Asking for feedback on my new track, SKATE

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
So, I finished "composing" this song a few months ago. But, ever since then I've been struggling with the mixing/mastering. I just don't know if the dynamics are right, can't tell whether the bass is too little or too much, etc. I really want to get better at the mixing, but I'm kind of treading water. Sometimes I feel as if LMMS isn't quite as user-friendly as I want it to be. Other times, I'm sure it's just my lack of understanding.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18uACg- ... sp=sharing

Specific questions:
Is the bass too heavy? Does it have too much resonance?
Are the saw strings uncomfortable when they start to "buzz" a little bit? (I like the sound, but I don't want it to be unbearable to others.)
Is the dull bell too loud?
And does the tempo change feel natural enough?
Hi CuriousKitty . .
Unfortunately, as often happens with Gargoyle, the file won't play . . .
After a lovely multicolored 'spinner' display, it comes up with the message :
"There was a problem playing this audio file"
And then displays a 'Download' button instead.
Which, if you click, displays the message
"The page isn’t redirecting properly."
Maybe don't use Gargoyle? (They're not very good with software)
The link works fine . it opens a google drive player .

About the song ,it's a great composition .
The instruments, the bpm , the mixing is a personal choice and its good, I like it ,
its an electronic orchestral song it stands great as it is . .

My thoughts about it if I was going to change things :)

1 I would put some gaps- pause here and there add some "empty" spaces . It has a continuous notes flow as it is I think .
Kind of bulid up some tension . Maybe add a few off time chords - notes on the keyboard melodies

2 I would try some sampled orchestral instruments , adjust the volumes of each notes to humanize it a bit . .
Thats just me, electronic sounds are great too

3 Maybe put it a few bpm slower .

4 I would try make the tempo change somehow a curve instead of instant transition .

5 About drums , some electronic soft drum patterns would be nice i believe with tricky hihats .

6 some reverb maybe ? or other effects .

7 No need to rush finishing a song of such complexity . Although it sounds great I believe improvements can be made .
There is potential
back_to_work wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:17 pm
Hi CuriousKitty . .
Unfortunately, as often happens with Gargoyle, the file won't play . . .
After a lovely multicolored 'spinner' display, it comes up with the message :
"There was a problem playing this audio file"
And then displays a 'Download' button instead.
Which, if you click, displays the message
"The page isn’t redirecting properly."
Maybe don't use Gargoyle? (They're not very good with software)
I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. :? It has worked for other people... Are you using a phone? I'm using my google drive because I don't want to "publish" my song just yet.
SpinEternal wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:45 pm
The link works fine . it opens a google drive player .

About the song ,it's a great composition .
The instruments, the bpm , the mixing is a personal choice and its good, I like it ,
its an electronic orchestral song it stands great as it is . .

My thoughts about it if I was going to change things :)

1 I would put some gaps- pause here and there add some "empty" spaces . It has a continuous notes flow as it is I think .
Kind of bulid up some tension . Maybe add a few off time chords - notes on the keyboard melodies

2 I would try some sampled orchestral instruments , adjust the volumes of each notes to humanize it a bit . .
Thats just me, electronic sounds are great too

3 Maybe put it a few bpm slower .

4 I would try make the tempo change somehow a curve instead of instant transition .

5 About drums , some electronic soft drum patterns would be nice i believe with tricky hihats .

6 some reverb maybe ? or other effects .

7 No need to rush finishing a song of such complexity . Although it sounds great I believe improvements can be made .
There is potential
I do like the idea of having a pause or two in the song (I've definitely utilized that in a couple other songs). I'm not yet sure where it would feel natural to me, though... I think because it's stuck in my head a certain way, it's difficult for me to hear it differently. Maybe I'll play around with it this morning or afternoon.

I'll use orchestra samples in another project, but this specific project (album) is meant to be almost entirely electronic, and kind of minimal/sparse. Not a bad suggestion at all, it just doesn't fit my theme right now. :D

I'll toy with the bpm and see if I like it slower (at least for the first 2/3, before the transition.) And I think you might be right about having the tempo change on more of a curve, instead of the instant change.

I actually just added some snare this morning. And, having pretty much zero experience with percussion, it was a struggle! I'm not really sure what to do with a hi-hat, to be honest. (I'll have to upload a new file/link later if you want to hear changes)

I spent over a month fiddling with reverb and ultimately decided not to use more than is already there because it starts to become overwhelming to listen to. If I was more savvy with the filter effects, I might be able to pull off something more interesting, but I think it will be months down the road before I get a bit more comfortable. It's one of those huge deficits I have, not having a background in electronic sound design/theory.

I'm not trying to "rush" it, per se, but I have 2 other songs at basically the same level of completion and I just started on 2 new ones (hopefully the final two songs of the album.) I'm afraid if I walk away from it too long, I won't feel as passionate about it when I try to finally finish it. Also, I'm not ruling out the idea of maybe coming back to the whole album in a year or two and doing a remix (IF I can figure out how to create the right sounds!) This project started out as an experiment in game music design, but has evolved into something much more focused and personal to me. The problem is, the whole album has a theme (at least in my imagination.) And I would like to be finished by the holidays to start on a new project with a different set of sounds and a different theme. ;)

Anyhow, I GREATLY appreciate the feedback. All of it is helpful, even if I can't implement all of it for this particular song. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day for me. 8-) :)
Yes. I'm not sure why it doesn't work either . . .
I've tried 3 different browsers . . . no dice.
This happens a lot with Gargoyle files.
You might think they could create a simple web-file system which works for everyone . .
Experience shows they can't..
Gargoyle?
This is a .wav file on google drive...
Yes . . . Gargoyle . . .
An affectionate name for an uber-tech data-hoovering outfit based in Mountain View.
(famous for abandoning the motto 'Do No Evil')
Oh.
...OH, I get you! I'm facing the same issue for a lot of (usually) playable files lately, too.
However, it does let me download.
This issue isn't faced by many people, though.
Try using archive.org or a proxy service to play it?