5megapixel - Pixel Paradise

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hello. My name's 5megapixel and I've been playing around with LMMS in my spare time for a bit over two years now. Recently i've been trying to learn more about proper mastering and mixing, so any advice and suggestions about how to get a better sound would be helpful. Anyway, here's the song. I guess it could be described as jazz-pop with elements of 8-bit video game inspired music. Enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/5megapixel/pixel-paradise
Wow! Nice organ. Nice song.
Very 8 bitty indeed. Lol!
You blended in the 8 Bitty melody, with the other instruments, very well.
Nice composition and melody.
I like it. :mrgreen:
Welcome to the forums.

Hmmm... I would actually say the opposite; that the 8bit leads are overpowering everything else. it seems like your leads are a bit too loud and mid-heavy. It makes it hard to hear what's going on in the background, especially near the end when the choir{?} sound comes in. You might want to scoop the mids on that, or just turn it down or choose a different duty cycle if you are using Freeboy.

You need to spread your frequencies around a little bit so the instruments aren't getting in the way of each other. At least, that's what I'm hearing with my headphones. Are you using the Freeboy plugin to get your 8bit sounds, or just the 3xOSC? Your bass sounds cool. Very NES-like. Are you using a triangle or sine wave? I can't tell, but either way it sounds good.

As far as composition, the song has a nice vibe, but it was a bit too repetitive. The melody needs to be a bit more "jazz" than "pop", with more variation at SOME point in the song. It lacks soul. Well, that's just my opinion. It's fine for video game background music or something, but I wouldn't listen to it over and over again on it's own.

Nice chord progressions and drums, though. Keep it up.

BTW, If you ever did want to make an authentic NES-like sound, the the stock 2A03 soundchip contained 2 square/pulse channels with the ability to choose between 4 duty cycles: 12.5%, 25%, 50%, and 75%, a triangle channel which can go an octave lower than the pulse channels, a sample channel, and a noise channel. There are also expansion chips that add more channels and more variety of waveforms, but the 2A03 is the basic soundchip that most people are familiar with.
sketchman3 wrote:Welcome to the forums.

Hmmm... I would actually say the opposite; that the 8bit leads are overpowering everything else. it seems like your leads are a bit too loud and mid-heavy. It makes it hard to hear what's going on in the background, especially near the end when the choir{?} sound comes in. You might want to scoop the mids on that, or just turn it down or choose a different duty cycle if you are using Freeboy.

You need to spread your frequencies around a little bit so the instruments aren't getting in the way of each other. At least, that's what I'm hearing with my headphones. Are you using the Freeboy plugin to get your 8bit sounds, or just the 3xOSC? Your bass sounds cool. Very NES-like. Are you using a triangle or sine wave? I can't tell, but either way it sounds good.

As far as composition, the song has a nice vibe, but it was a bit too repetitive. The melody needs to be a bit more "jazz" than "pop", with more variation at SOME point in the song. It lacks soul. Well, that's just my opinion. It's fine for video game background music or something, but I wouldn't listen to it over and over again on it's own.

Nice chord progressions and drums, though. Keep it up.

BTW, If you ever did want to make an authentic NES-like sound, the the stock 2A03 soundchip contained 2 square/pulse channels with the ability to choose between 4 duty cycles: 12.5%, 25%, 50%, and 75%, a triangle channel which can go an octave lower than the pulse channels, a sample channel, and a noise channel. There are also expansion chips that add more channels and more variety of waveforms, but the 2A03 is the basic soundchip that most people are familiar with.
Thanks, after I released it I listened to it on good speakers and I did realise that that the 8-bit leads were a bit overpowering, and there are some frequency clashes particularly between the 8-bit leads and the violin melody. By the way I used Bit Invader for the 8-bit leads and the bass, and the bass is a triangle wave.

Anyway, thanks for the advice!