TRouble making it sound professional

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
hey, i have been using lmms for about 3 weeks now and ive gotten pretty good. the problem im having is that it all sounds pretty bland and the melodies are alright i guess. i also dont have a very good set of instruments or how to build a very good set of layers in the song. eventually i want to do trance, house music, and dubstep. also, does lmms have a graphic equalizer?
i also dont have a very good set of instruments
The zynAddSubFX presets are quite good, and lmms can use vst
follow these instructions:
http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index. ... _with_VSTs

..also many many tuts on instruments and how to add effects like reverb delays aso. on youTube -just search 'lmms tutorial'
does lmms have a graphic equalizer?
not as a singel component, but load any EQ together with the 'Spectrum Analyzer' that you find in your default FX LADSPA collection. If you arent satisfied with that, you can load a vsts based EQ, just copy the dll to the LADSPA folder you have assigned in your setup

br.
thalion777 wrote:the problem im having is that it all sounds pretty bland and the melodies are alright i guess. i also dont have a very good set of instruments or how to build a very good set of layers in the song.
These things are all things that mostly depend on you. A DAW usually doesn't come with any melodies prebuilt, and sounds are usually better to make yourself (although yeah, the ZynAddSubFX presets are nearly as good as the synth itself).
musikbear wrote:
does lmms have a graphic equalizer?
not as a singel component, but load any EQ together with the 'Spectrum Analyzer' that you find in your default FX LADSPA collection. If you arent satisfied with that, you can load a vsts based EQ, just copy the dll to the LADSPA folder you have assigned in your setup
br.
Do you happen to recommend any VST EQs? Because the default LADSPA EQ doesn't really force the sound enough, you can't really make any kind of fine-controlled sharp edge like you often need when separating bass and kick, and using filters is unreliable because the plugin filters are very low resolution at those frequencies (0-56-94-150 Hz or something like that for the GLAME plugins, while usually you want to do some magic between 60 and 80 Hz).
Sure you can increase or decrease a region, but the area of effect is always far too large and the effect itself too weak.
The KARMA EQ is quite good, but unfortunately there are problems with crashes with the current 0.13 lmms version, caused by the horrid recovery-file issue.
I sensirely hope recovery will be optional in next release..
musikbear wrote:The KARMA EQ is quite good, but unfortunately there are problems with crashes with the current 0.13 lmms version, caused by the horrid recovery-file issue.
I sensirely hope recovery will be optional in next release..
I could comment it out if you really want to, although you'd have to compile it.
I could comment it out if you really want to, although you'd have to compile it.
Thanks, but im sure it will be optional in one upcoming release. It is a confirmed crashbug, and must be adressed. I btw do not have compilation posiblities.. i believe it is just around 2 gigs of libraries needed to compile, and i do not have caps to that at all

Br.