Can I do this ?

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
I have stepped out of my comfort zone. I always use some "tricks" to stay in tune, but at least for one track in the below short piece, I abandoned those rules a bit.

What I did is while working on a song, was trying to do some improvisation, so I played life over the already existing part, and recorded it.

I can't play well, so I had to fix stuff. I am not happy about the timing of all notes yet, but for now the only important question is, am I in tune?
Or did I create bum notes?

Of course I used the mark current scale tool, and if I only consider that every note is in tune.
When I listen to it though, I start to wonder, so I decided to ask you guys.
Slowed it down to 100 bpm to make it easier to hear mistakes.

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/test-04
Most of it is in tune :)

I like how the bass went up at 0:28.
I didn't notice any obvious out-of-tune notes.
Thank you guys.

I should prob do stuff like this more often. It has to do with me starting serious with lmms, and people asking if I was tonedeaf.
(prob about two years ago)

These days even without the mark current scale tool, I pick out the notes which are not on the blue lines by ear.
Still some of this is not easy for me, because you can have notes in scale that still don't sound great together.
(not in a single track, but when you have more then one track it gets more tricky)

I do feel however that if I want to get better, I do need to step out of my comfort zone, and try to depend less on the mark current scale tool.
I can always check after-wards if I am doing it right.
Yes to some extent you need to worry about how things harmonise not JUST staying in scale. E.g. if you're playing in C major and you play a C chord (C,E,G) then trying a melody with B and F isn't going to sound too good (unless you want that harsh clashing sound for the feel of it or to make a point)...but they're both in key.

But all the greatest composers in the last few hundred years used notes that weren't "on the blue lines". In music theory they're called "accidentals" and quite often they're what makes the tune more interesting. Trust your ears !

Steve
Of course I used the mark current scale tool, and if I only consider that every note is in tune.
Bang! you got it :P
What 'Steve says is dam important! Its that 'clash' of harmonics that so often lead me to ask "Was that intentional? ", when i make comment on our sc grp.

The most important Steve said is however
"Trust your ears"
Thank you steve and musicbear.

When I listen to the link I posted, my ears are not happy. That was exactly why I posted this.

The things that confused me, is that I only used Zynadd subfx, and I knew all was in tune. ( or maybe its better to say, all is in the same scale)
(because it does not feel like its in tune)

I am very happy, another step forward. :)

@steve, I have been using you're chord trick already. In the piano roll I add a chord, and then know at which three keys I can start a second or third track.
I have had however, already situations, were my ears were not happy with this method. ( 95% of the time it works great though)

@musicbear. This has been bugging me for some time. Two presets that are in the same scale still can sound not nice together. My ears already told me so.
The change of me having deliberate clashing is zero to none, unless I state it in my post.
I was experimenting, but my ears protested. To be sure, I asked feedback on this forum.

That's because only two years ago I was some what tone-deaf. There are however two types of tone deaf. One can be solved by training.
If you have the other one , you're screwed if you want to make music, but from what I read on the net, then you wont be able to listen to music either.
Music wont sound like music to you, but only as noise.

As slipstick and music bear have said, not just in this topic, you can use out of scale notes, but for people starting with making music, its better to not try this.

There are rules in music, but there are no laws so to say. In the end you need to use you're ears if it sounds nice.
If an out of scale note sounds nice, you can use it. The piece I posted has both. Out of scale notes, with which I can get away with, and out of scale notes that make us twitch, shiver.
If you listen to the first 10 seconds or so. The first three slow notes are in scale, the next three are not. The other tracks go down in pitch, but the slow notes don't. This gives as slipstick called it "accidentals".

This was exactly what confuse me though. I knew I had out of scale notes, but my ears don't protest by all of them.
The second three slow notes have this effect, they are definitely out of scale, but it gives a interesting effect.
At 20 seconds or so, the shit hits the fan, and my ears start to protest.
That why both slipstick and music bear said trust you're ears.

For those that don't hear any out of tune notes in the piece I posted, don't panic.
In my previous reply I am mentioning the slow notes being out of scale.
What I meant to say was, that they create a clash' of harmonics. They all are in scale.

Some of this clashing can be fun.
I agree. But the clashing can be difficult when it comes to distortion and tuning notes.