track, midi in- output

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
hi,

I am working with LMMS 1.2.2 (win 32/x86-64, Qt 5,4,2, 20150716).

System:
LAPTOP- ACER ASPIRE 3
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz 1.19 GHz
RAM- 20,0 GB (19,8 GB not used)
Type system 64-bits OS, x64-processor

On a track I have SoundFont
"General User_GS_SoftSynth v144.sf2".

Normally I can then go to midi in-out with the track button.

However, that option is not there.
Not even when I open a second or third track.

It worked on my old laptop.

What could be the cause?

regards,

Joseph van Dijck
dijck@mail.com wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:35 pm
hi,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum dijck!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
I am working with LMMS 1.2.2 (win 32/x86-64, Qt 5,4,2, 20150716).

System:
LAPTOP- ACER ASPIRE 3
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz 1.19 GHz
RAM- 20,0 GB (19,8 GB not used)
Type system 64-bits OS, x64-processor

On a track I have SoundFont
"General User_GS_SoftSynth v144.sf2".

Normally I can then go to midi in-out with the track button.

Not even when I open a second or third track.
It worked on my old laptop.
What could be the cause?
Excellent information and description! I wish i could explain why, but i really cant.
I stressed The most important part:
It worked on my old laptop
That make me believe that it has to be caused by your windows setup, perhaps something with rights, but why that would happen... :? i just cant see any logic in that, so most likely we need to look elsewhere..
When it did work, was that also on LMMS 2.2, or was it an earlier version of LMMS?

You also said:
Do you mean that the menu in the drop-down simply dos not got that option??
https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/3-navi ... ttings-bar
That would be ..odd

Can you explain exactly what it is you want to do with MIDI-IN/OUT? Is it because you want to connect a MIDI-keyboard?
Hi Musicbear,

sorry for my late response. had covid 19.

what I mean is:
1) from the instruments menu (plugins) I take for example the sf2 player and drag it into the song editor.
2) the button "actions for this track" offers the possibility to choose "midi in-output".
3) on my old laptop I get the choice between 16 tracks, or for example keyboard (if connected).
** the OS on the old laptop is win 10 64 bit LTS.
4) on the new laptop the OS is as specified earlier.
5) other problem I've found with LMMS 1.3 is:
that importing a midi file from Ableton 10 will import everything into one track.
6) Could it be that it's Windows 10?
And if so, should I report that to Microsoft?

Thanks for helping

grtz
Joseph
Alright, Joseph, see if these solve your problem:
1) and 2) and 3) etc: Click the track actions button (the gear button), click MIDI. There should be 3 options: MIDI in, MIDI out, and Open/Close MIDI CC Rack. Can you see, if the third option does what you want?
If the third option is not what you are looking for:
Then it will directly take MIDI information from (typing) keyboard by default if the instrument is open, and will take MIDI input from (MIDI) keyboard, if keyboard is plugged in. If you're plugging in a MIDI keyboard, then the MIDI keyboard will show up under options.
If I am completely wrong and you are saying the button for controlling MIDI Input/Output is not showing up at all, then it might be a problem with your install. Try a fresh install.
4): I've checked with each version of LMMS I have, at least on my windows 10. All seem to let me control input/output midi, but none have sixteen whole tracks to pick from. I don't know what the case is.
5) is a well-known LMMS problem which fails to import MIDI properly. However, try importing the same MIDI file into 1.2 and see if it works? Because if it worked on 1.2 but not 1.3 this is a new problem.

Can you give a screenshot/video explaining more about your problem? We are having trouble understanding exactly what the issue is.
hi,

I hope you received my email. I replied to : notifications@lmms.io
that's because I don't how to attach the image's.

Hey,

The printscreen I attached is LMMS on the old laptop.
There you see that I have choices to send midi in or out to one of the tracks.

"Midi in" can be used for an external keyboard or plugin.

The new laptop (specs I passed on) I have no option to send midi in or out.

Note: this applies to LMMS 1.2 and LMMS 1.3.

I often use "cordz and tonespace", I can't use all of them.

additionally, on the new laptop with LMMS 1.3 I have very bad sound. Full crack.

In the settings I can't choose "wasapi", which was possible on the old laptop.

Of course I followed your advice.
Removed LMMS 1.2 and 1.3 first.
Then cleaned up with "Ccleaner"
then rebooted and then installed LMMS 1.3.

When the problem was not solved, did the same and installed LMMS 1.2.

I hope you can help me.

regards

Joseph
hi,

meanwhile I have also searched and tried - as far as I can - to find a solution.

I solved the wasapi problem.
Besides LMMS I also installed FL studio. As it turns out, FL studio claims the wasapi file and blocks it for other applications.
So after I did FL studio uninstall, wasapi was back.

I did find another problem.

If I have loaded a file "mmpz" consisting of for example 4 tracks, and want to export this to midi, and then import it as midi, then all 4 tracks are merged into one track.

What I have also tried is the following.
I have the version LMMS that is on the old laptop :
(version: 1.2.2 (win32/x86-64, Qt 5.4.2, GCC 4.9.4 20150716 (prerelease)))
installed on the new laptop.

Now the same phenomenon is occurring.
So no "midi in-output to channels 1 - 16.
And exporting a file with multiple tracks, to midi and then importing is reduced to one track. So all tracks are in that one track.

I hope I was able to contribute something to the solution.

kind regards,

Joseph
dijck@mail.com wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:27 pm
hi,

I hope you received my email. I replied to : notifications@lmms.io
that's because I don't how to attach the image's.
It is explained in the link i gave you as you joined :)
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
And No we have not received any screenies
Additionally, on the new laptop with LMMS 1.3 I have very bad sound. Full crack.
When you use windows, the correct sound-choice is not Wasabi, but instead SDL
Switch settings to SDL, and retry. That could be the cause of your problem.
If not post the screens as described in my link, and we will tale it from there :)
No, responding to notifications@lmms.io doesn't give any of us a message.
You will need to upload screenshots to imgur, google drive, pasteboard, or any other image uploading service, then attach a link to it.

>additionally, on the new laptop with LMMS 1.3 I have very bad sound. Full crack.
Interestingly, I sometimes get an issue with LMMS where I get a lot of crackly white noise instead of sensible sound when opening a project. It goes away after some time.
For you, solution is either to wait, or to switch your audio backend in settings. First check with SDL (recommended). If not working, then try the others.

>If I have loaded a file "mmpz" consisting of for example 4 tracks, and want to export this to midi, and then import it as midi, then all 4 tracks are merged into one track.
Yes. This is a well-known issue which devs are trying to fix, but LMMS is running short of devs- especially need devs who understand how MIDI works. So this issue has been on the back burner for a while. It has been partially fixed, but not completely- see my instructions at the end of the post for MIDI export.

You are trying to change the MIDI Input/output under the MIDI tab in instrument settings!
Okay, let me instruct you the best I can.

1. Open the instrument track. See this image.

2. Go to MIDI settings. See this image.

Here, you can control MIDI Input and Output.

Note: MIDI export in LMMS is flawed. Trying to export MIDI will give you a broken file. MIDI import is also flawed: importing some types of MIDIs will work, but some types are merged.
In 1.3, the export has been somewhat patched. Therefore, an exported MIDI file generally works correctly, depending on the software you use to open it later. If you don't have 1.3 use this convertor, it's very efficient (note: it works only with .mmp files, not .mmpz).
However, trying to import a MIDI into LMMS doesn't work very well. Therefore, for any MIDI that was ever an LMMS project, in any way, and for a few other MIDI files too, all patterns will be merged into same track.

LMMS MIDI is
(a) mostly broken anyways unless you're using 1.3, in which case it's only sometimes broken;
(b) always broken if you're trying to re-import an exported MIDI.

Therefore, I suggest you avoid using MIDI format unless you need to. Try to stick to .mmp and .mmpz.
good evening,

I tried the settings as you proposed.

see image: https://imgur.com/a/hCFg3Hu

however it has the same result. No midi in- -output channel.

Could it be that it has something to do with windows 10?

rgrds

joseph