I wish Vestige hadn't worked! -warning

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I build my own PCs. Software is all kept up to date.
Windows 7 64bit
LMMS 0.4.15 (64bit). Win64.exe

I am new to this. Got my 1st midi instrument in November 2013. Downloaded this for the first time, never used a previous version.

The VSTs are all bang up to date. - and work correct in all other software.
Win 7 64bit is all up to date.
Sound card drivers ditto.
All drivers up to date.
No viruses.
Some VST's just don't cooperate with LMMS, it may be that you have one of them, which is causing some buggy behaviour in LMMS. Does this happen with all VSTs? Try running synth1 (a known good VSTi) and see if the same happens there.
diiz wrote:Some VST's just don't cooperate with LMMS, it may be that you have one of them, which is causing some buggy behaviour in LMMS. Does this happen with all VSTs? Try running synth1 (a known good VSTi) and see if the same happens there.
Diiz,
If you are going to reply to a thread read what you are replying to. Not one VST, the majority, lots of them tested in LMMS, the same symptom.

I wrote the original post as a warning to others. I appreciate help of course but you need to actually read the thread.
I wish I could try an older version of LMMS but you do not get the option to download the older versions, as far as I can see.

I told you clearly in this thread, it is with many VSTs, basically all of them (with the discovery yesterday of a single exception -Synth1). Read the recent thread about Synth1 elsewhere here (I would make a link to it but pages are taking several minutes to change on this site).
Not one VST, all of them - many, many of them.

it is a bug with LMMS, it has to be. Unless there is some weird, hidden setting I need to change. When all the VSTs work everywhere else (try any other DAW) as expected then there is only one logical conclusion. The current version of LMMS (which I am using) has the bug. 0.4.15

I have tried and use many, MANY VSTs. In fact I had several instances of LMMS projects with a multitude of VSTs and Synth1 is the ONLY one that is in tune with the standard (and LMMS own Synths).
So say it is 30 VSTs to 1 (with retail VSTs in that list) only Synth1 works as expected (hence it appears out of tune with the rest - which are in tune with each other IN THE WRONG KEY!.

They are all good VSTs and work correctly in everything else I had tried.

Before you tell me I am wrong are you speaking from experience with 64bit Windows and 0.4.15?
Have you actually tried 0.4.15 (current version) for Windows 64bit and checked the pitch of several tens of different VSTs (in VESTIGE) , not just Synth1 (that actually does plays ball).

If I find the cause I will post about it. I wrote this post as a friendly warning to others keyboard newbies, so they would not fall into the same trap as me.

If you do not have 0.4.15 try it. Compare VSTs (not synth1) and let the group know your own conclusions.
popeye1234 wrote:I wish I could try an older version of LMMS but you do not get the option to download the older versions, as far as I can see.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmms/files/lmms/
owallgren wrote:
popeye1234 wrote:I wish I could try an older version of LMMS but you do not get the option to download the older versions, as far as I can see.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmms/files/lmms/
Owalgren,
Thank you for the link. :D
I will try version 13 instead of 15 (assuming it is in your link). I had read reports saying that it does not have the same vestige related bugs.

Further to my earlier comments I have now tested the latest 32bit version as well as the 64bit version for Windows and exactly the same issue occurs in the same way. Also the green square workaround mentioned earlier does not work in the 32bit version with the 32bit VST plugins tried.
Fingers crossed for upgrades on version 15.
popeye, this is SO weird now that i must ask you for a specific name of one of the vst's that act different from synth1.
actually list those you have troubles with.. i meight have one of those already, and can test simply
There is only one thing that makes my back crawl: 64bits
maybe ..just may..be a weirness has crept under the radar for 64bits 0.15 -But i strongly believe NOT. (i use 32b)
Hi Musikbear,
Firstly I will apologize for anyone reading my over long posts.

I am not going to list all of them (nearly all have this issue, as discussed) trust me, it's lots.
I have given up, at least until a new version, but if you want you can try:
Piano1 if you haven't got it get it, it's excellent, best sounding Piano VST I have heard, small and free, though even more realistic with 64bit version, having superior believable velocity sensitivity.
DSK Choir
Oatmeal

Again they all play ball with each other at the same wrong pitch along with scores of other ones.

I can well believe it is an issue with 64 bit Windows except I have read that other people have this issue even when changing to the 32bit software (within 64bit windows).
Obviously I am not prepared to downgrade to 32bit Windows for LMMS!!! Especially as LMMS is the only DAW with this strange issue.

I have since tested version 13 today and found the following:
Exactly the same result in terms of pitch issue, albeit with 64bit windows a constant.
However I could move the green box over another key an incorrect position to achieve correct results (sorry if this sounds confusing, the green box is initially in the right place).
Initially it actually worked correctly with version 13 (press key, get right pitch) then after a few bars it changed to the wrong key again. No matter, moving the green bar to the wrong place solves it!
Sadly this version suffers drop out and random crashes (with VSTs). This is preferable for me, at least with a transparent fault like this I know not to use it, unlike before. 0.15 was very stable but wrong (as described).

LMMS is a great project, long may it continue. I just wish it hadn't messed my playing up thus far. Caveat emptor, except it's free! :mrgreen:
That is a really wierd problem, I have used a lot of VST's on my 32 bit LMMS, I never had pitch problems with any of them (all DSK instruments, Synth1, FMMF, mda Piano...). Have you tried reinstalling your LMMS? That may fix the problem.
A temporary fix would be to put an Pitch shifter that lowers audio one semitone down on a corresponding FX channel of your VST.
umcaruje wrote:That is a really wierd problem, I have used a lot of VST's on my 32 bit LMMS, I never had pitch problems with any of them (all DSK instruments, Synth1, FMMF, mda Piano...). Have you tried reinstalling your LMMS? That may fix the problem.
A temporary fix would be to put an Pitch shifter that lowers audio one semitone down on a corresponding FX channel of your VST.
Hi Umcuraje,
Thank you. I have tried 64bit and 32bit (albeit in 64bit win) version 0.4.15. Earlier today the less stable version 0.4.13.
In a nutshell: same issue with 32bit, 64bit and the earlier 0.4.13 in 32bit/64bit.

Temporary fix does work, I had been changing pitch already. I can sort the pitch for each VST each & every time I load the program (since it does not remember to do this itself, despite remembering the pitch change figure).

I had given up but I will try to stick with it for a while longer, especially as the forum pages are now turning properly so I can read the comments for help (if you didn't visit yesterday or earlier today it was horridly slow).
I will try it again and look at the FX channels rather than using the pitch control in the container.

Midi Muso's do like their 32bits, must be luddites at heart. I know it took long enough to prize them off their 16bit Atari STs! ;)
popeye1234 solved it by moving the green box 7 semitones to the left, as I have to with DSK Akoustik Guitar.

It would of course be cool if we found out why some VST's (or most of them) doesn't correspond natively with LMMS. They all follow another standard, or what?