Very new wip from a noob

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
This is something that I've only just started working on. It is probably too early to be asking for opinions, but here it is anyway. Don't expect too much though...

So, some questions:

Are the robot-ish sounds okay, or do you think they need to go?

What can I do to make the beat sound better? I was trying to make it sound like it was pulsing and alive. Idk why, but there was more of that deep bass and reverb in it before I uploaded it to soundcloud. Now it sounds kind of flat. Maybe it is just me.

And, what do you guys think of it so far?

For some melodies, I was thinking of adding quiet crystal bells with reverb, and maybe some tweaks to try making it sound a bit more hollow and wintery.
The bass at 0:16 and other places is absolutely awesome. Can you upload the sample/synth please?

For beats, what always helps is less periodicity. In other words, make it loop less obviously. You can even keep the same structure repeating over and over again, but make slight changes here and there, kick hits twice instead of once, or misses out a beat, or some cymbal does something, etc...
The one I was trying to use for robot sounds? I didn't make it. It came with LMMS. Not absolutely sure, but I think it is "0114-Overdrive 3.xiz" under ZynAddSubFX - Collections - WillGodfrey.

I just uploaded a different version to soundcloud, and changed the link in my first post to go to it instead. There are a few small differences, but they aren't really noticeable.
Wow! From what I've heard so far this song is pretty neat. I love the sound effects too.
but there was more of that deep bass and reverb in it before I uploaded it to soundcloud. Now it sounds kind of flat. Maybe it is just me.
Yeah. Somehow I guessed that originally, there was more bass and depth in your song. I noticed that sometimes when people upload songs, onto youtube, sound cloud, or similiar sites etc. The Sound quality drops etc. Or the effects don't seem to come out sounding right. Or you "literally" don't hear any sound effects. :shock:
Another option I learned from some Lmms users, is to turn on "HQ" in settings. Restart Lmms, then render out your song. Don't know if that would help though. Or probably you did that already. If you haven't done that, try it, upload it back on sound cloud and see what happens.
By the way, as I said before, very Cool song. 8-)
Thank you. :)
dotsnspots wrote:So, some questions:

Are the robot-ish sounds okay, or do you think they need to go?
I think they're pretty cool, actually. I didn't even think "robot" when I heard them; they blend nicely into the other things you've got going on here.
dotsnspots wrote:What can I do to make the beat sound better? I was trying to make it sound like it was pulsing and alive. Idk why, but there was more of that deep bass and reverb in it before I uploaded it to soundcloud. Now it sounds kind of flat. Maybe it is just me.
Actually, I think the beat is pretty cool. (Granted I know nothing about this style of music but it sounded good to me :) ). I don't think it's "just you" either - I posted a beat earlier tonight and it sounded way louder on sound cloud than on LMMS (all instruments except for like one or two were at 50% volume). So I'm thinking it has something to do wither with how LMMS exports or how sound cloud imports... not sure.
dotsnspots wrote:And, what do you guys think of it so far?

For some melodies, I was thinking of adding quiet crystal bells with reverb, and maybe some tweaks to try making it sound a bit more hollow and wintery.
Again, I'm not real familiar with this kind of music (is it "techno", or is that word offensive to the style and way outdated? Sorry if that is the case, LOL), but it sounded good to me.I like your idea for the melody, but even as-is it's got a lot going on. The effects were cool too. :)
Thank you. :)

Yeah, I tried orpheon7's advice and tried to blur where the beat starts and ends a little bit. The beat sounds better than it did before. (thanks orpheon7 :))

And I have no idea what kind of music it is considered either. Normally I try to make instrumental music with a little bit of electronic stuff mixed in.