Trying 4 chords and testing my ears.

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hi Guys

I would like to know if I am in tune ? My ears don't seem to protest, but I need confirmation.

I am not trying to make a track yet, I am experimenting with chords. The 4 most used in popmusic it seems.

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/test
What 4 chords are they then ? (Back in my day it used to be just three, C, F and G7 ;)).

Anyway your test sounds pretty much in tune to me.

Steve
in key and scale. But just use lmms' tool 'mark-current-scale' and you always will be :)
It just may be the single best feature in lmms, when it comes to composing
Thank you guys
I could play the most used chord progression in pop music history—C major, A minor, F major, G major and this will work beautifully, with notes overlapping where possible, as before.
http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1513

Because my ears weren’t trained enough, and my confidence getting a dent, because people told me (and they were right) I was using out of tune notes.

I took for a while the safe way out. If one track started at C, all other tracks did too.

Looking at many examples and midi files, I noticed that the above is true often but not always.

So I did this test. I marked the scale but did not start all the tracks at the same note.
I used my ears to find those other possibilities.

I could prob find a page telling which notes I can use in a certain scale, but wanted to see how far I could get by using my ears.
Mission accomplished. :D

It funny, my ears don't like me to combine certain notes, even if both are in the same scale.

In the example both do start at the same key though. ( C3 and C4 )
I have been doing a lot of this stuff recently. ( also doing chord progressions, and I think you do need you're ears for that to find those nice combinations)
One simple trick is to have the tracks starting on one of the notes out of the starting chord. So if you have a C chord playing then any of C, E, G will work with it. When you get to A minor then A, C, E are favourite etc.

You can use the same trick in reverse to work out what chord will work under a melody. Look what notes you've got in a measure then find a chord that includes most of them. Cheesy but it gives you a starting point.

Steve
Wow!
Sounding nice so far.
What a nice short music track.
It sounds like a soundtrack, from a Japanese type adventure game.
And has an asian sounding theme to it.

So far, after listening to it a few times, I would definitely say you are in tune. :)
slipstick wrote:One simple trick is to have the tracks starting on one of the notes out of the starting chord. So if you have a C chord playing then any of C, E, G will work with it. When you get to A minor then A, C, E are favourite etc.

You can use the same trick in reverse to work out what chord will work under a melody. Look what notes you've got in a measure then find a chord that includes most of them. Cheesy but it gives you a starting point.

Steve
Thank you, I was hoping there was a "trick" for this. :)
brandystarbrite wrote:Wow!
Sounding nice so far.
What a nice short music track.
It sounds like a soundtrack, from a Japanese type adventure game.
And has an asian sounding theme to it.

So far, after listening to it a few times, I would definitely say you are in tune. :)
Thank you too.

I have read a lot of music theory, but only now I am starting to see the light, on how to apply all that.