From DARKness to Light (Exploring Gate effect)

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hello, it's a bit experimental about Gate effect, so don't judge the "continuity" of it, but hope that it is a bit original to your ears 8-) . If there is a part that I should develop or revamp, please let me know :idea:

>>> https://audiomack.com/newtoon-1/song/ex ... ss-gate-v3

note : I have no idea of how it works on speakers :roll:
Nice song. I like this song. A song likes this makes your mind sharp.
newtoon wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:47 am
Hello, it's a bit experimental about Gate effect, so don't judge the "continuity" of it, but hope that it is a bit original to your ears 8-) . If there is a part that I should develop or revamp, please let me know :idea:

>>>

note : I have no idea of how it works on speakers :roll:
Okay, I listened to this using speakers.
For an experimental track, this tune is definitely synth filled goodness. I will admit, you definitely put that gate effect, to good use in this track. Not bad at all. I think the transition from 1:19 secs onward is missing something though.
This was pretty cool! So, I know it's experimental, and therefore not polished. I think it would be a really great project for you to continue developing. The very first sound in the intro was awesome! The second sound, which brings to mind a sci-fi laser gun, isn't bad, but maybe a little over-used in the song. You could get away with using it in smaller sequences, keeping it interesting without starting to cause pressure-pain to the eardrums. I like it, but it's too much for too long. Around 1:56 you have this really neat ascending sequence that really starts to go somewhere, moving the piece forward... and then it abruptly ends. I think you should bring it in earlier in the song and develop further from there, honestly.

I got the feeling I was playing a frantic space-based puzzle game when listening to the experimental track. It felt intentionally disorienting at times, as if the music is meant to both confuse and induce a sense of urgency/panic... like I'm running out of time to solve it or find the door. It definitely has potential if you spend more time on it!
Thanks to both of you. Yeah, the ascending sequence leads to something a bit deceptive because I jump back to the previous tune again, but I may rearrange that later on with more experience and letting it rest a bit on the shelves, this is the way I "work"

I guess I will use this gate plugin quite a lot in the future, now that I get a bit more used to it.

thanks again and sorry if I scare you with the monster at the start :mrgreen:
newtoon wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:17 pm
thanks again and sorry if I scare you with the monster at the start :mrgreen:
Lol! :mrgreen:
I listened to this using my speakers as well, and I must admit - for an experimental track it sounded quite good. Can't actually add anything to what's been already said by curiouskitty. For me, it was a nice journey to the old-school space adventure. Good luck with your experimenting, newtoon!
I've never understood what "Gate" does. The "decay" and "gate" knob on any FX, I don't know what they do...? :/
Monospace wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:07 am
I've never understood what "Gate" does. The "decay" and "gate" knob on any FX, I don't know what they do...? :/
They are explained in git-book.
In essence there are two equally strong reasons for using these:
*Reduction of CPU time for processing an effect.
*Avoidance of artefacts in effect processing.
I doubt it is common to actually use decay as it is supposed to be used.
Every effect that is being used, should be 'accessed' for its span, and then the decay-dial ought to have the same span in ms! That way the CPU wont be used after the effect has ceased to be invoked.
The result is saved resources.
Today we have so immense CPU power, that we do not need to use it conservatively, but we ought to!
Gate is also an attempt to reduce CPU-usage, but more in the context of how much output of sound we would allow to occupy CPU-processing : |
A more practical POW would be that Gate settings can reduce clips in the effect attack or release

In gitBook audible output is refereed to as 'noise'
https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/3-navigating-lmms/3.6

A practical example:
Add Plate-reverb to a default 3Oc
Cranck all controls to max
Now set the Gate to 0.07
The Decay to 0
play note
as you release the note there is a snuf in output, and you get an artefact clip
set decay to 2600
press note
Now you get the full effect over max time, but CPU is only used for 2600 ms
Try 2500
That is the sweetspot limit! 2550 would properly be best setting, bit that grained control is not available
Ahh, makes sense. Thanks musikbear!