LMMS Crashing qtgui4 error

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
So I recently installed the newest version of LMMS (0.4.15, I think it's the newest) on my computer (which is, admittedly, a very old computer), and it worked for a while. Then, one day, right after I learned how to use the option to mark scales and chords, it began crashing after I opened the file browser. No matter what I do now, I can't save or open most files, samples, or presets. I can still edit projects and use the "save" feature on already saved projects, but using save as or saving new projects will bring up the file browser window and crash LMMS. I read the error report and it says qtgui4.dll is the problem. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling LMMS, but that didn't work. I am still able to run an older version of LMMS off my USB storage device, but I'd like to fix LMMS on my computer. Any help would be appreciated.
and it worked for a while.
thats the important fact.
I doubt that the marking of scales ao other GUI usage, has anything to do with your current problem. It is much more likely, that you have done something to your system, that is totally without connection to lmms. Installed something or perhaps has an addware infection.
What happens to you cpu usage before the crash?
Have you other proggies running (icq messenger skype gamespy -or similar stuf?)
It is very unlikely an lmms issue

IF.. its indeed lmms-related, (like a vst you added or some autoamtion conflict) then you Have to try a completely empty project.
Mark slales on that empty new project and see if you can run without crash

For further discection of the problem:
what is your OS and pc specs
Well, I have a pentium 4 processor and run windows XP. This is actually another computer with no internet connection, and I hadn't installed any other software. And I've tried using a blank file, but the file browser being opened always crashes LMMS, and it doesn't even save recovery files. Also, I don't know if it's something else because I can run LMMS 0.4.13 on the same computer, just off of my USB storage device.
But still 'it worked for a while' .something obvious happend..
-one peculiar lmms thing is the inabillity to handle unicode charachters. Perhaps you have made some folder/filename in your installation with unicode charachters?
Otherwise im afraid im out of 'good' idears