question of mixing?

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Whenever I combine some drums with my melodies I am left with the impression that the two don’t have a lot in common besides beat and measure. It sounds like two different things happening at the same time, here is the melody, there is the rhythm part.
In well-done songs the drums are much more integrated into the whole song giving something I would call a homogeneous sound.
Anyone knows how to reach such a homogeneous sound?
Anyone at least understands what I mean?
I think I understand. But could you give us a little more inside info.
eg. Put part of your song on "SoundCloud," and provide a link, so we could hear it and understand the problem you're having.
That way, I'll be be able to give you some advice.

Try adding reverb, on your drums. But I can't say much, until I get more info from you, or at least hear part of your tune.
I'll respond as soon as you answer etc. :)
You can have more control over timing and even give a little bit of off-beat shuffle of sorts by editing drums using the piano-roll (even available within beat-bassline) but it tends to be trickier. When it's done well it's worth the result. Also opens up the pitch of a drum to editing, which is neat for toms or timpanis.

Somebody else can probably explain in more detail, but at least that's one option available.
brandystarbrite wrote:I think I understand. But could you give us a little more inside info.
eg. Put part of your song on "SoundCloud," and provide a link, so we could hear it and understand the problem you're having.
That way, I'll be be able to give you some advice.

Try adding reverb, on your drums. But I can't say much, until I get more info from you, or at least hear part of your tune.
I'll respond as soon as you answer etc. :)
Thanks for your answer, brandy!
I will try to figure out how to post part of my music. Meanwhile, the nightmare song by konemo can exemplify what I mean.
pauljs75 wrote:You can have more control over timing and even give a little bit of off-beat shuffle of sorts by editing drums using the piano-roll (even available within beat-bassline) but it tends to be trickier. When it's done well it's worth the result. Also opens up the pitch of a drum to editing, which is neat for toms or timpanis.

Somebody else can probably explain in more detail, but at least that's one option available.
Thank you, paul, if I understand correctly you mean that the pitch of a drum can make it fit better to the melody?
I will play around with the piano roll, maybe I will can improve something.
understand correctly you mean that the pitch of a drum can make it fit better to the melody?
njeaj.. its more the concept of whilting
In the B&Beditor you drop in sound events for every 1/16 -period!
In the piano-roll you can place events with a precission of 1/192 !!!
In good drumlines the events are not dead on 1/16, you get better results if you ever so slightly shift the events in timing
"Whilting" is placement of esspecially hats-events by 1/64, and that is very common in dance and trance percussion

B.r.
njeaj.. its more the concept of whilting
Whilting? I think this is the first time, I've heard of that. :o
And it's used in Trance Percussions? Wow!
I gotta look this up!

Thanks for the tip musikbears. :)