Triplets

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I am having issues figuring out triplets.

Is this right ?

https://imgur.com/a/55ojihH
Gps wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:38 pm
I am having issues figuring out triplets.

Is this right ?

'Normally' when triplets are mentioned, it understood as 1/16 triplets.
Either as spacing between notes or actual notes
Lmms makes it very easy, because 1/24 IS that 1/16 triplet!
In general triplets is written <note>T so 1/24 could be written 1/16T
These are Triplets

Code: Select all

Triplet:      1/32T, 1/16T, 1/8T, 1/4T  1/2T
Piano-roll :  1/48,  1/24,  1/12, 1/6   1/3
Thank you.

Maybe I am just overthinking it. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmF_jeokUX8

1m36

I want that in my fade to grey cover. Its a fight and made me wonder about triplets, but , now I don't think that's the answer.

Already got some help from Linux musicians forum on what notes are played, but I have not figured out the right pattern, nor the right spacing of the notes.

I know its possible though because there is a vid were he does it live in his fade to grey performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4qfK667ziQ
at 1min14 sec :P

A picture of the fight. Which seems to be 8 notes repeating confirming what I hear when slowing it down allot in vlc.

Gps wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:01 pm
1m36
I want that in my fade to grey cover.
Wow- You just made me listen to this classic, but in a completely new way, i have never 'heard' that part, in that detail

Its a fight and made me wonder about triplets, but , now I don't think that's the answer.
Right it is not. Arpeggio I believe is the answer!
What you have from right hand is a classic arpeggio with an (i believe its called) first-note intonation , meaning that 1. note is with higher velocity that the other notes in the arp.
I am also almost sure its the Alberti-arp, Mozart's std arp :p
Its not an arp you can create with lmms-arpeggio, you ned to make it pr. note as an underlying bass, because that is what it actually is - a 'bass', but on higher octaves!
Alberti takes the note you would hit as bass on a piano, that would fit the melody-notes, but then it spreads that note over a suitable chord!
So suppose we have the bass-note C, with one bar length, then Alberti would spread that C over a CMaj chord (c,g,e), in the alberti-pattern.
Alberti pattern is: LOW HiGH MEDIUM HIGH
So now you would have
* first beat c
* second e
* third g
* fourth e
For that one bar
But in 'Fade-to' he uses alberti in beat-length, so in each beat the 4 ticks would go: c e g e, for as many bars that would fit the current melody-notes played with left hand
In each cycle the 'c' is then played with ~double velocity than e, g, e -That is the intonation in the pattern, and it is cleverly in harmony with the melody-notes, and gives a great effect!
Brilliant composed !
Thank you, and that part is not in the fade to grey, that hit the charts. :)

Chris Payne explaining, and telling the minimoog was missing, so he had to use a polymoog, is what got me using zasfx, and trying the brass presets. :P

And how somebody of U2 tried to do this bassline, but failed and they ended up with new years day. :P

I will try the arpeggio you suggested, and google Alberti arp. :D

It's funny how this part keeps confusing me when I try to count along. It feels like two parts, and you kinda confirmed this.
The left and right hand.

You might have also answered another problem I have. Although I know I don´t have perfect pitch, I do have some relative pitch.
Still until now I can´t seem to find the right notes, but now you talking about a bassline, might do it.
It might start with two notes played together. A bassnote and a melody note.

It's been something I was wondering about, because when I just go down the minor scale, I can't get the same sound.
I also think my relative pitch is good enough to hear if I am doing the same or something different.
Been messing around in LMMS and made the Alberti "bassline" (c e g e)

Fitting it into one beat, might have helped me too.

The Quantisation in the piano roll needs to be at 1/32 at least, but for now I stick to 1/32.

I also inverted the Alberti part.

Interesting.

I could use that for an EDM track :P Doubt I would be the first.

I might be on to something, when I listen at 40% speed in sonic visualizer at what Chris Payne does in the youtube vid.
The graph sonic visualizer shows is only confusing me, so I started to ignore that.
Also lowered the bpm in LMMS and made it match.

There is this up down up down pattern were I go one two, one two, one two, fast.
But then there is this melody.
I am tempted to call it off beat, were I go 1,2,3,4, 1,2,3,4 This 1,2,3,4 is slower then the one two part.

Notes or a chord going down in the 1,2,3,4 sequence.

Or are the chords doing the Alberti pattern ? :P

Here I was attempting to cover a classic electronic hit, and now I am head deep into classical stuff.
Somebody on the Linux musicians forum made this for me. 8-)

https://diode.zone/videos/watch/3c5987b ... f4ad130e4b

This is what I was looking for.
Gps wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:29 pm
I also inverted the Alberti part. Interesting.
I could use that for an EDM track :P Doubt I would be the first.
You would NOT be ;P
Or are the chords doing the Alberti pattern ? :P
That is what i called the clever thing, to me it sounds like that one note with high velosity, 'doubles' up as taking part in the melody as well
Here I was attempting to cover a classic electronic hit, and now I am head deep into classical stuff.
Wits simply just tie a beautiful bow around music!
Gps wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:43 pm
Somebody on the Linux musicians forum made this for me. 8-)

https://diode.zone/videos/watch/3c5987b ... f4ad130e4b

This is what I was looking for.
WOW!! That is great stuff
Everything is there, and it seams i heard it wrong, He uses diader in fast succession. It sound really good!
So only two notes simultaneous (diade). It is actually so nice that i will try to make a pattern. There are som clever peeps on that linux.musician forum!