Promenade Arrangement

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hey all,

I arranged the first movement of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Promenade. Let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/nesdood007/pictu ... rrangement
We see classical music too rarely, here
I actually manhandled Wagner in a abusive and highly un-wearthy way, only yesterday, kind of by chance i played a couple of notes, and then i just took the theme from there
Pending lawsuit from beyreut.. :P
Jokes aside-
I wonder if you used a midi-file, or if you played from sheet?
I like most of your arrangement, but it is also with a couple of instruments, i do not like so much, (@0:44) -but that just imo

Besides that, it look like you did not get our proper greets with all the goodie links
Welcome to the forum Nesdood007! Here are all our important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
Thanks for the welcome! I transcribed sheet music of Promenade for Piano.
musikbear wrote:We see classical music too rarely, here
Classical music ought to be played by live instruments I believe. Surely a masterful producer can craft an amazing classical piece using just soundfonts and such, but the beauty in such music comes from the unique laughter of an instrument tickled by crafty hands.
Have to agree with musikbear, that phased bassy thing at around 0:40 just stands out for all the wrong reasons.
Really liked those subtle bells, but I always like some bells :)
chestnutjam wrote:
musikbear wrote:We see classical music too rarely, here
Classical music ought to be played by live instruments I believe. Surely a masterful producer can craft an amazing classical piece using just soundfonts and such, but the beauty in such music comes from the unique laughter of an instrument tickled by crafty hands.
Hmmm... Taken to the logical conclusion this means that, some very hardcore reconstructionists aside, nobody plays classical music the way it was meant to.

Four Seasons? In a modern performance, there's a harpsichord (mixing keyboards and bowed strings was a big no-no back then,) double bass (not invented yet) the tuning is all wrong, the technique is all off (the way a violin was supposed to be played back then would now seem harsh and folksy, and modern technique would seem to Vivaldi like something a novice not quite trusting his ears and fingers would do.)

Overture of 1812? Back then they never quite figured out how to fire cannons exactly on the beat, so it was ignored. Actually firing the things is very much a modern thing. (Not to mention almost PoMo cultural re-interpretation the piece underwent.)

ADD: Beethoven's Ninth? One of the first pieces to indicate exact BPMs on the sheet music. Those BPMs are mostly ignored nowadays.

Great timeless classical pieces needed to change with the times to stay timeless before. If we could add two entire new instruments and a host of other innovations to Vivaldi, why not play Mussorgsky on soft synths? (although, he himself would have been probably not a big fan of the idea.)

Or, less radically, as with everything else with music, we need a balance of familiarity and innovation in playing and playing with classics. There ought to be some fidelity to the original (or else why not just compose a new piece) but there must be novelty too (or else we could just play a recording by some classical titan made 40 years ago over and over.)
Nesdood007 wrote: I transcribed sheet music of Promenade for Piano.
VERY well done!
Oh yeah! This is nice. Lovely. :)
Love all of the sounds used in this.

Am I the only one who thinks, that the catty meowy phasey sound, heard from 40 secs and 44 secs onward
strangely sounds nice in this and fits in well? :)
I find it makes this track, sound a bit Christmassy. :D

Nice work Nesdood007. :D
ac220 wrote:Hmmm... Taken to the logical conclusion this means that, some very hardcore reconstructionists aside, nobody plays classical music the way it was meant to. Four Seasons? In a modern performance, there's a harpsichord (mixing keyboards and bowed strings was a big no-no back then,) double bass (not invented yet) the tuning is all wrong, the technique is all off (the way a violin was supposed to be played back then would now seem harsh and folksy, and modern technique would seem to Vivaldi like something a novice not quite trusting his ears and fingers would do.) Overture of 1812? Back then they never quite figured out how to fire cannons exactly on the beat, so it was ignored. Actually firing the things is very much a modern thing. (Not to mention almost PoMo cultural re-interpretation the piece underwent.) ADD: Beethoven's Ninth? One of the first pieces to indicate exact BPMs on the sheet music. Those BPMs are mostly ignored nowadays. Great timeless classical pieces needed to change with the times to stay timeless before. If we could add two entire new instruments and a host of other innovations to Vivaldi, why not play Mussorgsky on soft synths? (although, he himself would have been probably not a big fan of the idea.) Or, less radically, as with everything else with music, we need a balance of familiarity and innovation in playing and playing with classics. There ought to be some fidelity to the original (or else why not just compose a new piece) but there must be novelty too (or else we could just play a recording by some classical titan made 40 years ago over and over.)

Holy shit I'm in the wrong place.
chestnutjam wrote:
Holy shit I'm in the wrong place.
Oops... Sorry. I tend to get carried away a lot, and this whole subject of people's attitudes towards classical music is just such a nice topic to get carried away about I couldn't resist.