamy chill parts to a more heavy verse, the chords progression. Also liked one preset I built on Synth1 that I used in the heavy verse. I'm still not happy with the drums though, I tried to edit the kick and snare samples to increase their length and add some reverb to build volume, but I'm not sure it worked well. Maybe I could add some chords and melody variations as well.

This sounds really good. Not bad at all.

I like that pad intro. It sounds really neat. And you did some really good work, making the audio clips blend in well with the music. All this track needs, is a bit more mixing and mastering, and quality wise, it'll sound even better. But what you have so far, sounds good enough.

IanCaio wrote:
Maybe I could add some chords and melody variations as well.

It seems you know what to do to improve the track. And that is very good. :D

IanCaio wrote:Do you guys usually prefer to work with samples for drums or do you manage to create/find good presets for them?
I normally use drum samples. But if I can't find a good drum sample, then I try to make one with a synth vst. Or I use the Kicker plugin, that comes with Lmms.
brandystarbrite wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:01 am
IanCaio wrote:
Hey everyone!

This sounds really good. Not bad at all.

I like that pad intro. It sounds really neat. And you did some really good work, making the audio clips blend in well with the music. All this track needs, is a bit more mixing and mastering, and quality wise, it'll sound even better. But what you have so far, sounds good enough.

IanCaio wrote:
Maybe I could add some chords and melody variations as well.

It seems you know what to do to improve the track. And that is very good. :D

IanCaio wrote:Do you guys usually prefer to work with samples for drums or do you manage to create/find good presets for them?
I normally use drum samples. But if I can't find a good drum sample, then I try to make one with a synth vst. Or I use the Kicker plugin, that comes with Lmms.
Thanks a lot man! I've been a little absent in the forum and only saw the message now. I reworked this song, ended up getting rid of the speech in the background along with other changes. One that took me some thought was modifying that intro. I liked the chords progression but it wasn't fitting well into the song as a whole.

The new version is in the same link if you want to check how it sounds like now!
Uh, sounds chill.

keep it up
I really like the chill parts with the different instruments fading in and out.
s0n_0f_ta_glitch wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:55 am
Uh, sounds chill.

keep it up
Thanks man! For sure, it's taking me some time, but I'm working on another track

FilthyWizard wrote: I really like the chill parts with the different instruments fading in and out.
Thanks! The transitions were a bit tricky to come up with, glad it sounds good :D