LMMS CPU usage overload

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello all,

This is my first post on this site, so bear with me.
I have been using LMMS for several years now. I love the program and find it very useful.
But recently, I changed my system from Ubuntu 13.04 with gnome classic (on which LMMS functioned properly) to Ubuntu studio 12.04.2 due to some stability issues I had with 13.04. Oh my computer is an Acer AspireOne with 2GB RAM and an intelAtom processor.
Since I made the switch to Ubuntu Studio, whenever I open LMMS and open a project, the CPU usage meter lingers in the yellow-red range at all times, even when nothing is playing sound. When I do try to play sound/samples it hits the red and all sound falls out.
I'm not sure why it is using so much CPU, as I said it didn't before, and I made the switch to Ubuntu studio because of the low latency kernel that was supposed to be for things like this. Anyway, I followed the advice from some various posts and played with the buffer size/latency slider in setting which made it sound horrible, but not change the CPU usage problem. I also tried giving the exact location of the sound card because it was suggested that that may also be an issue. It made no difference. I also tried making very low quality samples that also made no difference.

This initially started with the package that was in the default repositories. And I read that it was a bug from some older version of LMMS so I got the PPA for the update as per the instructions on the LMMS website and updated to version 0.4.14-rc1.
The problem didn't change.

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what I could do. Either a way to set Ubuntu studio so it runs nothing else, perhaps there is a terminal session that I can only run LMMS from? Or would it be better to use Jack to handle the sound? Or is there a stable version of LMMS maybe?
Its very frustrating because LMMS ran fine on this very computer before and I don't know what to do....

Thank you very much in advance for any help you may give me!
0.4.15 is newest version, but i have NO linux knowlegde at all..
.. you could experiment with buffersize
Otherwise i have no clue - sorry
mandragoria wrote:But recently, I changed my system from Ubuntu 13.04 with gnome classic (on which LMMS functioned properly) to Ubuntu studio 12.04.2 due to some stability issues I had with 13.04. Oh my computer is an Acer AspireOne with 2GB RAM and an intelAtom processor.
Are you using 32 or 64 bit?

I haven't compared different kernels but the ones after 12.04 are supposed to be a bit snappier I think.
The latest version of Ubuntu Studio LTS is 12.04.3 and that includes kernel upgrades.
I have the same problem since an Linux update a few weeks ago.
I found out that some of the plugins use much more power now. I'm not sure yet which one. But something like Amp, Chorus, Amplifier and such.

If you have those on a channel, try to disable all of them. Save and restart LMMS and the project. If the CPU is low now, try to enable one by one and watch the CPU meter.

Maybe that helps.

rowen
Thank you so much for the replies...

I seem to have settled the issue some how...
It kind of spontaneously resolved when I started a new project, so ???

It appears that I must compose movement at a time, and build the song in a DAW.

Good luck to all!