My second song, WILCO, is up. I'm really curious...

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
What kind of mental imagery or emotions the tune invokes? I was aiming for a retro sound... something like a mix of 80's video games and those somewhat cheesy electronic/synth songs that started gaining popularity in the late 70's-early 80's. I say "cheesy" with a bit of nostalgia and affection, though...

https://feralharmony.bandcamp.com/track/wilco

I did get some constructive feedback on my first song (SAUNTER) from the LMMS discord channel (#production). However, later when I posted an excerpt from another song, the feedback was a little more biased (my particular "genre" or "style" isn't what they are into on that channel.) I thought I'd mention that for the other people in this forum who've had their projects viewed multiple times and never get any responses.
curiouskitty wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:12 pm
What kind of mental imagery or emotions the tune invokes? I was aiming for a retro sound... something like a mix of 80's video games and those somewhat cheesy electronic/synth songs that started gaining popularity in the late 70's-early 80's. I say "cheesy" with a bit of nostalgia and affection, though...

https://feralharmony.bandcamp.com/track/wilco

I did get some constructive feedback on my first song (SAUNTER) from the LMMS discord channel (#production). However, later when I posted an excerpt from another song, the feedback was a little more biased (my particular "genre" or "style" isn't what they are into on that channel.) I thought I'd mention that for the other people in this forum who've had their projects viewed multiple times and never get any responses.
Hi curiouskitty,

Very nice 8 bit track ! I like how the melody seems to accelerate at the last part. It looks like a platformer where the difficulty is increasing. If I have a suggestion to make the track lacks of loudness : the sound looks too low. But for the rest it's a very good job.

Cheers,
RD
curiouskitty wrote:

Cool tune.
When I listen to it, I think of a puzzle game, or a puzzle tetris type game, that has cool graphics and is actually fun to play. :)

curiouskitty wrote:
However, later when I posted an excerpt from another song, the feedback was a little more biased (my particular "genre" or "style" isn't what they are into on that channel.) I thought I'd mention that for the other people in this forum who've had their projects viewed multiple times and never get any responses.
Really? Let us hear this other tune, that they don't like. :geek:
Really? Let us hear this other tune, that they don't like. :geek:
OK... keep in mind, it is a *draft* and it's only a small excerpt, so there's no beginning or end in the sound file because I only asked for very specific feedback on this particular section:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1blXtdI ... sp=sharing

I've already spent quite a bit of time reworking it, anyway. I basically wanted to know if the trombone was too loud, just right, or not quite enough to create a slightly menacing feeling.

Hi curiouskitty,

Very nice 8 bit track ! I like how the melody seems to accelerate at the last part. It looks like a platformer where the difficulty is increasing. If I have a suggestion to make the track lacks of loudness : the sound looks too low. But for the rest it's a very good job.

Cheers,
RD
Thank you for the feedback on the imagery! When you say the sound looks too low, are you saying the overall volume of the song is too quiet? Or something else?
While listening to this I thought s/he must be classically trained... and maybe into Bach? Impressive. I'll be honest here. Although you intend to have a "cheesy" sound I think your talent merits more professional-sounding software. It brought to mind going into a department store in the 1970s and hearing Christmas jingles from toys and early Casios. Again, I know you're looking for that sound, but this composition could really go somewhere with more dynamics and sustain in the keys.

Just my 'umble opinion...
curiouskitty wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:09 am

Hi curiouskitty,

Cheers,
RD
Thank you for the feedback on the imagery! When you say the sound looks too low, are you saying the overall volume of the song is too quiet? Or something else?
Hi curiouskitty,

Yes it sounds too quiet. I think you can easily increase the volume of the overall without creating clipping. Also I don't know how Bandcamp compresses the tracks. Maybe it just comes from Bandcamp. In order to verify you can take your original file and compare with some reference 8bit track.

Cheers,
RD