NEW song: Before the Battle. Epic soundtrack in LMMS.

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hey everyone. finally finished my latest soundtrack. I think it probably fits in the "epic music" genre. If you haven't heard of that genre before, go check out Two Steps from Hell https://www.youtube.com/user/TwoStepsFromTheMusic - the PERFECT example of what epic music is.

The SoundCloud version: https://soundcloud.com/gideonstephen/gi ... the-battle
The Youtube version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNE8Du ... e=youtu.be
Check out both so you can admire the artwork. ;)
And don't forget to leave a like or comment... or even subscribe/follow - I do follow/sub back. :D

This was made totally in LMMS using around 10 tracks of these native instruments:
Triple Oscillator
LB302
Kicker
ZynAddSubfx

And around 20 tracks using these sound libraries:
Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra
...some string and percussion samples from some composer who gives them away for free.

There was some clipping occurring on the first version of this song, so I tried to fix the problem. Let me know if you notice anything that doesn't sound right.
I'm currently working on an EP of around 6 tracks. It's taking a while because each track has to be high quality, and not every song I make for it will be used. If any of you want to collaborate for one of the songs, just PM me. All of the tracks will be epic music or orchestral.
Also, notice I rebranded and got rid of 1azer Music. It just sounded silly. :lol: I now just go by my name.
Very nice! This would work well in The Lord of the Rings or a video game like The Witcher. I gotta say, im genuinely impressed with your sound design, this track sounds very deep, your percussion is grandiose and your strings and pads are mixed very nicely. Question, did you mix this for a home theater set up? I listened to it over my bose 5.1 surround and noticed you had a nice field of depth (if that makes sense, I don't know how to explain that any better).

Because most movies are mixed to 5.1 and this is a soundtrack, you could feed various elements to the surround channels and center by splitting the frequencies and instruments using eq, side chains, gates, etc. You could Pan the L and R out very slightly to get the load away from the Center channel a bit and level the Ls Rs to taste. You might consider a slight reverb on the LsRs (proceed with caution without 5.1 monitoring) and also, the widener fx is a very quick, dirty and easy tool for surround mixing.

If you dont know as well,
L = (Front) Left
Lc = Left Center
C = Center
Rc = Right Center
R = (Front) Right
Lm = Left Mid
Rm = Right Mid
Ls = Left Surround (Rear Left)
S = Surround (Rear Center)
Rs = Right Surround (Rear Right)
LFE = Low Frequency Effects

Very nice work. You should be contacting small film and animation studios or videogame developers and try and get yourself on contract. :)
Ummmm... I wish I did have a home theatre setup to mix my songs. To be totally honest, I mixed the song on nothing but $5 Samsung earbuds - no joke! :D I do know about 5.1 channel surround sound, but I didn't know that movie soundtracks are mixed like that. Now that I know, I'll try to optimize my next songs for 5.1 channel surround sound. I think I should actually try contacting small film, animation and video game companies. Thanks for your post, I actually learned something new about 5.1 channel surround sound. You can laugh at me, I knew about the term but had no idea what it even was... :lol:
Cubbyk wrote:Very nice! This would work well in The Lord of the Rings or a video game like The Witcher. I gotta say, im genuinely impressed with your sound design, this track sounds very deep, your percussion is grandiose and your strings and pads are mixed very nicely. Question, did you mix this for a home theater set up? I listened to it over my bose 5.1 surround and noticed you had a nice field of depth (if that makes sense, I don't know how to explain that any better).

Because most movies are mixed to 5.1 and this is a soundtrack, you could feed various elements to the surround channels and center by splitting the frequencies and instruments using eq, side chains, gates, etc. You could Pan the L and R out very slightly to get the load away from the Center channel a bit and level the Ls Rs to taste. You might consider a slight reverb on the LsRs (proceed with caution without 5.1 monitoring) and also, the widener fx is a very quick, dirty and easy tool for surround mixing.

If you dont know as well,
L = (Front) Left
Lc = Left Center
C = Center
Rc = Right Center
R = (Front) Right
Lm = Left Mid
Rm = Right Mid
Ls = Left Surround (Rear Left)
S = Surround (Rear Center)
Rs = Right Surround (Rear Right)
LFE = Low Frequency Effects

Very nice work. You should be contacting small film and animation studios or videogame developers and try and get yourself on contract. :)
Ummmm... I wish I did have a home theatre setup to mix my songs. To be totally honest, I mixed the song on nothing but $5 Samsung earbuds - no joke! :D I do know about 5.1 channel surround sound, but I didn't know that movie soundtracks are mixed like that. Now that I know, I'll try to optimize my next songs for 5.1 channel surround sound. I think I should actually try contacting small film, animation and video game companies. Thanks for your post, I actually learned something new about 5.1 channel surround sound. You can laugh at me, I knew about the term but had no idea what it even was... :lol:
No worries! Happy to help!!! Most people seem to only mix for the listening medium they used while mixing which is why certain songs sound great over headphones but trash over a stereo or through laptop or a phone speaker.

Also for 5.1 and film music, are you familiar with Hans Zimmer's work or Jerry Goldsmith's work? They are both well worth studying, not just from a soundtrack standpoint but from a sound design standpoint aswell.

You know how anytime in the movie alien, when theres a tense moment, there is a slow build up of subbass, and then dissonance that slowly pans from rear to front in time with the rising action on screen? You would assume atmospheric effects like that are more the films audio department's responsibility then the soundtrack composer, i know i thought so, but this is not true.

5.1 just isnt really something that comes to mind much but just watch any movie in a theater and pay conscious attention to the sound track and you'll be suprised.
Cubbyk wrote: No worries! Happy to help!!! Most people seem to only mix for the listening medium they used while mixing which is why certain songs sound great over headphones but trash over a stereo or through laptop or a phone speaker.

Also for 5.1 and film music, are you familiar with Hans Zimmer's work or Jerry Goldsmith's work? They are both well worth studying, not just from a soundtrack standpoint but from a sound design standpoint aswell.

You know how anytime in the movie alien, when theres a tense moment, there is a slow build up of subbass, and then dissonance that slowly pans from rear to front in time with the rising action on screen? You would assume atmospheric effects like that are more the films audio department's responsibility then the soundtrack composer, i know i thought so, but this is not true.

5.1 just isnt really something that comes to mind much but just watch any movie in a theater and pay conscious attention to the sound track and you'll be suprised.
Yes, I'm familiar with Hans Zimmer's work, but not Jerry Goldsmith. I'll have to look Jerry up. I like listening to composer's works like Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Harry-Gregson Williams etc. to analyze how they make their tracks. I listen to the same track on loop a few dozen times and try to pick out all the different parts, how it was mixed etc. All composers have their own unique style which is good, and I'm trying to be unique too. It gets boring when all composers start to sound the same.
Epic soundtrack dude!
This would fit in well, in a video game, or movie, or probably a video game movie.
Metal Gear Solid needs this track. 8-)