Having fun with LMMS, quiz time ?

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
After an fight of hours, because Its often a battle for me to find the right note length and were to put them.
Also after looking at a few synthesia vids, downloaded a midi file and getting quite confused.

Then found a vid of the original artist playing the bass line, which proved that at least one synthesia vid was close but not right.

I might have to slow down the original and listen some more, because at normal speed it nearly impossible to hear for me what is happening exactly.
I am getting very close though.

Googled the BPM and KEY. A minor 112 bpm

Part of me is shocked how close I am already to the original sound. Default LMMS sounds, no fine tuning or anything. :shock:
Need to check the chord progression, it's only a small start.

Now the quiz part, what am I covering? ( or butchering? ) :P

Bassline LMMS monstro synth, layered with zynaddsubfx.

Then zyaddsubfx for the strings. (jarre strings preset)

Kicker for the bassdrum.

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/test1

This song seems to fit LMMS nicely, or did I just get extreemly lucky, by picking these presets? :lol:

I suspect most people to recognize it instantly ?
The Eighties! A magic time for electronic music ! You are very close to the original melody ! I suspect though there might be use of arpeggiator in the original song because I can hear a few more notes in comparison to yours . You need to perform witchcraft !
I found this video, the guy who made this bassline.

He wanted to use minimoog, but because it was not there he used a polymoog.
He used a brass preset on the polymoog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmF_jeo ... io=1&t=741

Thank to his tip I used a brass preset on zynaddsubfx
(and the monstro synth from LMMS, phat preset)

I am pretty sure its not an arpeggiator but I agree something more seems to be happening. :)

I also imported the original as ogg file in the audio processor.

I am omg close to the original sound, but right now having some chord progression issues, with the part were they start to sing. :)

Fun ? fact, the lyrics in english and french mean the same.

One man on a lonely platform
One case sitting by his side
Two eyes staring cold and silent
Show fear as he turns to hide

Un homme dans une gare isolée
Une valise a ses cotés
Deux yeux fixes et froids
Montre de la peur lorsqu'il
Se tourne pour se cacher

Probably now have the right chord progression, I had:
A, A, F, G
but now have
A, A, C, D
Hi I tried to make the bass line for LMMS , thought it would be interesting ! yes no arpegiator needed !
I watched a youtube video and used the bpm from some official site .
113 bpm .
I hope it can help !

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hTDJJ_ ... sp=sharing
That will help, and I had a look. Thank you.

There is only one part were our basslines differ :D

But it does help me to see the chord progression.

The difference is around the 3 out of the 1,2,3,4. (between 1 and 2 in the piano roll).

You have two more notes there. :)

I have seen a synthesia vids with 3 notes at that spot, but I wonder, if that is correct.
I need to listen more to the original, maybe slow it down.

First impression is that it sounds less good. But that could be fixed with some knob turning on the synths and or the envelope.
Oops ! You are right ! I added one extra note by accident ! haha ! I say its at 95% precise .
Good luck with the project !
I have imported an mp3 of Fade to grey into lmms. (converted it with audacity to ogg)

For now its perfect, but I might gonna use a different version.
Its almost scary how close a brass preset of zynaddsub fx comes. :P

I have two versions of fade to grey at my pc, a longer and a shorter version.

The longer version which I am using now in LMMS starts different. It does not have that weird flute sound at the start.

Its for now good enough though, to get the chord progressions.

If I get desperate I can look at a midi file I found, for the notes.

I could off course use (copy paste) the notes form the midi file, but I never do this.

I always try to find the stuff by ear first. This way I keep training my musical hearing.
Too bad I still need some peeking at midi files though, or synthesia vids when I am covering stuff, but it is what it is. :)
:D