I'm new to beat making, what do you think of this?

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hey all! I just started with LMMS and I must say I really enjoy it so far. I even uploaded a couple of my beats to youtube, and now I am very curious to what you guys think of it! :D :D
https://youtu.be/h2m6EuDpTZo (I kinda failed at that intro haha)

What are your tips for example for beginners? What are some cool tricks you do to make it a bit more dynamic etc.?
augusts99 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:38 pm
Hey all! I just started with LMMS and I must say I really enjoy it so far. I even uploaded a couple of my beats to youtube, and now I am very curious to what you guys think of it! :D :D

What are your tips for example for beginners? What are some cool tricks you do to make it a bit more dynamic etc.?
Wooah! Now this is a really nice track. Like literally cool. :D
And the vid is cool too. It reminds of the sega game called Rez.
brandystarbrite wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:56 am
augusts99 wrote:

Wooah! Now this is a really nice track. Like literally cool. :D
And the vid is cool too. It reminds of the sega game called Rez.
Thanks man! :o :lol: When you are in that flow LMMS is so fun, even though I should be studying sometimes XD And the background gif is literally one of the first results if you google 'trippy gif', thought it was fitting haha
Very melodic beat! This is actually a very good first attempt! The melody is very good, and it's actually mixed pretty well.

The only commentary I can make on your piece is something that all younger producers should work on: tuning and highlighting 808s.

One tip that I would suggest to you for making your 808s more in tune would be bringing them up a few octaves so you can clearly hear their pitch. It is very useful, and does a lot for the beat.

By highlighting the 808s (not a very technical term), I just meant using kicks to really bolster the 808s when they come in. Some times, 808s don't come in very hard, and that kick is really important for keeping the rhythm.

Overall, amazing job! I can't say I did so well on my first attempt...
DeltaWasin wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:28 pm
Very melodic beat! This is actually a very good first attempt! The melody is very good, and it's actually mixed pretty well.

The only commentary I can make on your piece is something that all younger producers should work on: tuning and highlighting 808s.

One tip that I would suggest to you for making your 808s more in tune would be bringing them up a few octaves so you can clearly hear their pitch. It is very useful, and does a lot for the beat.

By highlighting the 808s (not a very technical term), I just meant using kicks to really bolster the 808s when they come in. Some times, 808s don't come in very hard, and that kick is really important for keeping the rhythm.

Overall, amazing job! I can't say I did so well on my first attempt...
That is actually a really good tip, thanks! I first thought that I needed to lower the 808s as much as possible, but I will experiment with that for sure! I actually also had a kick with my 808 at first, but I changed to another 808 as I thought that one was a little bit better but I get what you are saying and in hindsight you're true I think. Thanks man!
augusts99 wrote:

Hi augusts99,

The track is so coooool. In particular the lead is very well chosen and the medlody catchy as well, even if it's kinda repetitive (but it didn't bother me). The overall is very well balanced. I also like the movie.

A very effective track. Good job!

Cheers,
RD
I think your beat did a little bit of equalizing the sounds so you can hear the kick hi hat and clap well

pass me your facebook or saunclaud.
Reiodust wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:59 pm
augusts99 wrote:

Hi augusts99,

The track is so coooool. In particular the lead is very well chosen and the medlody catchy as well, even if it's kinda repetitive (but it didn't bother me). The overall is very well balanced. I also like the movie.

A very effective track. Good job!

Cheers,
RD
Thanks man! Yeah I liked the lead also, at first I didn't have it because the lead is always so loud but it is actually really cool once you lower it a bit (its the angry lead sound in LB302 btw)
wil beats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:16 pm
I think your beat did a little bit of equalizing the sounds so you can hear the kick hi hat and clap well

Ah yeah, I did that for a bit but not fully, thats a really good tip tho. Unfortunately I have no facebook or soundcloud :(
augusts99 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:08 pm
wil beats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:16 pm

Ah yeah, I did that for a bit but not fully, thats a really good tip tho. Unfortunately I have no facebook or soundcloud :(
So where can you communicate more easily?