Hi there

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
I make some music just for fun, and suddenly it gets some positive feedback. So I'm looking for new friends to improve my skills and share my skills with others (not only with lmms). In particullary I'd like to learn more about mastering (using open source software). Genre is somewhere about downtempo http://soundcloud.com/ross-box Everybody is welcome.
Wooah! :) Nice music you made there rossbox. Even though it's not my style in music, I really like it and I really appreciate the great songs you created and put together. :mrgreen: Keep up the good work rossbox. :D

Thank you very much. If you have SC account, let's be friends there.
Those songs are pretty good, I've been meaning to try to make stuff in that genre for ages now.
Would it be possible to have a look at your sample lib? What kind of samples do you use? That's the part I'm having trouble with, finding good samples and choosing them.

About the mastering, it is a bit annoying but still possible in LMMS. Basically the first thing you do is attach a "Spectrum Analyser" effect on the master channel, so you can see the frequency spectrum and where it gets too loud.
Then, you can either use the 10/12-band eqs of TAP or LDSPA (which are both in effects), or filters (low-, high- and bandpasses work well, notch occasionally, use 0 res. on low and highpasses).
The goal is that no frequencies become too loud at any point in time (ie. Go over the 0 db line) and also that instruments you want to contrast be isolated.
You can also brighten stuff up by boosting high frequencies, but usually the problematic places (at least for me) are between 50 and 200 Hz (the bass and the kick).
Oh, awesome piece of advice. Thank you very much.
About samples. I use these drum samples http://kore.noisepages.com/2008/12/01/f ... r-kontakt/ , some SF2 fonts as 65.8mg Music Man Gm Gs V1.0 Bank and others similar. Also there is some noname sample pack with kicks and snares, I don't know where I found it. And I use a huge variety of samples from freesound e. g. radio glitches, talking, street ambiences.
Really, I think that samples are not so important. To avoid that "plastic" sound I add some tiny reverb, sometimes tiny phaser lfo, and make every note a bit louder or quiter. It makes every sound in pattern be a little different. In real life there aren't identical sounds, are they?
rossbox wrote:Oh, awesome piece of advice. Thank you very much.
About samples. I use these drum samples http://kore.noisepages.com/2008/12/01/f ... r-kontakt/ , some SF2 fonts as 65.8mg Music Man Gm Gs V1.0 Bank and others similar. Also there is some noname sample pack with kicks and snares, I don't know where I found it. And I use a huge variety of samples from freesound e. g. radio glitches, talking, street ambiences.
Really, I think that samples are not so important. To avoid that "plastic" sound I add some tiny reverb, sometimes tiny phaser lfo, and make every note a bit louder or quiter. It makes every sound in pattern be a little different. In real life there aren't identical sounds, are they?
No, you're right. Also, thanks for the links, although I have enough drum samples, I'm mostly searching ambiences. Hmm.

I really admire this piece
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjRxJFthqDM
and I'm still trying to figure out all the details.
Your music reminds me of this style, just a little different.
That's why I asked. :P
Oh, you are talking about ambiences. Didn't get it.
zynaddsubfx is awesome. Also for smooth ambient sound I put huge reverb, feedback, phaser lfo and volume lfo on ordinary sounds like cowbell or even simple tripleoscillator sample . It makes sense sometimes.

Re:

rossbox wrote:Thank you very much. If you have SC account, let's be friends there.
Wooah! I learned alot from your conversation. :o

Anyways. I'm still learning LMMS, just like alot of people. Your music is really nice. I mean it. :D And I'll make a SC account as soon as possible. :mrgreen:
rossbox wrote:Oh, you are talking about ambiences. Didn't get it.
zynaddsubfx is awesome. Also for smooth ambient sound I put huge reverb, feedback, phaser lfo and volume lfo on ordinary sounds like cowbell or even simple tripleoscillator sample . It makes sense sometimes.
Feedback and volume LFO? Didn't think of those...ok, thanks.

What is SC?
orpheon7 wrote:What is SC?
Soundcloud